C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM
LIRacer908
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Belts

I have a 1970 LT-1. I was a californis car so I believe it had A.I.R.. The fan belt pulley plate on the water pump only has two groves with one belt going for the Crank / water pump, and the other for the crank, water pump and alternator.

questions:
1. Did all LT-1 s come with AIR
2.How do you adjust the tension on a belt going only between the water pump and crank pulleys?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

1. Yes.
2. That second groove is probably for the AIR belt. There are lots of LT-1 pros on here that can either confirm or correct that statement.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi LIR,
I agree that all LT-! cars had A.I.R. systems.
There is no adjustment of the tension for the small belt that runs on the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.
If it's the right belt, and not stretched, the bolts on water pump pulley need to be loosened so it (the pulley) can be 'tipped' so the belt can be slipped on and then the pulley re-seated.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi LIR,
I agree that all LT-! cars had A.I.R. systems.
There is no adjustment of the tension for the small belt that runs on the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.
If it's the right belt, and not stretched, the bolts on water pump pulley need to be loosened so it (the pulley) can be 'tipped' so the belt can be slipped on and then the pulley re-seated.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
I just put that belt on, and could not for the life of me get the belt on using that procedure. Once I would get the belt on, I could not get the WP pulley back in correct position.

I found another procedure, posted on anther thread that worked great. I took some aluminum foil, and wrapped about a foot of the belt. Put the part of the belt with the foil around the crank pulley, and start the other end around the WP pulley. I then manually turned the WP pulley. The foil allowed the belt to slip over the crank pulley, and onto the WP pulley. It worked just like putting the chain back on your bike when you were a kid.

Get notified of new replies

To Fan Belts

Quick Reply: Fan Belts