C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding remote control to existing electric door locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Adding remote control to existing electric door locks

Here is the mod I did to add remote locks to my 81. I used a Viper 350 alarm system and replaced the factory alarm. Mounted it in the original location and used most of the original wireing.
To make the locks work you have to use relays because the alarm box can't handle the current of the lock actuators.
This is what I did.
Cut the 2 grounds from the passenger door lock switch and extended them into the cabin to the relays mounted on the W/S frame behind the glove box. The CTYSY circuit runs right there so it is handy for power, Orange wires in the pic. The yellow are grounds, small red are the alarm Lock and Unlock wires and the bigger red are the extensions from the door switch pins B and E. I used Bosch 30 amp relays, the colors are what was on the sockets for the relays. The splices to the wire harness are soldered and heat shrinked, terminals used on the relay connections.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Nice, but relay sockets are a better choice than spade terminals:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-075
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had them on there and then took them off, didn't care for the look and they seemes unnecesesary, cut the wires off the sockets and used them for the relay. Don't think they are going anywhere
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, many remote alarm systems have had all of these features built into them for years, as installed a remote Crimestopper into another(non Vette) car years ago. Remote window locks/trunk lid/and alarm, with the module already having power relays built in, so didn't need to add any. Sure am glad I had the car's wiring diagram, though.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM
mattowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sixfooter - thanks for the info. That's the exact alarm system I'm planning on installing.

I have manual door locks on my car, so I guess I just need to find the blue wire for the "open door switch and connect that to the control unit for the 350, one for each door, correct?

I see it has a fob that indicates which sensor was tripped - did you make use of that functionality in your wiring? Ie, did you wire each door sensor, each roof panel sensor, and the hood sensor independently into the 350, so when the alarm is tripped, the fob will show you which point of entry was used?

I guess you could use the "back door" on the fob to indicate the each roof panel, if it doesn't have a t-top mode.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM
mattowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooops... sorry for the post above. I missed your quoted in-line comments over in my other thread which answered these questions. Please disreguard.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding remote control to existing electric door locks

Quick Reply: Adding remote control to existing electric door locks