C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 upgraded wheels and brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Nightwolf_76
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 upgraded wheels and brakes.

I have an 81 and I have wanted to put larger tires and rims on. I was wondering if anyone else has done this, how large can I go, and where can I get a good upgraded brake system once I do.
Thanks all
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

There area a lot of threads with aftermarket/larger wheel upgrades. An ongoing thread which should be on the first page or two is "C3's with 18" Wheels Only". Should show you lots of options.

18's are common, 17s are common, you can do staggered 17 front 18 rear, 18 front 19 rear, and there are a few even with 20s all around. All depends on what you are going for. As far as wheel size and rim width, I hope you are knowledgeable and understand the terms backspacing, offset, and the difference between a 245/45/18 and a 285/40/18.

Basically, do some browsing.

This will get you started;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ly-thread.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...20-wheels.html

Also, give us an idea of what you are looking to achieve and I'm sure plenty will help. Classic look with modern rubber, big fat tires with a retro modern image, etc.?

Oh, and the general opinion is that if your brake system is fresh and working properly, there is no real reason to spend the money on aftermarket unless you intend to do extreme road racing/course.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 01-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Nightwolf_76
5th Gear

Thanks for the links. I want to keep the look but give it more modern handling. Better braking, cornering and such. I didn't like the 20's, I think that the 18's look great. I am undecided with how I am going to go with the engine, tranny set up, been thinking about a 383 stroker, would like to replace the auto with a manual tranny.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have SLP 17's with 255/45/17 ZR tires on my 78. These fit perfectly with no modifications BUT not sure if they are made any longer.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean "upgraded brakes"? The stock system was pretty good unless your auto crossing the car. If you haven't already, you might consider making sure the stock system is working right. If you have, my apologies. One of the biggest trouble makers on the C3 brake systems is rotor runout. If your runout is high, it'll cause the system to suck air, and then the brakes just plain suck. But once that's good, the brakes are pretty good for most cars. The best brake mods I've made to my car are Hawk pads and stainless braided brake hoses. Those hoses eliminate the expansion you can get from the rubber hoses and in my case helped give a good solid pedal while still giving the feedback I like. The pads have great bite and don't fade really at all. Something to consider, if you can save some money on the brakes, it might help get to the hp you want...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
What do you mean "upgraded brakes"? The stock system was pretty good unless your auto crossing the car. If you haven't already, you might consider making sure the stock system is working right. If you have, my apologies. One of the biggest trouble makers on the C3 brake systems is rotor runout. If your runout is high, it'll cause the system to suck air, and then the brakes just plain suck. But once that's good, the brakes are pretty good for most cars. The best brake mods I've made to my car are Hawk pads and stainless braided brake hoses. Those hoses eliminate the expansion you can get from the rubber hoses and in my case helped give a good solid pedal while still giving the feedback I like. The pads have great bite and don't fade really at all. Something to consider, if you can save some money on the brakes, it might help get to the hp you want...

The stock brakes on 65-82 C3's are not just pretty good, they are really excellent as long as you don't have any issues with rotor runout, leaking pistons, etc. The brakes were superior to just about anything on the road in the 60's/70's with 4 piston fixed, not floating, calipers at each wheel, front and rear, with a large brake pad, and 12 inch vented rotors (massive back then and certainly in the game even today) front and rear.

The only "upgrade" I have done to my brakes has been like damoroso a brake pad change to more modern technology pads (I use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads) and Stainlesss Steel braided brake lines, front and rear, for better brake pedal feel and no expansion of the stock type rubber hoses. The car stops better than most of my other more modern cars! Hope that helps!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

consider better rotor and pads .and maybe install some good flexible brake lines .what is you is your budget ?with bigger rims , you can install bigger rotors that require different calipers.check out the price of different wilwood brake pkgs .
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Nightwolf_76
5th Gear

I have owned the car for about 7 yrs now or so, I'm not sure what has been done or kept up on it before I owned it. It hasn't been the best under my care unfortunately. I had an extremely close call shortly after purchasing in which I found out how quickly it slowed down and thus prevented it from being reduced to a million unidentifiable parts. However I intend to do a complete rebuild. I want to go to 17 or 18" rims and wanted some ideas on possible tire sizes that would fit and retain the correct wheel diameter so as to not affect my speedometer (if it is possible) I thought that with the larger wheels larger brake disks would be needed and wanted to see what others have gone with to give me ideas. I just can't seem to find much info on the web of much use to me, especially when I am going to get around to suspension.
Thanks for all the advice I enjoy reading everyone's comments.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 upgraded wheels and brakes.

Quick Reply: 81 upgraded wheels and brakes.