C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incorrect Booster?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Incorrect Booster?

I picked up a master and booster from NAPA to convert my '68 to power brakes. The new booster has a rod sticking out of it that would go into the master cylinder. I have a core from a '79 that does not have the rod. Do I have the wrong booster? The AIM does not have a clear diagram but the one it does have does not show the rod.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

They all have that rod to the master.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

What's it for and how do you remove it?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The rod actuates the master cylinder. Since you bought it as a 'matched set' (that IS the case, isn't it?), the rod should be the correct one for that master cylinder. But, the depth of the center hole in the M/C piston and the rod length must be matched if those two components are going to work properly.

When the master cylinder is mounted to the booster and gasket, the end of that rod should be within .010" of being bottomed-out inside that piston. It can be contacting at the bottom, but not actuating the piston. You can do a 'dry' measurement of how much the rod is protruding from the gasketed surface of the booster AND the depth of the piston actuating 'hole' from the mating surface at the base of the M/C. If those readings are not very close to each other, those components will not work with each other.

P.S. You can just pull the rod out of the booster, if you want. It is just held in there by the resistance of 1 or 2 O-ring seals.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There are 2 Boosters that GM used . On your 1968...your booster should have an adjustable center shaft in the booster...AND...this is important...when the master cylinder is joined to the booster...the metal surface on the booster is FLAT...so you can actually see that the master cylinder is seated against it when tightened. The outer half of the booster is stamped completely different than the later design...which makes it easier to access your oil dipstick without having to bend it.

On the later year Corvettes where the oil dipstick went to the passenger side...the booster design changed and when the master cylinder is attached to the booster...the area where the master cylinder goes is actually recessed...and there is no way to adjust the booster by turning a bolt.

The later design will work as long as the master cylinder is correct for it or the booster came with the optional center pin that can be changed out....but if your oil dipstick is on the drivers side (left) you may have to tweak it to make it easy to pull out.

DUB
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
There are 2 Boosters that GM used . On your 1968...your booster should have an adjustable center shaft in the booster...AND...this is important...when the master cylinder is joined to the booster...the metal surface on the booster is FLAT...so you can actually see that the master cylinder is seated against it when tightened. The outer half of the booster is stamped completely different than the later design...which makes it easier to access your oil dipstick without having to bend it.

On the later year Corvettes where the oil dipstick went to the passenger side...the booster design changed and when the master cylinder is attached to the booster...the area where the master cylinder goes is actually recessed...and there is no way to adjust the booster by turning a bolt.

The later design will work as long as the master cylinder is correct for it or the booster came with the optional center pin that can be changed out....but if your oil dipstick is on the drivers side (left) you may have to tweak it to make it easy to pull out.

DUB

I did not get one specific to a '68 as my car has manual brakes now. I assume the replacement one from NAPA is for many years. I will have to test fit it to see if it interferes with the dip stick. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The rod actuates the master cylinder. Since you bought it as a 'matched set' (that IS the case, isn't it?), the rod should be the correct one for that master cylinder. But, the depth of the center hole in the M/C piston and the rod length must be matched if those two components are going to work properly.

When the master cylinder is mounted to the booster and gasket, the end of that rod should be within .010" of being bottomed-out inside that piston. It can be contacting at the bottom, but not actuating the piston. You can do a 'dry' measurement of how much the rod is protruding from the gasketed surface of the booster AND the depth of the piston actuating 'hole' from the mating surface at the base of the M/C. If those readings are not very close to each other, those components will not work with each other.

P.S. You can just pull the rod out of the booster, if you want. It is just held in there by the resistance of 1 or 2 O-ring seals.
I did hopefully get a matched set. Neither the old one or the new one has a gasket between the master cylinder and booster though.

Get notified of new replies

To Incorrect Booster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Incorrect Booster?