C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on drag radial/slicks sizes and what fits

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default School me on drag radial/slicks sizes and what fits

I am looking to get a set of rear tires to use only at the track, since I have no traction with street tires. My car has a 4 speed and I was originally considering Drag radials since I plan on driving the car to the track with the regular radials and changing the rears to race. I didn't want to mix bias ply slicks in the back with radials in the front so drag radial were my choice. However I see MT makes a radial slick. I am thinking of going with that. I have a 2 extra corvette rims for my 81 so that is what I will be using. I currently have goodyear 255-60-r15. The MT drag radial for that size shows the tire as 27x10.5. It says the approved rim size is 7.0-9.0 and Measuring rim is 7.5. my first question is can I use my rims with that tire and it fit on my car. Now if so and I went with the radial slick they have it comes 26x8.5 or 26x10. The site doesn't list an approved rim for those but for the 8.5 the measuring rim is 8 and for the 10 inch the measuring rim is 10. Would I be able to use either of those? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just have no idea yet and wanted to get some information before I do anything.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I find that the MT techs know their tires pretty well. You could just give them a call and probably get all the info you need. Be ready to tell them about your engine, trans, rear gears, weight of the car, etc. A couple of quick questions- do you drive the car much on the street? Does it hook on street tires when on the street? What's your power level? I ask because their ET Street Radial works for me on the street and at the strip. If you get a slick for the track but use regular tires on the street you're only solving the problem at the track- assuming you have traction problems on the street. Here's the tire I use in a 255/60/15-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial
Old 02-26-2015, 04:14 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Originally Posted by Les
I find that the MT techs know their tires pretty well. You could just give them a call and probably get all the info you need. Be ready to tell them about your engine, trans, rear gears, weight of the car, etc. A couple of quick questions- do you drive the car much on the street? Does it hook on street tires when on the street? What's your power level? I ask because their ET Street Radial works for me on the street and at the strip. If you get a slick for the track but use regular tires on the street you're only solving the problem at the track- assuming you have traction problems on the street. Here's the tire I use in a 255/60/15-
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial
Thanks, I will give them a call, I just was looking to get some advice on here first. I am really only concerned with getting traction on the track. I drive the car on the street but don't drive it hard. I have no traction at all on the street, and I only know because after putting the motor in I just tested launching before going to the track just to see what I was working with and wow, just a light launch and they smoked. And I figure that at a track, the surface should be stickier then the street but if I had that much tire smoke on the street, I am figuring it will still be an issue at the track. The one you show is the tire I was looking at until I saw the radial slick. Not sure about your car but mine is a stick and I was under the impression a slick would be better than a radial for a stick, but I can be wrong.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I run 275/60/15's on my '69. Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. They stick out just a tad but doesn't look tacky IMO.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 402 Posts

This is 275/60/15 BFG drag radials on stock 8 inch rims. They are 27 inches tall. I had to move the parking brake cable bracket for clearance. My car is an automatic, but I can't believe drag radials won't provide enough traction for you.

Name:  drinstallation_004.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  161.8 KB
Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I run MT ET Street radials 255/60/15 at the track, they hook well on a prepped track. They bolt right on and fit well.

275/60/15s will fit if you relocated the parking brake cable bracket on the trailing arms. I run Nitto 555R 275/60/15s on the street and they look great on stock 8" wheels.

The best hooking tire you can get is the MT ET Street radial PRO 275/60/15. It would work great if you have enough gear to pull 28" tires.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i know nobody recommends wet weather use but anybody have any input on one brand over another if you get caught in that situation? I've had people say nitto is good and others say they are all about the same. and do any of them hook better on the street ?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i know nobody recommends wet weather use but anybody have any input on one brand over another if you get caught in that situation? I've had people say nitto is good and others say they are all about the same. and do any of them hook better on the street ?
I ran the Nittos before my current MTs and they are a better overall tire with a good speed rating. I'd trust them more in the rain than the MTs but I wouldn't really purposely take either out in the rain. However, they only truly hooked for me when they were brand new. After that they could be defeated with enough throttle. The MTs can be defeated too, but only once. After a burnout they get sticky as hell. I once read that if your engine is putting out 400-450 HP, the Nittos will hook for you. I think that's probably pretty accurate. For anything above that I'd recommend the MTs. Just one man's opinion.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:23 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I run Nitto 555R 275/60s on my car for daily use, I've had them in the rain several times and never had an issue... I did slow down to about 60 on the highway as opposed to my normal 70-75 but never had a slip.... The tread depth is actually pretty deep on the 275/60 Nitto.

