C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltmeter flutter

Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
tpoulson
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Voltmeter flutter

My voltmeter seems to be confused. I've re-wired my 68, all new harnesses, new battery and new voltage regulator. Runs great but the voltmeter seems to be registering backwards and is fluttering to boot. Car runs great, lights are all bright, no issues. Did I do something as dumb as flipping the plug on the voltmeter connection or could it be something else? I'm going to try to fixed the issue without tearing out the center dash again. I can reach the meter from the passenger side but can't see the wires very well. Thoughts.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What do you mean by reading backwards? Is the flutter quick or is it more of a flick flick flick?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
tpoulson
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

The battery is being charged ok, the voltmeter reading is reading a negative 13 volts while under charging conditions. No drain problems on the battery even after long drives. The flutter is quick maybe like the belt is loose, but it seems tight. Man, this sounds more and more like a dump question from a typical backyard mechanic. But that's what I am. Thanks for any input. I hate electrical problems. The wipers on this 68 were interesting to get wired right, but work great.

Flutter or flick, flick, flick. Flick flick flick would be a better description.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Flicking can just be the mechanical points in the regulator opening and closing. Changing the load or rpm would likely change how it works.

I'm not sure how you are reading a negative voltage since I have never seen a voltmeter in a car with a negative scale. Is this an ammeter by chance. Either way, if the scale of the meter goes negative and positive and it reads backwards then reverse the wires.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Most likely a voltage regulator problem. Also, you should have an ammeter...not a voltmeter.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP...I agree...I just had one that would flick or flutter at idle. it was in the alternator. Once it was rebuilt...the amp gauge worked correctly.

As for reading backwards....switch the wires in your connector. It has happened to me also...where once I switched the wires in the two-wire connector...the amp gauge read correctly. Pull headlight switch...with ignition on...and amp gauge should go to the negative side....crank the engine..it should go to the positive side.

DUB
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
tpoulson
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Ammeter, thats what I meant. Thanks you for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Voltmeter flutter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voltmeter flutter