C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Joenski
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line Replacement

I need to replace fuel lines on my 72. I was able to get the old ones out with little issue as they broke into several pieces but the close quarters make it very difficult to get the new ones in without damaging them.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips for the best way to do this other than removing the body

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
edk136
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove the body or at least lift the passenger side. I have heard of some people being able to fish the fuel up behind the passenger compartment but I believe the only people that had success, had a removable transmission cross member and was using steel lines that is easier to bend. I was unable to do it and I even had the rear of the body loosened up. So what I did and this will probably ruffle some feathers, I made two junctions for each line. One piece going from the fuel tank to right before the turn down. Second piece going through all the 'S' bends and the third piece going up to the fuel pump. Good Luck

Eric
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,107 Posts

I had the crossmember off (and drive shaft and rear end and.....) Still a PIA

If you splice in a joint just ahead of the dog leg would be much easier, otherwise, lifting the body a few inches is next best option
M
Old 01-10-2015, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you go through the trouble to get all the bolts out and loose so the body can be lifted....installing the lines in one piece is not that hard. I have done MANY. And I usually do not worry about the transmission crossmember. If it is welded in...I can work the lines through it

In-Line Tubing makes lines that fit REALLY GOOD.

DUB
Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Joenski
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
If you go through the trouble to get all the bolts out and loose so the body can be lifted....installing the lines in one piece is not that hard. I have done MANY. And I usually do not worry about the transmission crossmember. If it is welded in...I can work the lines through it

In-Line Tubing makes lines that fit REALLY GOOD.

DUB
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I may try lifting the body a few inches first as I'd like to keep the line in one piece. I bought stainless steel lines from Paragon.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 AM
edk136
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenski
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I may try lifting the body a few inches first as I'd like to keep the line in one piece. I bought stainless steel lines from Paragon.
This is the best way to do it if you are willing to try to lift the body. The only reason why I split mine and I definitely would not do this with brake lines is the fuel lines are relatively low pressure lines.

Eric
Old 01-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Joenski
Cruising

Totally agree. I actually Already did the brake lines. There's a whole lot more room on that side to fish the line plus you're not following the frame up and over the diff.

This is probably a good time to give the body mounts some attention anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Line Replacement

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Replacement