C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet Divorce Coil Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Quadrajet Divorce Coil Setup

Does anyone have or tell me where to find a simplistic step by step assembly procedure with pictures for my 69 divorced choke assembly. I have searched this forum and the web. I emailed Lars and his mailbox is full. Wish I never had it taken apart.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What part are you having a problem with?
35 & 37 or 56 & 57
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
I emailed Lars and his mailbox is full. Wish I never had it taken apart.
I haven't received an e-mail from you - my mailbox is not full, and I'm receiving 50-70 tech request e-mails/day from other people. I can send you the choke setup procedure if you drop me a note.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very basic but it worked for me. Just took a while to find it.

Divorced Choke Systems (1967-1974)
 Disconnect the divorced choke rod from the lever on the passenger side of the carb. Leave it attached to the choke coil box on the manifold.
 Open the throttle slightly and fully close the choke by pushing on the lever arm that the disconnected rod normally attaches to.
 Push the choke rod all the way down into the choke coil until it hits the stop. If the engine is dead cold, it may already be bottomed out.
 At this position, the top of the choke rod should be level with the bottom edge of the choke rod hole in the lever on the carb.
 Bend the rod to obtain this relationship.
 Once complete, hook the rod back up to the lever.
 With the rod hooked up, push the choke rod back down to the seated position once again. This should fully close the choke blade. If the choke blade is not fully closed in this position, bend the choke intermediate rod that comes up through the body of the carb and attaches to the choke blade lever. Bend the rod so that the choke blade is fully closed.
 Remove the short piece of vacuum hose attaching the choke pulloff to the vacuum nipple on the carb. Attach a long (about 2’) vacuum hose to the pulloff.
 Crack the throttle slightly and push down on the divorced choke rod to close the choke fully. Release the throttle. Keep light finger pressure on the choke rod to maintain light closing pressure on the choke.
 Suck on the vacuum hose to retract the choke pulloff. If the pulloff does not retract, it must be replaced.
 With the pulloff fully retracted and light finger pressure on the choke rod, use your other hand to lightly push down on the forward lower edge of the choke blade to simulate to force of the air across the blade. This will open the choke slightly. At this point, measure the distance between the forward lower edge of the choke blade and the forward wall of the airhorn. This distance should be ¼”. You can use a ¼” drill bit as a simple gauge to check it. To adjust, bend the tang on the choke linkage where it contacts the choke pulloff rod.
 Re-attach the vacuum hose to the pulloff and the carb.

This completes choke adjustment for a divorced choke carb.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default My bad!

I thought you took the choke apart, now I understand you needed to know how to adjust it.

Get notified of new replies

To Quadrajet Divorce Coil Setup

Quick Reply: Quadrajet Divorce Coil Setup