C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Color Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Paint Color Help!

So my 79 is going to the paint shop in the morning and I am second guessing the color!
I have owned the car for 15 years and it was painted black and silver like the pace car when I bought it. I had decided to keep the black and silver but do the pen strip between the two colors more like the 78 silver two tone so it would be black on top and silver on the bottom but a silver pen strip and no red pen stripes.
So here is the problem, I am thinking of maybe going with 2014 Cyber Gray, or maybe two tone but black on top and Cyber gray on the bottom. If I did the Black and Cyber gray it would have a pen strip 1/4 in above the paint dividing line just like the 78 silver two tone.
Help with thoughts or ideas please.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Just wanted to add a few photos of the car.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

My 2 cents:

If you go with the black-over-silver scheme, you probably should paint it the same colors as the Pace Car [with or without any striping additions]. If you change the shades being applied, the car might look odd...as that scheme is known to many as "Pace Car colors". But, I'm not aware of any other tasteful black over silver/gray schemes that [most] people would find attractive. Using two shades of the same color...like silver over pewter, etc...would be attractive, if you want a two-tone car.

Just sharing some thoughts about it, since you asked for them.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
My 2 cents:

If you go with the black-over-silver scheme, you probably should paint it the same colors as the Pace Car [with or without any striping additions]. If you change the shades being applied, the car might look odd...as that scheme is known to many as "Pace Car colors". But, I'm not aware of any other tasteful black over silver/gray schemes that [most] people would find attractive. Using two shades of the same color...like silver over pewter, etc...would be attractive, if you want a two-tone car.

Just sharing some thoughts about it, since you asked for them.
Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tried to paint cars like nature intended, meaning dark colours at the top to light colours to the bottom. Think of looking out over the prairies and you will see hills are darker with the ground lighter. Or to put in real perspective a Shark is dark on the top and its's sides and belly are lighter.

I would use a pinstripe to compliment those two colours but in contrast. Just before you decide, try a few combinations to "spike" it up with a colour swatch. You will find one that could be mild to wild.

Make sure you mask that car good. You have done an awesome job of painting all the underneath I would hate to see "paint overspray" taking over your hard work. Good luck to you.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I agree with that last comment. Make a special effort to communicate the need for good masking to protect already-finished areas. Put it in the contract with a penalty clause, if you think you need it. Remember, the guy who masks/shoots it won't be the guy who was with you when you signed the contract.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 PM
finallygotit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first - you have done an amazing job so far!

So I am about to turn the body of mine in for repair and paint. I was going to go with the original silver....but DAMN that Cyber Gray is amazing! Can we even purchase it yet??? If so where would you get it?

yummmmm
Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 AM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about black on top with a deep cherry red (more maroon) on the bottom with a neon green dividing stripe. I saw a '32 three window coupe with that color scheme at the rod nationals many years ago and it was a stunning color combination.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

That color combo might be impressive on a staged custom car. But, I wouldn't want to be seen driving in it...

But, some folks like wild colors. (Thinking of Johnny Weir, at the moment. )
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth...78's along with 81's were painted with the silver on top and the charcoal on the bottom. SO it actually does not matter...it is a matter of taste and what "turns YOU on".

Like I tell my customers who ask me what I think....I tell them..."What I think does not matter...it is what YOU like and want is ALL that matters."

No matter what color combination you choose...you CAN NOT make everyone like it...so it boils down to YOU...and not giving a rat's behind on what other people think...unless you are one of those people who have to receive applause/praise in order to feel like you made a choice that was good....and living with a paint job that just does not turn you on the way you wanted. The choice is yours....and your alone. In my opinion.

DUB
Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It will look great from my house.....

That's what I tell customers when they ask me. I only paint, they pick the colors. I agree with dub. its your car, do what you like.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have seen lots of two tone corvettes and as far as I'm concerned the pace car with the pin stripes is the best. the thing that sets the car off is wheels. i had a pace car when it was new and had s/s cragars and torque thrusts on it at different times and both made that car look really good.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 AM
mac79vette
Pro

All, thank you for your thoughts.
I bought and painted 5 different model Corvettes and after doing that and the protest of my wife against the pace car paint job I am going to go Black but with the bulge on the hood 2014 Cyber gray with a 1/4 pen stripe bordering it.

I am going to do the hood different because a 79 corvette all black just seams "blacked out". I am hoping this gives it a subtle difference but it still feels like a Corvette theme paint job.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Interesting...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Interesting...
Interesting as in bad or good?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the thing about painting a non-pace car to look like one (or making any other car look one it's not) is the owner will spend the rest of his/her ownership saying, "Well, not it's not actually a pace car." But, whatever makes the owner happy is what's important.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Color Help!

Quick Reply: Paint Color Help!