C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Rebuild Question

So I'm doing the rear main seal/clutch/trans rebuild thing and I thought I'd go through my shifter and linkage along the way. Things were going great as I took the shifter apart it initially looked like nothing needed to be replaced... very little wear on much of anything.

Then I get my Eckler's catalog and what's on the back cover? a shifter rebuild kit. The strange thing is that the rebuild kit appears to have two of the spring-gates (not sure that's the right term for the springy crescent pieces that go between the bigger crescent pieces that pivot on the big shaft in the shifter) where my shifter only has one.

This isn't my shifter, but it looks exactly the same:

This is the rebuild kit:

Should my shifter have two of these springs?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Schaggy; 04-28-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Shifter gate

Originally Posted by Schaggy
So I'm doing the rear main seal/clutch/trans rebuild thing and I thought I'd go through my shifter and linkage along the way. Things were going great as I took the shifter apart it initially looked like nothing needed to be replaced... very little wear on much of anything.

Then I get my Eckler's catalog and what's on the back cover? a shifter rebuild kit. The strange thing is that the rebuild kit appears to have two of the spring-gates (not sure that's the right term for the springy crescent pieces that go between the bigger crescent pieces that pivot on the big shaft in the shifter) where my shifter only has one.

This is the rebuild kit:

Thanks guys!
My 1972 BB with an M20 and, I believe, the original shifter has only one gate.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Schaggy

This is the rebuild kit:

Thanks guys!
There are two reverse lock out gates, one is thicker than the other.
As your shifter ages with use the lever cage gets stretched out of square which gives the "slop" everyone complains about with our stock shifters. Truth is the original shifter is a nice unit when new. The thicker reverse lock out gate shim takes up that slop and is supposed to yield a tight shifter again. Last time I rebuilt one the slop was so bad that the thicker gate didn't do me much good so I chucked the gate cage in a vice and "resquared" it. Put the original thickness gate back in and ended up with a very nice & tight shifter. Choose your poison.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That was fast!

Mine doesn't even need the vice. Now it's time to break out the white lithium grease.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Schaggy; 04-28-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Rebuild Question

Quick Reply: Shifter Rebuild Question