C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting after it gets warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard Starting after it gets warm

I have been having an issue strating the car after it gets warm. Starts right up in the morning, but after it gets warm and I turn it off and then restart its really hard to start, almost have to keep the pedal to the floor to get it going...

Timing and such is all great, done to specs from Lars. Thinking maybe vapor lock, no return hooked up... Once it starts runs fine...
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kcarlasc
I have been having an issue strating the car after it gets warm. Starts right up in the morning, but after it gets warm and I turn it off and then restart its really hard to start, almost have to keep the pedal to the floor to get it going...

Timing and such is all great, done to specs from Lars. Thinking maybe vapor lock, no return hooked up... Once it starts runs fine...
What are the exact symptoms of "its really hard to start"?
- Turns over slow and groans?
- Turns over fast but doesn't fire?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

check your float level - most hot-starting, fuel related problem come from the carb flooding the motor when it's hot. typically, one of the best signs is it's starting a lot easier (because it's richening the motor more than normal).

Also, you can turn the motor off (when hot), look down the carb and see if fuel is continuing to drip into the motor from the booster venturi

Here's a circuit - no idea what is on your car, but they all, basically, are the same - they draw fuel from the bowl into the motor, as there's no check valve, pressurizing the tank will cause fuel to come out of these venturis (or having too high a float level, or a sunk float)
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (07-08-2018)
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Try this too, next time you dive the car and get things warmed up, when you shut it down, pull the air cleaner and look down the carb. You are looking for fuel draining or dripping after the car is turned off.

The fuel gets hot, boils and drips out flooding the motor. (this would be if the starter spins fast/normal but no start.) If this happens, try holding down the throttle to clear the flood while you start.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Originally Posted by pws69
What are the exact symptoms of "its really hard to start"?
- Turns over slow and groans?
- Turns over fast but doesn't fire?
As I said.. pretty much have to keep the pedal to the floor.. like its not getting any fuel...sounds like what is mentioned below... but I dont see any fuel in the carb
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnt365

Try this too, next time you dive the car and get things warmed up, when you shut it down, pull the air cleaner and look down the carb. You are looking for fuel draining or dripping after the car is turned off.

The fuel gets hot, boils and drips out flooding the motor. (this would be if the starter spins fast/normal but no start.) If this happens, try holding down the throttle to clear the flood while you start.
Fuel is definitly hot... run right next to heater hose on the intake, trying to move it away from there... and as you said.. when I hold down the throttle it starts...
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

I should mention.. brand new Holly Ultra Street Avenger.. but had the same issue with the edelbrock that was on there....
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

IF, the conditions are right you can sometimes actually hear fuel percolating in the bowl. Lowering the float level can help keep it from boiling over. That carb has external adjustments so you could experiment pretty easy. Also a heat insulator/shield may help.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Hard starting after it warms up

You mentioned that your fuel line runs close to a heater line. The real issues is the heat from the intake manifold heating up your carb and perculating the fuel in the bowls. I race vintage and had this problem at one time. I run a little lower level of fuel in the bowls and have the extended vent but the solution to stop the boiling was insulating the carb from the manifold. However, try lowering the fuel level first to see if that works, as suggested by others.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

As I said.. pretty much have to keep the pedal to the floor.. like its not getting any fuel...sounds like what is mentioned below... but I dont see any fuel in the carb
the fuel is going out the tube, onto the butterflies, into the manifold and vaporizing..... thus making too rich a mixture because now the a/f ratio is wayyyy off... by putting the pedal to the floor you open up the butterflies and increase the amount of air in the plenum. That brings the a/f ratio to a condition where it can run.

the fact it's a holley makes me believe in my original advice even more - and it's soooo easy to lower the float level on a holley - IIRC a 9/16 box end and a screw driver.

here's a youtube on how-to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-mIk6nEYQ
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Will give the float adjustment a try this weekend, also going to relocate the fuel line as well..

Thanks!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Will give the float adjustment a try this weekend, also going to relocate the fuel line as well..

Thanks!!!
Old trick to find out whether or not it's too much heat in the fuel line - wrap the fuel line in aluminum foil. Shape the foil in a tear drop shape. And generally speaking it's the line going up the front of the motor that's the problem.

Also, if it is getting too hot, run a fuel pressure regulator off the back of the carb then back down the return fuel line. The least amount of time the fuel is in the line, the less chance you'll have for vapor lock/heat soak in the line.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

hook up return and route lines away from heat. Use 4 hole heat isolater gasket carb base.
if it is still a problem a $3 fan and duct to cool air works for me 100%. i just switch it on when in doubt.
a carb appreciates a cool breeze!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You might also have an electrical problem in the starter system. If the main power feed wire and/or the frame-to-starter/engine ground cable are deteriorated or not making good contact, that could cause the same problem. Your starter solenoid could also be at fault. IMO, the only way the starter motor could cause such a problem is if the commutator brushes are worn out and making poor contact.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 PM
ktmdon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter overheating ?

I had this problem years ago with my 73. The starter was overheated. Is your heat shield missing ?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM
hdpete98
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To much initial spark advance is usually the problem.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

That's another good possibility.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Starting after it gets warm

Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

When was the last time you changed your battery? Might not have enough cranking amps.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it act like this when trying to warm start it? Looking to see if maybe we have the same problem.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
kcarlasc
Instructor

I never gave the starter a thought.... There is no heat shield so that could be it espicaliy since I had the same issue with the edelbrok carb.

Battery is a red top and is only about a year old and cranks well...

Quick Reply: Hard Starting after it gets warm