C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is EVERYTHING so difficult??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Why is EVERYTHING so difficult??????

Okay, I thought I'll pop the arm rest and console, and be done in 30 minutes......

You see my old crunched up Parking brake slider here....

I can't figure out how to get the new one in where it won't get crunched. Granted, my car has been dis-assembled and a lot of the parts are gone....but is there a tube or tunnel this thing feeds into? Looks like it will just take a sharp down-ward turn at the junction of armrest and console and get wadded up?

Am I missing something? Is my car missing something???? Should I go back to working on my camaro and sell this car????

AARRGGHH!!!! Thanks as always for your help! Lee
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't help....But you ain't alone my frustrated friend.....for the life of me, I can't make mine right either...
I don't use my parking brake, so I cut it. It looks good, but don't try to use it...lol!
Those things are a MAJOR PITA!!!!!!!! FREAKIN' HATE THEM!
(after #3, I gave up...........)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

assuming you have a 70 based on your profile what armrest? I have a 69 and there is no armrest on the stock console? There is a track with metal trim on the console and the slider rides in the track. I believe this is a picture of the track even though they call it a reinforcment

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1969-1976.html
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MelWff
assuming you have a 70 based on your profile what armrest? I have a 69 and there is no armrest on the stock console? There is a track with metal trim on the console and the slider rides in the track. I believe this is a picture of the track even though they call it a reinforcment

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1969-1976.html
I think mine is exactly like yours. I was using the wrong terminology.... I used the words "arm rest" to indicate the rear portion of the console. I do have the part you sent the eckler link for, and the smaller trim plate that goes at the end of that re-inforvcement strip.

The problem is that when I dis-engage the activated Parking brake, the plastic/nylon runner is trying to bunch up under the front part of the console......I know if I let it do this once, it will create memory in the piece and I'll be right back where I started.....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Ya...ill say it again....those things suck.....lol !
Man it worked my last nerve......I gave up....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

The part shown in the Eckler's link mounts to the bottom of the ebrake console. The plastic slide then travels between the "shelf" of the Ecklers bracket and the bottom surface of the console. It must travel freely or else the new part will look like the crumpled one in your photo.

BTW, I put a thin piece of felt on the front edge of my console. I can't be seen when assembled. This keeps the plastic from wearing when sliding back and forth, thereby keeping a fresh look to the slide.

Hoep this helps.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Welcome to the vette owners ward of the institute.

I've got two that pretty much look exactly like yours there. (the original and the first replacement one I installed.

It will work but it's a *()&#@^(*#$ of a thing.

I had a knot of wires behind the shifter that basically created that. Cleaned up (read as put where they should have been) and installed the "arm rest" with a new one lined up to go under the shifter bracket, several years now without a problem. (and yes I actually pull the lever now and again)

Mooser
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mooser
Welcome to the vette owners ward of the institute.

I've got two that pretty much look exactly like yours there. (the original and the first replacement one I installed.

It will work but it's a *()&#@^(*#$ of a thing.

I had a knot of wires behind the shifter that basically created that. Cleaned up (read as put where they should have been) and installed the "arm rest" with a new one lined up to go under the shifter bracket, several years now without a problem. (and yes I actually pull the lever now and again)

Mooser
I've done stuff that some guys say "wow...wish I could do that"....
But when I fail - I fail big time...LOL !
That stupid slider is one of those things that I just gave up on....
I could spit bullets at it and still would bind up .....

Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I think this might be the cause of the problem.
If the rear of the SHIFTER console is pulled/screwed down too tightly it sits on the emergency brake mechanism. There needs to be enough space left so that when the e-brake lever is moved to the off position the slide can easily move forward and UNDER the shifter console.
ALSO, the small filler piece between the front of the e-brake console and the shifter console needs to be installed, (and installed correctly), since it's what directs the slide UNDER the shifter console.
Hope this may help!
Regards,
Alan

Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im curious. Is this slider unique to the 68-76 vehicles or do all C3s have them? I have a 79 and I removed the armrest cover and did not see a slider.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Alan and everybody else...even those who just want to give me a "Mee too, brother"........

From Alan's pic, .... Just as I suspected, Murphy or Bubba beat me to this car.....The circled piece is non existent on my shifter console. My console does not have that channel relieved in the middle to direct the slider. Interestingly enough, I got PO'd with it yesterday and cut almost the same channel in the shifter console housing with a box cutter (and of course, I cut my thumb with the darn thing and quit for the night on that note).

Anyway, I'll give it a fresh "go" again this morning.... I'll snap a few pix too..... Signed, Frustrated....
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

One other compounding issue is that it appears the shifter console housing is positioned more toward the rear of the car than it should be. Not only does it contribute to obstructing the path of the P Brake runner, but also the shifter hits the shifter console "plate" in 1 st and 3rd gear....

Also, as a side note, I know when I mentioned the boxcutter, the word "Bubba" probably quickly came to mind....

Last edited by petdoc; 03-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Kinda embarassed to admit it.... I broke the dang thing..... glad they're only 5 bucks....

Get notified of new replies

To Why is EVERYTHING so difficult??????

Quick Reply: Why is EVERYTHING so difficult??????