C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Which of your AIMs is "down right wrong"? Please post the model year, the UPC and sheet number of the error.
Year: 1972
UPC: LT 1
Sheet: B1
I'm sure I could find more if I wanted to take the time.

Technically not an error for you engineers. If I only had ECR 39633

Last edited by Bullshark; 12-30-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadblock69
I think that it is quite common to ask a question here much like one would ask in conversation with friends. Most friends will simply answer.

Somtimes Ill post a question up just cause I want to "talk" cars. Sure I could search, research and dig for answers but wheres the fun in that? Been a long time since I had a group of guys hanging around watching each other take cars apart for fun. I look at the forum sort of like that,only we are all in our own shops. If you were standing in someones garage and he asked advice/help, youd get your head and hands in the car and share your experience.Not tell him to go buy a book.
Go through less beer this way though.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Maybe different years fit as illustrated in the aim but the clips on 6 fit into the rectangle on my shifter console and the pb cover goes over it.

I see your point, but it assembles equally well by inserting piece 6 into the handbrake cover then sliding the assembly onto the forward console.

Six of one, half dozen etc.

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
The headlight page could be a little clearer, you might remember corvette 101 had those
vacuum lines reversed.
The factory workers used the colour coding as the primary guide, far more idiot proof than a drawing. The headlight relays are an even better example.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All right I let you guys play for a while I hope all were entertained a bit. Happy new year and I put the word troll in the title to elicit emotional responses.

PS: I really did this to establish my block list LOLOLOLOLOL Just kidding!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Well I have to say, this thread is getting fun. My favorite part are all the people who say they had never heard of a AIM until they came to this site. There are just some vette owners who insist everything must be done to GM standards. Oh well, more power to em.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I actually agree with micks69. This thread has been useful in identifying those whom I might choose to block....namely,

micks69
Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Us Rednecks have a saying:
If you throw a rock over into the dog pen, the dog you hit will start to howl.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 74modified
Us Rednecks have a saying:
If you throw a rock over into the dog pen, the dog you hit will start to howl.
If you throw an AIM in the dog pen, will they tear it up or debate over the authenticity of the ink used in the 1st versus 2nd printing?

But seriously, I dont get it.....
Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Majoho
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
"My favorite part are all the people who say they had never heard of a AIM until they came to this site. "
Uh...Why?
I was one of 'those people'. The reference 'AIM' is not one that most people outside of the Corvette World are familiar with. Without this forum I probably still wouldn't know of it. I find the AIM very useful and am thankful that I found out about here. I do agree though, that posting "Check the AIM" without page references or preferably posting the actual page, is a cop out.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:15 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Why is everyone so upset about the American Indian Movement....???

Ooooppps........thought I was in PRC.

Bman
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Which of your AIMs is "down right wrong"? Please post the model year, the UPC and sheet number of the error.
80% er ?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you throw an AIM in the dog pen, will they tear it up or debate over the authenticity of the ink used in the 1st versus 2nd printing?

But seriously, I dont get it.....

You know that Repro parts are not as good as NOS parts right?

Well same with AIM's only the original GM published AIM are the correct ones. All others are cheap reproductions that may give less than optimal performance.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Hats off to the OP. I think the point of this thread was made and done as tactfully as possible. I, on the other hand, thought it was more fun throwing bombs at the NCRS zealots that act so pompous. Not all of you guys, just a few who probably know who you are.

Last edited by Bullshark; 12-31-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock69
I think that it is quite common to ask a question here much like one would ask in conversation with friends. Most friends will simply answer. The ones that send you to the AIM are most likely the ones that do not have the answer. I see many "snarky" replies in the C6 forum. I hope that the C3 forum can avoid that diminished level of civility. We should respond to legitimate questions with legitimate answers. I have an AIM, they are not always clear. I will try to answer questions if I have the answer. If I do not have the answer, I have the ability to simply move on and allow someone with knowledge on the subject to answer the question.

This brings to mind another thing that happens.

folks like to say "do a search" I have done it myself I admit. However I try to add something for resolution as well.

The problem occurs when I do a search and find an old thread and need clarification on something so I reply to the thread bringing it out of the archives and to the top of the thread list.

Invariably someone complains about resurrecting an old thread. I resurrect it to get an answer. it doesn't mean I expect the OP to answer the question. Starting a new thread will just get the "do a search" response from NPC's.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Hats off to the OP. I think the point of this thread was made and done as tactfully as possible. I, on the other hand, thought it was more fun throwing bombs at the NCRS zealots that act so pompous. Not all of you guys, just a few who probably know who you are.

I think forum etiquette needs to be brought up every once in a while.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by micks69
You know that Repro parts are not as good as NOS parts right?

Well same with AIM's only the original GM published AIM are the correct ones. All others are cheap reproductions that may give less than optimal performance.
Oh man. I must be in for catastrophic failure seeing how all I use is a nasty old Chiltons and a google search from time to time. Maybe if I spend a TON of money on a horribly overpriced NOS part I can better my chances. But without an AIM, how will I install it? I think I should just sell my Corvette.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Oh man. I must be in for catastrophic failure seeing how all I use is a nasty old Chiltons and a google search from time to time. Maybe if I spend a TON of money on a horribly overpriced NOS part I can better my chances. But without an AIM, how will I install it? I think I should just sell my Corvette.
I'd buy it, but you probably already Bubba'd the hell out of it because you didn't use an AIM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)

Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
...Not to hijack, but item #6 does fit into the parking brake cover as shown and not the shifter console on original cars...
Yep. It is installed exactly that way on my 68. Some of the aftermarket ebrake consoles do not have the mounting slots for it.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

The AIM and the chassis service manual are the two most valuable books to have to work on our cars. We should be very thankful that Mid America Corvette (now motorworks) had the foresight back in the early 80's, I think, to obtain these for us. That is when I got mine. GM probably would have thrown them all away. I have used mine countless times in the 41 years that I have had my 68 coupe. Lou.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't by my AIM, I got it for Christmas, many years ago from my Mother-in-Law . I got a whole lot of use out of it during my frame off, and found it to be a huge help.

Quick Reply: Buy an AIM Trolls (New Years Resolution)