C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter ground

Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter ground

I just put headers on my 77 with automatic transmission. I put these on last week. I had it up on a lift today at the shop where the transmission leaks are being looked at. I noticed that the headers are touching the starter ground wire. I have not done much driving since the headers, nothing more than around the block, and the wire is already melting (no surprise). The mechanic said there are short starters that would give me more room, but I do not want to spend the money on a new starter if I do not have to. Are there any longer ground wires so I can reroute it, or some steel ground wires? What do you guys suggest I do?
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you can get about any length ground cable you want at the auto parts stores. Also, it doesn't have to go to the starter, mine doesn't. There should be a threaded boss on the right side of the block or in the front of the block too.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

When I had headers on my 79 I moved the starter end of the big ground cable to the front of the motor.
By the fuel pump there's a bolt around the corner for the AC lower brace. That was my new hookup.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Oh, so it is not a ground for the starter. I will probably just move it then. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That cable is not just for the starter. It electrically connects the engine block to the frame. If you need to move it away from the headers, fine, but you need to replace it somewhere else. Otherwise there will be no ground for the starter, distributor or alternater. Nothing will work.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Just ran into the exact same problem on my 81. Had to take off the right side header to get enough clearance to take off the ground cable. Good thing I went through the effort because the cable was fried. It would have failed in another couple hundred miles anyhow.
Looks like I'll use the same length cable and run it to the lower A/C bracket where KapsSA recommends.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

the hi torque mini starters are great for headers since they are smaller they dont quite get so hot...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
taylorbg
Advanced

Just got done moving that wire. I bought a new one, and took the end that was connected the the starter bracket, and moved it to the air conditioner bracket.

I was curious, so after I took the old one off, and before I put the new one on, I tried to crank it. The engine was turning over, so there was still power. I didn't try to fully start it. Just wanted to see if it would have lost all power like some had said. Either way, once I got it all back together again, it cranked right up.

While I was under there, I went ahead and replaced the charcoal canister that I had bought about 2 years ago and never put on.

I sure do wish I could stay as clean those guys on tv. oh well, what fun is it if you don't get dirty.

Thanks for the info on that cable guys.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
the hi torque mini starters are great for headers since they are smaller they dont quite get so hot...
I just put one on this week. You can get one real cheap on fleabay.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorbg
Just got done moving that wire. I bought a new one, and took the end that was connected the the starter bracket, and moved it to the air conditioner bracket.

I was curious, so after I took the old one off, and before I put the new one on, I tried to crank it. The engine was turning over, so there was still power. I didn't try to fully start it. Just wanted to see if it would have lost all power like some had said. Either way, once I got it all back together again, it cranked right up.

While I was under there, I went ahead and replaced the charcoal canister that I had bought about 2 years ago and never put on.

I sure do wish I could stay as clean those guys on tv. oh well, what fun is it if you don't get dirty.

Thanks for the info on that cable guys.
I'm going to guess that the engine was finding it's ground through the drive shaft or clutch linkage. Not a good long term situation.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

trying to start with no Motor GNd. wire in place,
can burn up other wiring,... DO NOT DO THAT.
(you go lucky this time) and did not toast other wires.

your pulling a couple hundred amps to the starter.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter ground

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter ground