C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keisler reproduction titanium-aluminum alloy Bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to keep sounding like your dad, but the NHRA, who knows a little something about safety, won't let you on the track without a scatter-shield if you're running less than a 12 sec ET.

The calculators tell us that in good conditions, it only takes 400 rear wheel HP to propel your 3500 Vette (you in it) to a 12 sec ET. 400 HP is child's play in the 21st century. You may not be there yet, but you will always be looking to add HP if you're anything like the rest of us.

Laslty, should you ever do bonsai's with a passenger in the front seat, a blown flywheel or pressure plate could ruin their day too.

You already need a bellhousing. Spend the extra few dollars. Here's a good choice (for an 11" clutch), but there are several nice options:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTI-RM-6022/

Last edited by 73, Dark Blue 454; 03-26-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

$560 is cheap insurance considering what your feet are worth, not to mention the 20k hospital bill (or more).
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok
New SFI bell housing is on my shopping list
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

+1 on the Quicktime scattershields. They're by far the nicest I've seen. Much lighter than Lakewood, better access to the bell housing bolts, and usually dead on alignment-wise so you don't need offset dowel pins.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at the Quick time bell housing and I have a small concern:

If you look at the picture of the bell housing mating surface the inner ring for the transmission has been cut.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTI-RM-6022/?rtype=10

Now, if you look at the picture of my T10 transmission you can see that the transmission is quit narrow and it looks as the bell housing will be exposed to any elements because the transmission will not cover the bell housing cut out surface.

Is this bell housing suitable for my T-10

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

This is probably the best deal on the block. If you want the res paint and the SFI (Sticker) it is only $100 some more dollars

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-77-150/
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Dont worry about the bell being open to the elements. I have an RM-6022.

You cannot and should not put a clutch fork boot on so that the bell can breathe. The Bell with block saver completely closes off the bell except for the fork opening.

I spoke with the quicktime guys about putting a fork boot on it and they said DONT. You want air to get in there.

From Ross McCombs at quicktime

"No clutch boot available. We recommend leaving this open to allow air flow to the clutch. The velocity of air coming from this opening during operation will not allow any debris to enter this opening. By closing this hole on an SFI bellhousing will prevent airflow and make the clutch operate at a much higher temperature which will shorten the life and operation of the clutch. "

Originally Posted by C3Paul
Looking at the Quick time bell housing and I have a small concern:

If you look at the picture of the bell housing mating surface the inner ring for the transmission has been cut.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTI-RM-6022/?rtype=10

Now, if you look at the picture of my T10 transmission you can see that the transmission is quit narrow and it looks as the bell housing will be exposed to any elements because the transmission will not cover the bell housing cut out surface.

Is this bell housing suitable for my T-10

Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I bought that insurance when I installed the TKO600 in my '71, I still can't regret it. BTW, I got the QT 6022 bell and its absolutely awesome.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
This is probably the best deal on the block. If you want the res paint and the SFI (Sticker) it is only $100 some more dollars

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-77-150/
gkull,..that bell isn't SFI
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 AM
tdereggi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm calling Bull-Shxx on that quote. Cop-out answer. Although I fully understand the need for airflow cooling, leaving it open is just trading one risk for another. That guy clearly doesn't live in the country, (woods and gravel roads). Id give it a month before that clutch was smothered with Mouse guts. This is why they invented "screens". I consider it almost irresponsible for a manufacturer not to make one. They can make a $300 add-on window, but not a screen boot? When someone pays $700 -$1000 for something they really aren't looking for DIY fabrication to the part. I agree the QT product looks like fine workmanship, but that's no excuse for not making a boot. Why do they make a boot for the Lakewood?

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
Dont worry about the bell being open to the elements. I have an RM-6022.

From Ross McCombs at quicktime

"No clutch boot available. We recommend leaving this open to allow air flow to the clutch. The velocity of air coming from this opening during operation will not allow any debris to enter this opening. By closing this hole on an SFI bellhousing will prevent airflow and make the clutch operate at a much higher temperature which will shorten the life and operation of the clutch. "
Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by htown81vette
When the times comes, I'm getting an SFI bellhousing. I don't care how much it costs.

Watch this video and then make up your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtJUVyEyYY

Even with a steel FW know theres a risk, clutches can come apart at idle or low speeds and do serious damage;its rare but happens

Didnt like spending the money buying a scattershield but didnt like holding my breath wondering, block saver a plus too!

It only takes once, (like laying a bike down on the fwy)not worth it

Last edited by cv67; 06-09-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:17 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

This thread is from 2012...

Last edited by Metalhead140; 06-09-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:01 AM
tdereggi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
This thread is from 2012...
Yes, but still relevent. And why this topic is frustrating. The Boot cover problem has existed for over 5 years, you'd think the manufacturers would have solved the problem by now. :-( (or a third party manufacturer, as there is clearly a market for one)

But I do not mean to negate the value of the products though. There are very few options out there, but all appear to be well respected.
I need an SFI bellhousing. The delima isnt whether to buy one, its which one to buy, and the best way to cover the hole.
(im probably gonna fabricate a steel frame around screen fastened with screw rotating clamps on inside.)

Quicktime 6022 (Steel)- Pros: ligthtweight (18lbs), easier install w/ probability of near perfect aligned out of the box, streamlined footprint with optimal clearance and bolt access. Cons: minimal metal around bolt holes could be more suceptable to cracking, more expensive ($680-$1000 w/ window).

Lakewood 15000lkw (steel)- Pros: Solid as a rock everywhere, has boot, less expensive ($450-$550 w/ boot). Cons: heavy (weight?), harder install because more probable that it could need aligning with dowel pins, minimal clearance to access bolts.

Mcleod 8530 (aluminum, titanium liner) = Pros: super light (13 lbs), appears very streamlined (like the quicktime), one model fits all trans, with swappable plates to protect the investment, has inspection window, most expensive ($1050)

The MCleod is looking better and better for only $50 more. But at half the cost, the lakewood is hard to ignore. Cant go wrong with Quicktime but, without slave mounts, requiring hydraulic bearing, I'd think the window would be almost essential, bringing the cost almost to that of the mcleod.

Quick Reply: Keisler reproduction titanium-aluminum alloy Bell housing