C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A better 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
claydennis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A better 350

I have a '72 Corvette that is almost completely stock and origional, but it's getting time to consider some engine work. This car is a 350 4spd air car.

I don't really want to change things to a 383, but I'd like to bump up to 300 bbh or so, but keep things relatively stock like. I know I need to look for cam, lifters and intake, vale covers and fuel pump, but what are the staples I should be looking for? What am I looking at price wise? I won't go cheap, but I also don't want a street dragger either.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clay
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact thing with my 72 and from what I understand the first place to start is a good tune, then headers and exhaust. From there cam and heads. Once you get past there it's easier and maybe cheaper to get a crate motor.

Sully
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
claydennis
6th Gear

Thanks. I've had some look at it, but really want an experienced classic motor guy to tune it. I'll look at the heads first.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Just my opinion but headers and chrome valve covers UNoriginal a car fast. Its not irreversable by any means but you may have to cut the exhaust to mate the headers.

You are at a fork in the road. Original vs hotrod, invest in the cars resale value or invest in the fun factor. Do I keep it original because I may sell it some day or do I do what I want to in regard to future restofications with improved performance in mind.

Headers are kinda like a tattoo, you are somewhat commited at that point. They do make 2.5 in rams horns. That would look original but flow a little better.

ps. I totally have headers.

Last edited by johnt365; 09-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont need to get too carried away to get 300hp plenty here have some proven bang for the buck combos.

Far as originality dont worry about it .

Guy that bought my numbers matching 73 couldve cared less as he was gonna mod it anyway. The # matching guys just wanted to pick the car apart tire kick and ask stupid questions all day. Meantime I didnt get full enjoyment out of the car worrying about "value". What a friggin waste that was, never again.

Make the car how you want it not how some ficticious future buyer "might want it".
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
claydennis
6th Gear

Default both sides

Strangely, I'm pulled to both sides.

I'm not too worried about resale as I plan to keep it, but actually having one that HASN'T been modified is sort of cool and unique.

I have no visions of driving 200 mph in a 40 year old fiberglass car with only a lap belt, so maybe a good tune and new exhaust is in order. Then, if I ever HAVE to have the engine worked on, it'll be easier to justify. Will a good exhaust make any different at all, if mine is the original?

I'm also looking to pick up a C7 fairly soon, which should satisfy my power lust. I'm just looking to dial in the C3 and give it some panther purring.

Will a new exhaust make any difference?

Last edited by claydennis; 09-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I really wouldn't mess with anything external - there are so few originals out there. It does have an impact on how much power you can make...but there's still room for upgrades.

Mild cam upgrade and a tune would be as far as I would go - but that's just me

I'm willing to bet there's $$$ to be spent in other areas like chassis, suspension and brakes...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by claydennis

Will a new exhaust make any difference?
As someone who who just finished headers and dual exhaust 2 weekends ago, if the question is about performance, the answer is yes, you will feel it. i dont really understand why anyone would poo poo headers over stock, i understand some guys want things stock, wheels, interior, paint color etc. , but not something that is gonna make them faster and sound better then the other guy
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About 4 months ago I put a new crate motor in my 81. It's a 350/300Hp, I got it from Pace Performance and I really love it. It was a long block and came with a new Edelbrock intake manifold. I bought the motor a few months before I installed it so its about a year aog now. It was $2,195 delivered to my house.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
claydennis
6th Gear

I've thought of replacing the engine too. Especially considering the compression of mine. That way I could store the original, but still have some fun. I'll check out Pace. Thanks.

Was it just drop in ready? Or will there be some conversions to make?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I don't get the aftermarket Go fast thing. I have waisted too much cash at Speed shops in the 1980's only to be disappointed.
My '72 is original 100,000 car that suits me fine, it will do a 100 miles an hour and put a smile on my face, don't get me wrong I love Big HP cars but how fast can you drive without going to jail or killing someone.I guess thats why tracks have opened there doors to car clubs
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 PM
George Ries
Instructor

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Personally I don't get the aftermarket Go fast thing. I have waisted too much cash at Speed shops in the 1980's only to be disappointed.
My '72 is original 100,000 car that suits me fine, it will do a 100 miles an hour and put a smile on my face, don't get me wrong I love Big HP cars but how fast can you drive without going to jail or killing someone.I guess thats why tracks have opened there doors to car clubs
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

you can get a cam kit from comp cams,it includes cam,and lifters..maybe consider the 268 extreme energy cam or smaller.I like the elderbrock air gap ,but that won't fit with a air cleaner.the rpm performer is a good intake. get a new timing chain also.look at competition products for good prices.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I think the market for go fast parts is a lot better than it was, even 10 years ago. The dollar goes a lot farther now than it did then, and the amount of knowledge about how to properly build stuff is much more well distributed thanks to the internet.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
claydennis
6th Gear

Now looking at Heads, Headers, intake exhaust.

Any suggestions on long tube, or not?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'd start with doing long tube headers matched to the heads you PLAN on running.

I think it's much better to build a motor as a complete package, but if you decide to throw heads on to your current block, you should do a cam and appropriate intake at the same time.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

I've thought of replacing the engine too. Especially considering the compression of mine. That way I could store the original, but still have some fun. I'll check out Pace. Thanks.

That is exactly what I would do. Consult a good machinist, but you may have to deck the block and that may remove the original numbers. While the original motor still has guts, drop in a crate motor and store the original.

Price out a create motor and the cost to rebuild, they are actually pretty close. I went with a Golen motor as it allowed me to customize the parts I wanted.

Get notified of new replies

To A better 350

Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It went right in, no problems and it started right uo, no problems.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by George Ries
You guys must be really old...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Avette4me
You guys must be really old...
I don't think they're old, Just very wise!
Duane

Quick Reply: A better 350