C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After a LOT of work on the suspension of my 74

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default After a LOT of work on the suspension of my 74

Replacing the shocks (the original 1974 factory models) all the bushings and bringing most everything else up to modern standards my car is sitting higher on the front end than it was before.

I do know that the Rear leaf spring needs to be replaced, which I am currently searching the vendors for the best replacement part AND price. I am also replacing the stabilizer bar and bushings.

Do you think that the Leaf Spring replacenment will help to solve the front to rear balance issue? Are there any other possible problems I am over-looking?

Thanks for the help-
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Did you replace the spring or put the old one back in?
If it's new springs, they should settle a little.

If it's the same spring, the shocks and bushings shouldn't make it sit any higher.

1.. Is the spring indexed properly in the upper pocket? The bottom end of the coil should be back from the hole at the end of the pocket

2.. Was the suspension loaded when you tightened the A-arm bushings? If they were hanging when tightened, they may be holding the suspension from going nicely where it should go

Mooser
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mooser
Did you replace the spring or put the old one back in?
If it's new springs, they should settle a little.

If it's the same spring, the shocks and bushings shouldn't make it sit any higher.

1.. Is the spring indexed properly in the upper pocket? The bottom end of the coil should be back from the hole at the end of the pocket

2.. Was the suspension loaded when you tightened the A-arm bushings? If they were hanging when tightened, they may be holding the suspension from going nicely where it should go

Mooser

It is the old, (original 74 spring) which I think may need replacing, I do know that the stabilizer bar and bushings need to be replaced for sure. I guess the real question is that the height change happened after replacing the shocks..........?????????????????
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said you replaced all the bushings. Did you replace the upper and lower control arm bushings? If so, that's what Mooser's talking about. You have to tighten the bolts that hold the control arm bushing in place with the front end settled otherwise you get your nose in the air. If all you did was replace shocks either the shocks are wrong or the install is incorrect (which would be hard to do...). What shocks did you use? You said you brought everthing else up to modern standards, what's that mean?

The rear spring shouldn't have anything to do with how the front end sits. Can you post pics?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes to everything damoroso said above. Sounds like a classic error in putting the springs back in wrong. Did you do the work or did a shop? How much higher is it? Post some pics.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Yes to everything damoroso said above. Sounds like a classic error in putting the springs back in wrong. Did you do the work or did a shop? How much higher is it? Post some pics.
I just went through this on my 75.
The top of the springs are not seated.

I had mine put in by a shop here in town.
I had them reinstalled by a better shop here in town.
1 1/2 hours labor.

Look familiar?

Ralph

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by Ralphbf
I just went through this on my 75.
The top of the springs are not seated.

I had mine put in by a shop here in town.
I had them reinstalled by a better shop here in town.
1 1/2 hours labor.

Look familiar?

Ralph

You got da' LOW-RIDER !!!!!!!!!!!! Cheech would be proud.

Al-righhhhttttt!!!!!!

Last edited by bmans vette; 05-31-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

I think the problem must be the top of the springs are NOT seated properly. Looks like I have to have this done properly
Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

The springs have Cutouts where they fit in. I am probably sure they are done properly. It seems you would hear it if they were not seated properly.

The mechanic thinks the LEAF SPRING is worn out it lets the rear end squat down.

He is going to check it to make sure it is installed properly though.

We shall see
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I'd still bet on the spring not being in the top pocket properly. The bottom one doesn't seem to matter as much as long since it should end before the drain hole, but the top does and is hard to see if it's in right.

You'd have to bring the rear down a lot to have the weight transfer off the front enough to raise it very high at the wheel well, tip of the nose maybe but not the pivoting point

What's the measurement from the ground to top of the fender arch?
Mooser
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi A,
I'm curious about what makes you think the stabilizer bar needs to be replaced; and also why your mechanic thinks the rear spring needs to be replaced.
Have you checked the rear ride-height dimension? That may give you some concrete info about the condition of the rear spring.
I know.... 'questions' not 'answers', but pehaps necessary questions so you can make a good choice.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Thanks guys I am going to check all this out.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mooser
I'd still bet on the spring not being in the top pocket properly. The bottom one doesn't seem to matter as much as long since it should end before the drain hole, but the top does and is hard to see if it's in right.

You'd have to bring the rear down a lot to have the weight transfer off the front enough to raise it very high at the wheel well, tip of the nose maybe but not the pivoting point

What's the measurement from the ground to top of the fender arch?
Mooser

I am going to check all of these things tomorrow and give you the results.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi A,
I'm curious about what makes you think the stabilizer bar needs to be replaced; and also why your mechanic thinks the rear spring needs to be replaced.
Have you checked the rear ride-height dimension? That may give you some concrete info about the condition of the rear spring.
I know.... 'questions' not 'answers', but pehaps necessary questions so you can make a good choice.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi A,
Regards,
Alan
What is the factory "correct" ride-height dimension? What are the correct meaurements?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi A,
Very near the front of the AIM is a sheet titled "Trim Heights". In 71 it's UPC 0, Sheet A-12.
There are dimensions to measure the body relative to the ground (tire size affects these), and also dimensions to measure the suspension (wheels, tires, etc., don't affect them).
Do you have a 74 AIM? If not perhaps someone can send you a scan of the sheet.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't have one, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll scan you the sheet in the AIM you are looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To After a LOT of work on the suspension of my 74

Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT

The top of the springs were NOT seated properly. That is the problem with the height issue on the front end. We will have to fix that in the shop tomorrow. Should not be too big of an issue

I am hoping.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT

The top of the springs were NOT seated properly. That is the problem with the height issue on the front end. We will have to fix that in the shop tomorrow. Should not be too big of an issue

I am hoping.
I wish you good luck with that. Our cars are twins.

I have done a lot of suspension work last and this year with no problems. I guess the shop made a mistake on the front springs.

Last edited by Paul L; 06-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

that's good news. i was going too suggest some off road tires and locking hubs. that upper pocket gets alot of people who don't work on alot of Corvettes

Quick Reply: After a LOT of work on the suspension of my 74