C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing and Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by martaroony
Not that you'll be speeding the idle up much, but don't forget ,keep resetting the static timing , each time you adjust the idle speed.

Cause as you increase the idle up , you'll bump up the timing, be it not much , so keep checking one against the other.

You will need to end up with the idle you want ,say 700-800, if its auto ,
with the timing you want at idle, say 12 deg.
That should not happen. If it is happening, you have timing issues that need to be addressed. Mechanical advance shouldn't be kicking in until several hundred rpm past what most people would consider a normal idle speed.

Scott
Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
That should not happen. If it is happening, you have timing issues that need to be addressed. Mechanical advance shouldn't be kicking in until several hundred rpm past what most people would consider a normal idle speed.

Scott
On my vette, mechanical advance starts to kick around 1400 rpm which is way above normal idle speed for either auto or manual.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Killingsworth 73
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine IS an auto, and I have an Edelbrock 600cfm carb. When it does, I turn the key and she fires back into life effortlessly. What is a TI module? I will get the fuel pump done this week and will keep everyone updated.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Killingsworth 73
Racer

Update - changed my fuel pump, and now.... she fires up for about 2 seconds and dies. FML. I am at a loss, and ready just do an LS swap. Anyone want to buy this motor?!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Killingsworth, this will probably not be a popular opinion, but it may be time to take the car to a professional. I looked at your original post, and today is the one-month anniversary of your original post. I can sense your frustration and you have made a valiant effort, but there comes a point, where you just need to take it to someone that does this for a living. Ultimately it will be cheaper than continuing to throw parts at the car in hopes that something will fix it. My wife accuses me of doing that on my 74 sometimes, she says, "You don't know you are just guessing." Hate to say it, but sometimes that is true. I think it is time to cut your losses and send the car to a pro.

Just my $0.02

John
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Killingsworth 73
Racer

Originally Posted by LudemJo
Killingsworth, this will probably not be a popular opinion, but it may be time to take the car to a professional. I looked at your original post, and today is the one-month anniversary of your original post. I can sense your frustration and you have made a valiant effort, but there comes a point, where you just need to take it to someone that does this for a living. Ultimately it will be cheaper than continuing to throw parts at the car in hopes that something will fix it. My wife accuses me of doing that on my 74 sometimes, she says, "You don't know you are just guessing." Hate to say it, but sometimes that is true. I think it is time to cut your losses and send the car to a pro.

Just my $0.02

John
I agree. Just really frustrating. Especially since it was idling at least when I took the fuel pump off, and now no such luck. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Killingsworth 73
Racer

Had the carb rebuilt. SHE'S ALIIIVVEEE!!!! Aparently 2 of the jets were clogged with some "goop". Yeah, get to drop the gas tank in a few weeks..
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent news Killingsworth!!! I know how relieved you must be. The good news in all of this is that you learned some more about your car and that is always a good thing.

John

Quick Reply: Timing and Vacuum