C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belt light

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Brian79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat belt light

Hi Members,
Thought I would try this question again, I had posted this ? once before and after a response from Willcox, thought I would give it another shot.

The question and the response from Willcox is as follows:
----- Original Message -----

To: Willcox Inc.
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 10:06 AM
Subject: Response from willcoxcorvette.com

Hello,
79 Corvette
Do you know of any fix to the problem, "seat belt light won't go out" other than remove the bulb. I believe the timer portion of the buzzer unit # 14004971 is at fault, all other functions of this unit work correctly i.e. key,door,light,seat belt buzzer. I have not been able to find a replacement or substitute or if their is one.
I've checked all wiring from dash unit (light) individually to the fuse block, from fuse block to seat belt clip, and door sw. all test ok (no broken wire) also ckd.the printed circuit for the bulb portion (ohm) meter---is ok, and have not found any stray ground someone may have added over the years (i.e. radio replacement)

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the rambling on.
Thank You
Brian

PS. Your Low Fuel Module fixed my other problem
Thanks

Thank you for contacting our support team. The current volume of questions in
regards to repair and installation help has exceeded my human ability.

If your email is in regards to a question about parts please call our parts
department at 800-588-3883 or email them at Willcox@Willcoxcorvette.com

If your email is in regards to needing technical assistance please post this up
on the CorvetteForum.com as a new thread! Then email us the thread so I can
offer assistance if needed. I’m sure someone will assist you.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I will look at my wiring diagram.

I am sure that you know this...but without having my wiring diagram with me...to make this light light up....it takes 12 volts and a ground. I am assuming that the 12 volts is present at the light bulb socket.....so GM is switching "on and off" a ground...which is what they have running into set belt clip.

You might be correct that if you KNOW what wire in the buzzer that also command the light to shine. If you know how to de-pin the terminal from the connector and using a jumper...add it and then take it away and see if the light goes out.

Are you trying to keep it working correctly...or just not want the light to shine????

DUB
Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Brian79
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
I will look at my wiring diagram.

I am sure that you know this...but without having my wiring diagram with me...to make this light light up....it takes 12 volts and a ground. I am assuming that the 12 volts is present at the light bulb socket.....so GM is switching "on and off" a ground...which is what they have running into set belt clip.

You might be correct that if you KNOW what wire in the buzzer that also command the light to shine. If you know how to de-pin the terminal from the connector and using a jumper...add it and then take it away and see if the light goes out.

Are you trying to keep it working correctly...or just not want the light to shine????

DUB
Dub,
First let me thank you for your reply,
In answer your question, my first choice would be to have the unit work correctly. The issue at present is that the light is always on. All the other functions of this unit (#14004971) work correctly ie: the buzzer turns off when the seat belt is buckled, buzzer turns on if the lights are left on or the key is left in ect.

I'm not totally sure about de pin, I'm thinking ,you mean to find the pin on the buzzer unit that controls the light, and disable it, see if the light goes out, then with a jumper wire enable it and see if the light comes back on?? If that happens that portion of the unit is defective?

pic. #1 is the unit in ??

pic. from web, mine is same

pic. #2 diagram I found of this unit, to me it looks like the yellow wire controls the light

Apologies for the long answer, just trying to give enough information.

Thanks for your time
Brian
Old 10-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Brian,

It appears, by the schematic, that a GROUND is always there at the troubled LIGHT. So it does appear the module could be in error by constantly supplying 12vdc.

Steve
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Brian,

It appears, by the schematic, that a GROUND is always there at the troubled LIGHT. So it does appear the module could be in error by constantly supplying 12vdc.

Steve
100% correct.

And KNOWING that the control triggers are a ground...the module can be messed up and even though you remove and chance of a ground trigger from the set belt switch/ignition switch...the module could have failed and thus is now always supplying 12 volts to the seat belt light...thus making it shine.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Brian79
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Brian,

Steve
Originally Posted by DUB
100% correct.

And KNOWING that the control triggers are a ground...the module can be messed up and even though you remove and chance of a ground trigger from the set belt switch/ignition switch...the module could have failed and thus is now always supplying 12 volts to the seat belt light...thus making it shine.

DUB
Steve, DUB,

Thanks for the replies and confirming my thoughts it is the module at fault.

I will try to isolate the pin on the module going to the light and see what happens----- light---on or off, will post back my findings.

Thanks Guys for your time
Brian
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Knowing from the schematic that circuit 238 is getting ground signal from the seat belt latch when it is NOT clipped. SO I would see if that terminal is grounded where the module is plugged in and with the module removed. The I would clip my belt and see if the ground goes away....if it does....then it is in your module...simple as that. IF it does not...then you have a problem in the seal belt latch wiring or latch...OR dirty wiring connectors or bad connections at the wiring harness clip.

You can verify which terminal is circuit 238 by using an ohm meter and checking it at your seat belt wiring harness with it disconnected. One wire is a chassis ground ( circuit 150) and the other goes to the fuse panel and can be verified.

DUB
Old 10-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Brian79
Instructor

Default Seat Belt Light Fixed

Originally Posted by Brian79
Steve, DUB,

Thanks for the replies and confirming my thoughts it is the module at fault.

I will try to isolate the pin on the module going to the light and see what happens----- light---on or off, will post back my findings.

Thanks Guys for your time
Brian
Originally Posted by DUB
Knowing from the schematic that circuit 238 is getting ground signal from the seat belt latch when it is NOT clipped. SO I would see if that terminal is grounded where the module is plugged in and with the module removed. The I would clip my belt and see if the ground goes away....if it does....then it is in your module...simple as that. IF it does not...then you have a problem in the seal belt latch wiring or latch...OR dirty wiring connectors or bad connections at the wiring harness clip.

You can verify which terminal is circuit 238 by using an ohm meter and checking it at your seat belt wiring harness with it disconnected. One wire is a chassis ground ( circuit 150) and the other goes to the fuse panel and can be verified.

DUB
Hi Guys,
Well after going through everything and narrowing it down to the module, here's what I found and of course "inquiring minds want to know"
So I ground off the melted pins holding the two halves of the module together and opened it up. Inside was a point set with a winding of tiny wire around it, this wire had been pinched between the case halves from day 1, now maybe it worked for some time and finally broke, or as carefully as I was separating the halves I could have broken it (This Wire is Tiny) about the diameter of fine tread and also has insulation around it I don't know as I've only had this car for three months.

Ok so I soldered it back to the pin and reinstalled it, and now the light goes off after 8-10 seconds, and all the proper chimes still work, I guess only time will tell if it will continue to work, the points are normally closed giving the light a ground, when power is applied they open----no ground-- and light goes out

Pic. attached

Want to thank everyone for the help & encouragement, and hopefully this may help some one else
Brian

Ground off melted pins

What's Inside

The Inside

Points & Broken Wire

Repaired wire click to enlarge
Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad to read that you got it working.

DUB
Old 05-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Robert Gavalchin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
? Where is the 'SeatBelt" light Module.... 1990 Corvette Convertible..... I have been looking everywhere for it.... I truly would appreciate your help Thank you in advance Rob
Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Robert Gavalchin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
? Where is the 'SeatBelt" light Module.... 1990 Corvette Convertible..... I have been looking everywhere for it.... I truly would appreciate your help Thank you in advance Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt light

Quick Reply: Seat belt light