C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 suddenly won't start. Won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 suddenly won't start. Won't turn over

So yesterday I decided to wash the Vette and take it for a spin. The car wouldn't start. Wouldn't even try to turn over. No clicking, no noise, nothing. The lights on the dash and radio worked. It had been about a month since I drove it last, and I remembered I had a hard time getting it started, although it would eventually get going. I assumed it was the battery and decided to get a new one.

New battery goes in, starts right up. So I back it into the driveway and wash it. Then a little later I decided to take it for a spin. Again, started right up. I drove around for a while and decided to stop to grab a quick bite to eat. When I was finished I headed home. Started right up.

When I got home, I saw my bro-in-law had placed the lawnmower in the garage in such a way I couldn't pull in. So I shut off the car, got out and moved it. Got back in the car, and it hesitated a little while trying to start. But it started and I was able to pull in. So I shut the car off and tried to start it up again.

Nothing.

It's back to no noise, just the dash lights. I tried again a few hours later that night and the same thing. As if it were a dead battery. Did I get a dud, or is there something more serious I should be looking into?

Last edited by Jerry Curl; 03-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you have a serious battery drain and your charging system is not charging.....
Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I would clean the battery cable connections at the battery, the other end of the battery negative cable under the car at the frame, the other end of the positive battery cable at the solenoid and both ends of the negative jumper wire between the frame and the engine block. Also clean the rings on the other wires connected with the battery positive cable at the starter solenoid. See how it works once you have cleaned all 6 of those connections.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I would clean the battery cable connections at the battery, the other end of the battery negative cable under the car at the frame, the other end of the positive battery cable at the solenoid and both ends of the negative jumper wire between the frame and the engine block. Also clean the rings on the other wires connected with the battery positive cable at the starter solenoid. See how it works once you have cleaned all 6 of those connections.
Would that be enough to prevent the battery from charging?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:48 PM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the car started and pull the terminal wires off the battery. If the car dies your alternator is shot, if it keeps running your car is draining the battery thru a short in the wiring somewhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It could also be the neutral safety switch. Turn on the headlights. If they are bright and don't dim when you try the starter I would look there first.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
It could also be the neutral safety switch. Turn on the headlights. If they are bright and don't dim when you try the starter I would look there first.
I can't get the headlights to pop up now. No juice, although the headlamps light shows up on the dash.

I just went and tried again. Still no go, but I did notice my radio station appears to have reset, so it certainly looks like the battery is (mostly) dead.

Last edited by Jerry Curl; 03-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jerry Curl
Would that be enough to prevent the battery from charging?
No, it's to fix a poor connections that cuts out the power every time you try to energize the starter.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of the light dim or go out when you try to crank it? It sounds like it does when you said the radio has reset. This is typically a poor connection. Simply stick a meter on the battery post, NOT THE CLAMPS, the post while someone tries to crank it. If it falls to around 10 volts or less, the battery is low. If it stays around 12 volts, it's a poor connection.

There are many checks you can do before you start throwing parts at it. Keep us posted and we'll keep helping.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Do any of the light dim or go out when you try to crank it? It sounds like it does when you said the radio has reset. This is typically a poor connection. Simply stick a meter on the battery post, NOT THE CLAMPS, the post while someone tries to crank it. If it falls to around 10 volts or less, the battery is low. If it stays around 12 volts, it's a poor connection.

There are many checks you can do before you start throwing parts at it. Keep us posted and we'll keep helping.
I hadn't notice the lights actually go dim. They appear to stay the same brightness.

I'm going to have to get a meter. I moved to Florida recently and some of my stuff was left behind, and I suspect that was in a box that was left because I can't find my old one.

Edit:
Just checked again now that it's dark. Brake lights work, door and light in the cargo area work, turning on the headlights lights up the dash but lights don't pop up. No dimming after any of these lights come on. Or if it is, it's so minimal I can't tell.

Last edited by Jerry Curl; 03-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Do they dim when you try to start it?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Do they dim when you try to start it?
No, the brightness doesn't change on any of the lights when turning the key.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Curl
I hadn't notice the lights actually go dim. They appear to stay the same brightness.

I'm going to have to get a meter. I moved to Florida recently and some of my stuff was left behind, and I suspect that was in a box that was left because I can't find my old one.

Edit:
Just checked again now that it's dark. Brake lights work, door and light in the cargo area work, turning on the headlights lights up the dash but lights don't pop up. No dimming after any of these lights come on. Or if it is, it's so minimal I can't tell.
I don't think it's a battery issue or a poor battery connection. I'm leaning towards the neutral switch. Is this an auto or manual? I can't see while posting. If you aren't hearing the starter solenoid clock or anything, then it's something low current and not on the high current side.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
I don't think it's a battery issue or a poor battery connection. I'm leaning towards the neutral switch. Is this an auto or manual? I can't see while posting. If you aren't hearing the starter solenoid clock or anything, then it's something low current and not on the high current side.
It is a manual.

How would I test for a neutral switch, and what kind of repair is that going to be?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1976

Does a 4-speed 1976 have a neutral safety switch? My 1968 doesn't, the starter will work in any gear, I do push in on the clutch when starting it.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 70ZZ3 96LT4
Does a 4-speed 1976 have a neutral safety switch? My 1968 doesn't, the starter will work in any gear, I do push in on the clutch when starting it.
Apparently it does:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1969-1981.html
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

It should be up above the brake pedal arm. You can test for a bad switch by just taking the two wires off and jumpering them together. Just make sure it's in neutral, brake on and clutch in when you turn the key to start. If it starts you know it's the switch. It could just need adjusted or it could be defective.

Get notified of new replies

To '76 suddenly won't start. Won't turn over

Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

It should be up above the brake pedal arm. You can test for a bad switch by just taking the two wires off and jumpering them together. Just make sure it's in neutral, brake on and clutch in when you turn the key to start. If it starts you know it's the switch. It could just need adjusted or it could be defective.
Yeah... I have no idea what I'm looking at up there...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Try holding the key to start and bumping the clutch pedal in and out. Make damn sure it's in neutral and you're also holding the brakes.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Try holding the key to start and bumping the clutch pedal in and out. Make damn sure it's in neutral and you're also holding the brakes.
No dice. Same as before.

Quick Reply: '76 suddenly won't start. Won't turn over