Tires - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Tires

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
  #1  
dragnasty62
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2011
Location: LINDENHURST NEW YORK
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tires

looking to put 335 rear tires under the stock wheel wells on an 80 any suggestions.
dragnasty62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 AM
  #2  
7t9l82
CF Senior Member
 
7t9l82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: melbourne florida
Posts: 4,642
Thanked 82 Times in 81 Posts
Default

7t9l82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM
  #3  
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,155
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

We need a sticky link on this forum to document all of the LARGER wheel/tire combo's and the changes needed (or not) to accommodate.

You may want to do a search on wheel compatibility. I've seen a number of 17"-18" wheel combo's mentioned. But, they have not exceeded 295 (in my recollection) without a change to offset trailing arms or fender flares.
TedH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
  #4  
7t9l82
CF Senior Member
 
7t9l82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: melbourne florida
Posts: 4,642
Thanked 82 Times in 81 Posts
Default

i think the offset arms are only needed with 15" wheels
7t9l82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
  #5  
pacecar620
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Florida
Posts: 232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

IMHO - 335 is really pushing the limits for a C3 particularly w/stock trailing arms and fenders. Definitely exceeds limit for 8" wheel width. I personally wouldn't try w/o some radical body surgery. If you manage to pull this off, I'd like to see the finished product.
pacecar620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 PM
  #6  
brando1118
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Posts: 650
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

dragnasty,
The only way that's happening under a stock configured rear of a C3 is with flares. You should search for forum member Bee Jay. He has an amazing and fearless pursuit for the lightest street driven C3 in history as well as the widest tires that I know of under a stock rear C3 configuration. He's cut and re-welded the rear area of his frame to fit these tires under there. They look great. I *think* they are 295's. He'll chime in hopefully, but he has numerous interesting posts here on the forum. Search his user id.
brando1118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 PM
  #7  
TheSkunkWorks
CF Senior Member
 
TheSkunkWorks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Graceland in a Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Posts: 7,353
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Default

335's just ain't going to happen without flares or extensive frame and wheel well mods. Stuffing 295's in stock wheel wells will requre modding the frame above the TA pockets to gain adequate sidewall clearance, as has been done by Bee Jay and others. 285's don't often seem to pose a problem as long as wheel fitment is worked out.
TheSkunkWorks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
  #8  
dpw21562
CF Senior Member
 
dpw21562's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Westernport Maryland
Posts: 462
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I did 295-17 and barely had clearance.
dpw21562 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM
  #9  
garygnu
CF Senior Member
 
garygnu's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: coon rapids mn
Posts: 818
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have 295 bf on stock rims .I have off-set TA .no modifications to the frame or body.
garygnu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
  #10  
MakoJoe
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Castle Rock CO
Posts: 926
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For a 1980 Corvette the best tires on a Stock rim are either 225 70 R 15 or 255 60 R 15

If you choose to go with 16 inch rims then 255/50-16

For 17 inch rims 245/55-17 or

if you want your car to look like pimp mobile with 18 inch rims 235/50-18 and 19 inch rims 245/45-19

All these tires keep the aspect ratio of the original 15 inch rally and aluminum wheels and you do not have to change the speedometer ratio and it will reflect the actual speed of the car.

I used to install and sell tires for a living oh about 23 years ago and you should not go beyond the 8 inch rim wide size or you will need to install an offset wheel


Personally I would not go beyond a 16 inch rim on a Corvette because I think everything beyond this size rim will need me to wear a Fur Coat and a Pimp Hat LMAO just kidding dudes if you think it looks cool than each to their own taste

Last edited by MakoJoe; 01-04-2014 at 11:22 PM.
MakoJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
  #11  
jb78L-82
CF Senior Member
 
jb78L-82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 5,765
Thanked 354 Times in 318 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MakoJoe View Post
For a 1980 Corvette the best tires on a Stock rim are either 225 70 R 15 or 255 60 R 15

If you choose to go with 16 inch rims then 255/50-16

For 17 inch rims 245/55-17 or

if you want your car to look like pimp mobile with 18 inch rims 235/50-18 and 19 inch rims 245/45-19

All these tires keep the aspect ratio of the original 15 inch rally and aluminum wheels and you do not have to change the speedometer ratio and it will reflect the actual speed of the car.

I used to install and sell tires for a living oh about 23 years ago and you should not go beyond the 8 inch rim wide size or you will need to install an offset wheel


Personally I would not go beyond a 16 inch rim on a Corvette because I think everything beyond this size rim will need me to wear a Fur Coat and a Pimp Hat LMAO just kidding dudes if you think it looks cool than each to their own taste
On my 78 with 17 inch SLP rims made to fit C3's (ZR-1 Style), 255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires fit perfectly, easily, and with zero modifications.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unless your are interested in looks only, I would stay away from super wide 15 inch tires (Generally there are NO 15 inch performance tires sold for C3's) that are just standard passenger car tires with raised white letters like the BFG T/A's, Firestones, etc with S/T speed ratings. A super wide 295/50/15 S/T rated tire, for example, might offer better straight line traction than a narrower 17/18 Ultra High performance tire (although I highly doubt it!) due to its larger road contact patch BUT the rubber used on these types of tires is MUCH harder than a Z rated tire. The other problem with a super wide zero performance tire is that the tire actually has MORE sidewall than say a 255/60/15 which will flex like mad under steady state driving and deflect drastically under hard corner adversely effecting the ride, steering, and handling. Most of the time a less wide, lower profile ultra high performance tire will smoke a wider, higher side profile zero performance tire.

