C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull the frame out the front or the back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Pull the frame out the front or the back?

Okay- I'm getting ready to pull the body off the frame. The car is parked nose out of my one car garage. I was thinking of lifting the body off the frame and pulling the frame out the garage door.

OR- should I turn the car around, and pull it out the back? (*the car does not move under it's own power, this would be a big job too).

Thoughts?

IF I do pull it out the front, how high do I need to lift the body to clear the gas tank?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how much you removed from the engine, like the carb and distributor. IIRC the height of the engine and gas tank isn't too much different so I would leave the car where it is. If you can raise the body 3.5 to 4 feet that should be plenty of clearance. When I lifted the body in my garage as soon as we were able to roll the chassis without hitting the body that was high enough.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of the clearance needed.

Rick B.

Last edited by 72LS1Vette; 06-16-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
Thoughts?
Coupe or convertible????

It make a difference...not so much on how high you have to raise it....but mainly in the rear body flexing/sagging when it comes off the frame.

You can raise it basically level but it will not be perfectly level. But can with a little effort...you can pick up on the body where needed to level it out while someone pulls out the frame. So, in my opinion...it does not matter which way you have the car parked in the shop.

Make sure all shims are accounted for when you raise it and record them so you know how many go to each mount point.

DUB
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

'73 coupe. I'm EXPECTING a lot of sag, because of the condition of the rocker channels. I have a buddy ready to make them up (for a LOT less than the inserts go for)- just wanted to send him a "sample" from each side. (If these custom rockers work out, I can have him make me a dozen or so and I'll offer them for sale, more on that shortly).

The frame itself is totally toast- and I have a replacement ready for it, just need to swap over and rebuild the suspension. Also, the motor is out of the car, so I think my only real issue is the gas tank. I might try to pull the tank when the body's in the air. I know I can easly get it 36-48" up without hitting the rafters.

The plan was to mount the motor + tranny before I roll it back under, so I do want to watch for clearance.

Does the fuel tank meet the deck lid?

I'm going to build a "crane" right into the garage out of 2x4s/2x6s to support the body, so that I can replace the rocker channels and clean things up under there.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

If you lift the body about 18 inches, the gas tank can easily be accessed and lowered. With that out of the way, that might be high enough to pull the frame out from under the car without lifting it any higher.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

That might work too. Going to the home depot thursday to grab the lumber while I still have the trailer here. I still need to free up the driver's side mounts, steering box and bumpers.

Also, my three year old daughter is looking forward to getting her first ham(b)mer, so it's well worth the trip
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Also- I'm assuming this is with the wheels ON, right? I can gain more clearance if I dolly the spindles, can't I?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
Also- I'm assuming this is with the wheels ON, right? I can gain more clearance if I dolly the spindles, can't I?
If you have a roof clearance issue...then you improvising and lowering the frame and car entirely is something you have to decide.

I always do the body-offs with the wheels on but I have a lot of roof clearance for my chain hoist.

Remember: "Necessity is the mother of all invention".

NO...the fuel tank does NOT touch the deck lid....except where the rubber drain boot contacts it.

DUB
Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

if you pull the front wheels off and set the front on a low dolley, or rolling jack, you will not need to jack it up as high, to remove the chassis.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Below are some pics of pulling my '72 body from the chassis a couple months ago. I didn't measure the height of the body when it cleared, but they should give you a feel for the min clearance required. Mine was obviously in the garage nose-in. In addition to the fuel tank, you also have to clear the top of the engine of course no matter what direction you go. Two people rolled the chassis out without any problem.

1... (you can see my father to the right of the pic and he is about 5'11" tall)

Old 07-09-2018, 01:10 AM
davidchristopher
Racer

So - yeah, it's been a while.

Got the body off the frame today. I pulled it out of the garage and went out the side instead of leaving it in there. I just didn't think I'd have the clearance - and if something went wrong, I didn't have an escape route.

She's back in the shop on her dolly.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:28 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM
davidchristopher
Racer

Nice work rvzio!

Get notified of new replies

To Pull the frame out the front or the back?

Quick Reply: Pull the frame out the front or the back?