C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 AM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default More tranny problems

Got the tranny back into the car finally. BUT now it won't shift out of reverse. 1-2 & 3-4 are in neutral but reverse won't come out of gear.

I know for sure we put in the reverse shifter shaft locking pin. But it is not in there anymore. The shaft now slides in and out about 3/4 of an inch. The lever will move and it feels like it is shifting but I don't think it is.

Do I have to take the tranny out and dis-assemble it again?

shmoky

PS where can I get a reverse shifter shaft locking pin?

Last edited by shmoky; 04-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
76stingracer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have not got the reverse gear in the slot on the part that sits in the reverse lever. Could have even fell out inside the tail shaft housing. If this is the case the tail shaft will need to be slid back a little to get the gear situated correctly. I say pull the trans and start investigating and shift the trans before putting it back in.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I thought too 76.

Should I be able to turn the shaft if the tranny is in gear while it is on the bench? Then I can check every gear. It seemed to shift in all gears when it was on the bench before, but never tried to turn the shaft.

shmoky

Get notified of new replies

To More tranny problems

Quick Reply: More tranny problems