If I drove in the rain often, I would stick to a BFG radial TA but....for occasional rain use, I think the Nitto 555R is pretty safe...(atleast for a drag radial). The tire actually hooks pretty decent too... For 500 crank HP or less, I think its a great street tire.

MT ET Street radial and Hoosier drag radials are straight up dangerous in the rain. I have driven them both in the rain, I keep it at 30 mph or so...no joke... Also the Nitto NT-05 is terrible in the rain.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a 315/60/15 Mickey ET Street on a 15x12 with 4" backspacing and it fits great with 0 chassis modifications and no spacer. I did have to run longer studs and I will be adding flares to cover the poke but surprisingly the frame didn't need to be modified nor did the parking brake bracket.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I run Nitto 555R 275/60s on my car for daily use, I've had them in the rain several times and never had an issue... I did slow down to about 60 on the highway as opposed to my normal 70-75 but never had a slip.... The tread depth is actually pretty deep on the 275/60 Nitto.

If I drove in the rain often, I would stick to a BFG radial TA but....for occasional rain use, I think the Nitto 555R is pretty safe...(atleast for a drag radial). The tire actually hooks pretty decent too... For 500 crank HP or less, I think its a great street tire.

MT ET Street radial and Hoosier drag radials are straight up dangerous in the rain. I have driven them both in the rain, I keep it at 30 mph or so...no joke... Also the Nitto NT-05 is terrible in the rain.
good input thanks.i don't drive it in the rain but in florida it can rain from a clear sky.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a friend that got caught in the rain on a set of 275/60/15 bfg drag radials and said it was like a pig on ice, he switched to Nitto 555R of same size and says they are as good in the rain as a normal street tire.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:48 PM
jaybird81
Racer

thanks for all the advice. I don't plan on driving it in the rain, and won't even be driving to the track with the tires on, I'll most likely be putting them on when I get there.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaybird81
thanks for all the advice. I don't plan on driving it in the rain, and won't even be driving to the track with the tires on, I'll most likely be putting them on when I get there.
Track only = MT ET Street radials... no doubt about it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

i ordered the nitto's this A.M i cant wait. i read on another forum that guys used them in front too for autocross, does that even seem possible?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Track only = MT ET Street radials... no doubt about it.
I 2nd that
Old 03-03-2015, 10:14 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

i ordered the nitto's this A.M i cant wait. i read on another forum that guys used them in front too for autocross, does that even seem possible?
Nitto 555RIIs are stiff sidewall for handling/autocross.... I would not run the regular 555Rs for curves and DEFINITELY not on the front.

Get notified of new replies

To School me on drag radial/slicks sizes and what fits

Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I've run Nitto 555R's in the rain and they were fine. I've run 18" MT ET Street Radial II's in the rain in a big hp car (Power Tour) - I don't recommend it, but you can do it. I got caught in the rain on well worn BFG drag radials and it was straight up scary. But hell, I run Hoosier R6's on the street so what do I know.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Well my new Nittos made it here before noon today. probably sometime next week i will get them mounted. i have heard drag radials leak out air pressure and have heard use slime ( which i don't care for ) or wipe the inside with Dawn. A friend in the tire business says use Nitrogen And carry a tank filled with Nitrogen to the track to air up.
also what type of pressures are you guys using, i understand that changes with temperature and track conditions.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Les
Race Director

Well my new Nittos made it here before noon today. probably sometime next week i will get them mounted. i have heard drag radials leak out air pressure and have heard use slime ( which i don't care for ) or wipe the inside with Dawn. A friend in the tire business says use Nitrogen And carry a tank filled with Nitrogen to the track to air up.
also what type of pressures are you guys using, i understand that changes with temperature and track conditions.
I'm sure you'll like your new tires. I wouldn't bother with nitrogen but that's a personal choice. At the track a good starting point would be around 18 PSI with a drop of 1-2 pounds if you don't hook. Just curious- what's your power level? Normal pressure of 30-32 is fine on the street unless you anticipate some action.

Quick Reply: School me on drag radial/slicks sizes and what fits