C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side door handle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
GOLF72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Driver side door handle

The exterior door handle is very hard to open. I have to depress on the handle all the way down with signifigant force and pressure before it opens the door.

What do you think the problem is? Should I replace the handle assembly or are there some internal rods you thnk could be the problem?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the door panel off and have a look. Make sure everything is connected as it should be. Lubricate the mechanism to see if that improves it. If no improvement, you may want to look into getting new parts to refresh the system.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi G72,
I agree that it could be other problems besides the handle itself.
The rod that runs from the handle mechanism to the latch could need to be adjusted, or...
The latch mechanism itself could need to have the old lubricant, (which has probably gotten hard), cleaned out, and new white lithium grease put in, or...
the door itself has sagged at the rear which puts a lot of latching pressure on the striker, which makes the latch mechanism difficult to operate.
If it's the striker alignment, the door might be hard to close too, is it?
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side door handle

Quick Reply: Driver side door handle