C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C7 has a resemblance to the C3

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

The thing I disagree with the most is the fact that they call it a stingray. I could care less about the rear end, the interior, the head lights etc. The fact that they can call it a stingray by adding a fish emblem on the side is a joke. Some say, look at the front fenders etc. They are almost identical to a C6, and no one calls those stingrays. Looks nothing like a C3 of ANY year, should not be a stingray in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get this with the Corvette motor and better styling

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11301145...destino-debuts
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that Chevrolet did not 'Jump The Shark' with this design. I am objective but also look to past successes to help me see the future. I have studied this car but I can only see about 25% Corvette and 75% foreign market.

I agree with change and have accepted a lot i.e. 2010 Camaro, Challenger but got lost with the front end of the Mustang. I was hoping with a bit more effort for the Corvette but saw no need to bring up the name 'Stingray' at this time. (I do not dare say Sting Ray)

If you want to mix past history with present (beside high front fender lines) do so but do not confuse the consumer with rear vents behind the side glass. I am just waiting for Rain Guards to be offered.

Just my 2 bits.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geeze! I can't believe there are so may haters in a group dedicated to loving Corvettes. Maybe expectations were so high it was impossible they could be met. And we all know you can’t please everyone. I’m sure every model released had detractors but as models have aged we have learned to love them and resist change. Maybe we love classics because we can’t go back. I for one like the new Corvette and appreciate the work done by the designers and engineers who also love Corvettes. Just my 2.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

I didn't notice any "haters" in the crowd...just folks who don't like the C7's looks that much. It's still a Corvette.

Geez, your sister can have an ugly baby, but you're still an uncle.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 143 Posts

I heard a comment on it on a Yahoo post
They called it the mullet of cars Ferrari front end and Camaro rear
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I didn't notice any "haters" in the crowd...just folks who don't like the C7's looks that much. It's still a Corvette.

LOL. Good point. As Corvette owners we have a vested interest and right to be picky.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 588 Likes on 466 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

actually, the c6 has a strong resemblance to the c3. i agree the new taillights ruin it for me and i bet that will become a design change. when zora duntov was asked what is the best corvette ever made he said " the one we build next year" that may be true but it may not be the best looking.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

What I can't understand is why they can't finish the back of the newer Vettes to look cool. All the other supercars seem to have no problem and ever since the c5 came out thet curved the back up straight and flat with no sign of anyone trying to get it too look better.

Now they copied the Camaro rear end and if there was no Camaro I would that is the best rear end I have seen on a Vette since the C3's, but why can't they be a little more original ? They'll still lease enough of them though
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by resdoggie
...when you see and drive one you will be seduced...
You might be seduced, but don't include me in the group. This car does nothing for me. The C6 did nothing for me. I was not seduced by either. None of which makes a hoot's difference. GM sold every C6 they produced without my seduction.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MotorHead
What I can't understand is why they can't finish the back of the newer Vettes to look cool. All the other supercars seem to have no problem and ever since the c5 came out thet curved the back up straight and flat with no sign of anyone trying to get it too look better.

Now they copied the Camaro rear end and if there was no Camaro I would that is the best rear end I have seen on a Vette since the C3's, but why can't they be a little more original ? They'll still lease enough of them though
The bulbous rear end must be an aero driven design. I agree the C5 (fat-A) rear is the worst looking aspect of the design. The C7 is an improvement but I think the C2 and C3 look the best.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

I suspect that GM made the rear of the C7 similar to the Camaro so that they could sell more Camaros. The folks with enough money to buy the C7 probably don't care about the 'appearance' details so much as avid Corvette folks, like those on this Forum.

But, show the folks with enough money for a Camaro that the back end looks like a C7 Corvette, and they might be swayed.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry, but the C7 looks like a tarted-up C6. Which looked like a tarted-up C5. I'm really dissappointed. I was really hoping for a Mustang-Challenger-Camaro style retro-styling cues Corvette for the C7. It's a cool-looking car on it's own merit, but I was just hoping for something a little different. C'est la vie.

Scott
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
1955pirate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't shake any apples off my tree but then............I will have to confess I like all the Vettes up to and including the C3's. Beyond the C3's I lost interest as far design. Guess that shows I am an old dude.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Corvette's, I have had a C3 (still have it), C4, C5 and a C6, I don't see myself buying a C7 any time in the near future, really don't like the styling of the rear...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Just for fun here is one of many from C7 forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...otochop-4.html

..and this one for you old C3er's with fading memories..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...il-lights.html

As far as generations and styling my view is C3 to C4 went from curvy/sexy to a door stop. C5 brought back the curves and was truly a Corvette and nothing else. (hence i own one) C6 started moving back to the wedge....C7 now maybe a little more. And I do agree it appears it's going to blend in with several other vehicles that might cause the general public to rubberneck one when passes them by..maybe thats an objective

I will reserve judgment on the C7 until I see, feel and drive one..as soon as hertz has them i will.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont like the way it looks. IMO the c3 corvette has always been and will always be the best looking and most recognized Corvette body style because of its lines, curves, and looks good from ALL angles. Bill Mitchell and Larry Shinoda got it right. They kept the body style simple.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 01-17-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7 has a resemblance to the C3

Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
The thing I disagree with the most is the fact that they call it a stingray. I could care less about the rear end, the interior, the head lights etc. The fact that they can call it a stingray by adding a fish emblem on the side is a joke.
Didn't GM simply badge C2's and the first half of C3's as "Sting Ray", then "Stingray" with no other options to make it different, just the name tag?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

It probably sticks like glue, and has a drag coefficient similar to a high power rifle bullet.
When these are the criterion driving the design, all cars will start to look the same.
That said, I don't like it.
I don't like ANY new cars. That's why I drive a pickup and a C3.
Carter
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

The eternal challenge for the modern automobile designer is to keep coming up with designs that give their product a distinct identity while allowing it to perform as desired and still sell at or below a prescribed target.

Ford went through this with the Mustang from 1979 until 2005 when they finally broke down and ignored aero concerns in order to give the car back some of its original personality, and now they're running into the same problem that they had, circa 1970- how to make it look DIFFERENT without making it look like some anonymous anycar. This latest shot at a Corvette is no different, and like it or not, the car does have SOME character. It probably has more C3 cues than anything else- sharp fender creases, etc., but the reality is that when the C3 was created it was essentially a unique shape. If it took any design elements from anything it might have been the Chaparral 2A-2C sports racers of 1964-65, but really with the exception of the Mako Shark show car that was its template it was a completely original car that looked pretty much unlike anything else, and even today when people see clapped-out, rusting 180-hp rubber-bumper C3's go by their heads turn. The C3 has THAT effect on people-as crude as it was, it was the coolest-looking commonly-available car ever produced. I bought one because I think it's the best-looking of all the Corvettes and I could actually afford one without bankrupting myself. I certainly didn't buy it for sophisticated engineering...

Quick Reply: The C7 has a resemblance to the C3