Hope that helps!
jb78L-82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM
  #12  
Ibanez540r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Ibanez540r's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Medina Ohio
Posts: 1,516
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

285s seems to be the limit to the wheel wells, and that's pushing it. I wouldn't do anything else without flares. Have seen some pictures with the tires way outside the well and just doesn't look right.
Ibanez540r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 PM
  #13  
diehrd
CF Senior Member
 
diehrd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 3,563
Thanked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r View Post
285s seems to be the limit to the wheel wells, and that's pushing it. I wouldn't do anything else without flares. Have seen some pictures with the tires way outside the well and just doesn't look right.
295 actually fits and looks pretty good imop..






diehrd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
  #14  
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,155
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by diehrd View Post
295 actually fits and looks pretty good imop..



What are the specs on those wheels/tires? Are those C3 aluminum rims?
TedH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
  #15  
diehrd
CF Senior Member
 
diehrd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 3,563
Thanked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TedH View Post
What are the specs on those wheels/tires? Are those C3 aluminum rims?
Yes the stock rims. 295/50/15 rear and 245/60/15 front
diehrd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
  #16  
Ibanez540r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Ibanez540r's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Medina Ohio
Posts: 1,516
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by diehrd View Post
295 actually fits and looks pretty good imop..







Ehh... rear shot looks nice, but side is sticking out a fair amount. ..and not sure if it is ride height, or profile of the tire, or both, but wheel gap is too much for my liking.

Originally Posted by diehrd View Post
Yes the stock rims. 295/50/15 rear and 245/60/15 front
For others, this is not recommended - 275/60/15s are pushing it on an 8" wheel as far as side wall flex is concerned. You are going to highly diminish the cars handling. I think a 255 is the preferred for an 8". Now we don't all abide by "manufacturer recommendations" I understand, but again I wouldn't push it more then the 275.
Ibanez540r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
  #17  
TheSkunkWorks
CF Senior Member
 
TheSkunkWorks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Graceland in a Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Posts: 7,353
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Yes, and I'll go further to submit that those with 295's within stock wheel wells (w/unaltered frame) most likely do NOT have adequate sidewall clearnace to the frame, as just because the tires may not touch anything when sitting static doesn't mean they won't when distorted by high lateral loads.

This observation comes after having knocked a temporary data sensor off more than once before figuring out that the sidewalls were indeed flexing considerably more than had been allowed for. Of course, the taller the sidewall the more of a problem this can present.

In any event, I'd keep a very close eye on this, and definitely smooth off anything near the entire circumference of the tire that might possibly come into contact under heavy cornering (whether you race or not).



As for 295's on 8" rims...

Despite what the TRA charts may indicate as possible, just because you can mount them doesn't mean you should do so. Those "specs" are for establishing industry standards from which to determine universally accepted advertised section widths, NOT to recommend optimal fitments. I strongly suggest that 295/50/15's ought best be mounted on 9.5" to 10.5" wide rims to avoid excessive sidewall instability.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 01-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.
TheSkunkWorks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
  #18  
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,155
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I have RWL P255-60R15's all around. Just replaced the rear tires last summer with Mastercraft Avenger G/T tires (a Cooper brand). S or T rated if I recall correctly.

When it is time to replace the front tires (last pair of Goodyear Eagle GT II's I could find at a Goodyear store back in 2005... yes, I know, they are too old even now), I will probably replace with a set of 17" TT II's with the gray spokes and a good domestic tire.
TedH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
  #19  
diehrd
CF Senior Member
 
diehrd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 3,563
Thanked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks View Post
Yes, and I'll go further to submit that those with 295's within stock wheel wells (w/unaltered frame) most likely do NOT have adequate sidewall clearnace to the frame, as just because the tires may not touch anything when sitting static doesn't mean they won't when distorted by high lateral loads.

This observation comes after having knocked a temporary data sensor off more than once before figuring out that the sidewalls were indeed flexing considerably more than had been allowed for. Of course, the taller the sidewall the more of a problem this can present.

In any event, I'd keep a very close eye on this, and definitely smooth off anything near the entire circumference of the tire that might possibly come into contact under heavy cornering (whether you race or not).


As for 295's on 8" rims...

Despite what the TRA charts may indicate as possible, just because you can mount them doesn't mean you should do so. Those "specs" are for establishing industry standards from which to determine universally accepted advertised section widths, NOT to recommend optimal fitments. I strongly suggest that 295/50/15's ought best be mounted on 9.5" to 10.5" wide rims to avoid excessive sidewall instability.

If your done showing off what your claiming as knowledge you might want to ask how the tires and rims have worked for me or several others who run this combination.

And based on your reply if a bet could be made as to why you had re-occurring issues , my money would lead the pack with you not inflating the tires correctly
diehrd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
  #20  
bebezote
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Posts: 508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

how have they worked? i'm interested ?
bebezote is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: