C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM
SLOW84VETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input!!! I have one yes and one frame rub (which I can handle if it is only at full lock) Has anyone actually put 255/60/15 on an early (70 coupe) C3. Thanks again for every ones help!!! I am trying to make the car a little more fun to drive with the classic look. Running F70's and hating the driving experience
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 PM
SLOW84VETTE
Intermediate

Of course I will keep the F70's on the date coded rims for show (if I ever go down that road)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLOW84VETTE
Of course I will keep the F70's on the date coded rims for show (if I ever go down that road)
How old is the Suspension on this car? I am looking at your picture and it also might be a little wide when you hit a huge bump and hit the Front Wheel Well on the Fenders. With the F70s it looks low. The F70s from this era were only 7 inches wide so think about when add 10 inch wide tire. Split in half it is 1.5 inches wider than what you have on the car on each side of the rim. Now I am not one of those guys that will say it will fit until measure the top of the tire to fender space before installing. Also know if you install a BFG it will be a little taller then your F70. they will fit all day long on the rear but in the front well they will exceed the wheel well and stick out Just saying

Look at tire Conversion Charts online and they will tell you height and Width

The 255 60 15 will fit on a 7 Inch Rim but really need an 8 Inch rim to sit lower another thing to think about.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 05-15-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:40 PM
SLOW84VETTE
Intermediate

Sorry, I should have said, I will buy a set of 8" rally's for the new tires
Old 05-17-2015, 04:33 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

It is always interesting to watch the thread go to arguments around what is optimal tyre sizes etc.

I have to agree with the comments about tyre fitment charts. Manufacturers will always have the maximum # of listed wheel sizes to optimise sales but for each tyre there is an optimum rim size.

You can deviate from that size a bit with little change but go way off and it will deteriate quickly.

Compensating with more pressure for the excessive sidewal movement is an option but then it changes ride characteristics.

It is always interesting to test the same width rim with different size tyres and compare corner turn in, breaking, fast response etc. the differences can be amazing.

While it's the fronts that are most noticeable it's amazing how much movement you can get in rear tyres under cornering and the largest tyres can look almost dangerous if you mount a camera to the underside and watch a fast corner.

But in the end it all comes down to what you use your Vette for, how fast you drive, the type of roads and what you think is good handling.

Everyone has a different view of handling based on your experience and type of cars you have driven.

So if someone is happy with the 295's great, others may not be because of looks, handling etc, it's all personal preference.

And wouldn't it be a sad and boring place if we were all the same. -
Old 05-17-2015, 06:59 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigH
It is always interesting to watch the thread go to arguments around what is optimal tyre sizes etc.

I have to agree with the comments about tyre fitment charts. Manufacturers will always have the maximum # of listed wheel sizes to optimise sales but for each tyre there is an optimum rim size.

You can deviate from that size a bit with little change but go way off and it will deteriate quickly.

Compensating with more pressure for the excessive sidewal movement is an option but then it changes ride characteristics.

It is always interesting to test the same width rim with different size tyres and compare corner turn in, breaking, fast response etc. the differences can be amazing.

While it's the fronts that are most noticeable it's amazing how much movement you can get in rear tyres under cornering and the largest tyres can look almost dangerous if you mount a camera to the underside and watch a fast corner.

But in the end it all comes down to what you use your Vette for, how fast you drive, the type of roads and what you think is good handling.

Everyone has a different view of handling based on your experience and type of cars you have driven.

So if someone is happy with the 295's great, others may not be because of looks, handling etc, it's all personal preference.

And wouldn't it be a sad and boring place if we were all the same. -

Your comments are spot on. I generally don't get too involved in these tire discussions since I have found that many folks don't seem to want to acknowledge that changing tire size too much from stock can have detrimental implications on the handling and steering of the the car.

Generally speaking for C3's, these cars either came with 225/70/15 or 255/60/15's. If you just go wider with the tire without maintaining the same or less sidewall, the car will not handle and steer as well as the stock tire dimensions assuming that you cannot go to a higher speed rating than the OEM tire's S/T rating, which you cannot any longer today. So what do I mean?

Say you are starting with a 255/60/15 S rated tire and want to go bigger to a 275/60/15-same speed rating. The wider 275 tire will have significantly more sidewall (in inches) that will flex like a rubber band going down the road-bad idea as long as you are only driving in a straight-line, at a minimum (255/60/15's bounce all over the road since the big sidewall in this S/T rated tire allows way too much flex). This tire will also have on overall diameter that is taller than the stock 255/60/15. Now if you went to a 275/50/15 instead, the overall diameter will be close to the 255/60/15 with similar sidewall size as the the OEM tire-even better if you could go to a higher speed rated Z tire-much less sidewall flex with ultra high performance tires which drastically reduces tire heat buildup at high speeds.

2 other examples to help clarify this issue:

I wanted to improve the tire contact patch on 2 of my Daily Drivers without changing rims. One car had 225/60/16 S rated tires and I did not want wider tires, just much better performance. I could have just went with 225/60/16 Z rated tires but I wanted a little less sidewall flex by reducing the sidewall size so I went with 225/55/16 Z rated tires that are head and shoulders over the OEM tire-BIG difference.

The other car had 225/60/18 H rated tires-too skinny. I went with a 245/55/18 Z rated which has a MUCH wider contact BUT has the same overall diameter as the 225/60/18 BUT has a MUCH stiffer sidewall due to the Z rating.

Somewhat complicated but going to a wider tire with more sidewall in the same speed rating is a step backward IMCO.

I switched to 17 inch rims a few years ago from the OEM rims with 255/60/15 S rated BFG Radial TA's to 255/45/17 Z's and was shocked at how much better these tires not only rode down the road but the handling and steering response was shockingly better than the balloon tire 255/60/15 S rated OEM's.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 05-17-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default clarification

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Your comments are spot on. I generally don't get too involved in these tire discussions since I have found that many folks don't seem to want to acknowledge that changing tire size too much from stock can have detrimental implications on the handling and steering of the the car.

Generally speaking for C3's, these cars either came with 225/70/15 or 255/60/15's. If you just go wider with the tire without maintaining the same or less sidewall, the car will not handle and steer as well as the stock tire dimensions assuming that you cannot go to a higher speed rating than the OEM tire's S/T rating, which you cannot any longer today. So what do I mean?

Say you are starting with a 255/60/15 S rated tire and want to go bigger to a 275/60/15-same speed rating. The wider 275 tire will have significantly more sidewall (in inches) that will flex like a rubber band going down the road-bad idea as long as you are only driving in a straight-line, at a minimum (255/60/15's bounce all over the road since the big sidewall in this S/T rated tire allows way too much flex). This tire will also have on overall diameter that is taller than the stock 255/60/15. Now if you went to a 275/50/15 instead, the overall diameter will be close to the 255/60/15 with similar sidewall size as the the OEM tire-even better if you could go to a higher speed rated Z tire-much less sidewall flex with ultra high performance tires which drastically reduces tire heat buildup at high speeds.

2 other examples to help clarify this issue:

I wanted to improve the tire contact patch on 2 of my Daily Drivers without changing rims. One car had 225/60/16 S rated tires and I did not want wider tires, just much better performance. I could have just went with 225/60/16 Z rated tires but I wanted a little less sidewall flex by reducing the sidewall size so I went with 225/55/16 Z rated tires that are head and shoulders over the OEM tire-BIG difference.

The other car had 225/60/18 H rated tires-too skinny. I went with a 245/55/18 Z rated which has a MUCH wider contact BUT has the same overall diameter as the 225/60/18 BUT has a MUCH stiffer sidewall due to the Z rating.

Somewhat complicated but going to a wider tire with more sidewall in the same speed rating is a step backward IMCO.

I switched to 17 inch rims a few years ago from the OEM rims with 255/60/15 S rated BFG Radial TA's to 255/45/17 Z's and was shocked at how much better these tires not only rode down the road but the handling and steering response was shockingly better than the balloon tire 255/60/15 S rated OEM's.
JB78 - are you saying the 255/60/15 has less performance or more bouncing? than 225/70/15?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
JB78 - are you saying the 255/60/15 has less performance or more bouncing? than 225/70/15?
No...The 225/70/15 and 255/60/15 have the same sidewall..225X.70=157.5mm

255X.60=153mm no real difference.

Quick Reply: Tires