C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I even need this bracket?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Do I even need this bracket?

Exhaust hanger under the transmission and above the transmission mount. The car has side pipes so it's doing nothing under there. Seems like it would drop the trans about 1/16" (thickness of the bracket) Did 69's with OEM side pipes have this bracket or what did they have?

Doesn't hurt to be there but I would love to just leave it out so I can get to my shifter and shift linkage a little easier.

thx
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mc,
69 cars that had the side exhaust option didn't have the bracket but did have a small rectangular plate that compensated for the bracket's thickness.
Many of the larger vendors sell it.
It keeps the angle of the transmission to drive shaft connection the same.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-01-2014, 08:35 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mc,
69 cars that had the side exhaust option didn't have the bracket but did have a small rectangular plate that compensated for the bracket's thickness.
Many of the larger vendors sell it.
It keeps the angle of the transmission to drive shaft connection the same.
Regards,
Alan

If you remove it make sure to place something in there, if not you'll more than likely create a drive line vibration.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay I've decided I'm going to put it right back where it belongs. After going under there for a simple linkage adjustment, I decided to pull the whole shifter out on a whim and have a better look at it. Turns out the previous owner had assembled it wrong... the bottom tip of the shift handle that was supposed to float in the cut-out between the gates on the three shift levers was actually assembled with the tip behind the three gates! I could have only pushed the levers, not pull them. I don't even know how I was able to drive the car. I couldn't even get the shifter to go into the reverse gate on the bench... Bubba strikes again. Now that it will all be assembled correctly I believe I won't be back in there for an adjustment for another couple of decades so the bracket is going right back in.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I even need this bracket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I even need this bracket?