C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the deal with the roller lifter shortage???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:15 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Whats the deal with the roller lifter shortage???

I am at the stage now where I have to choose a cam for my 406, and I was leaning towards a Comp Cam roller hyd. cam, but my engine guy told me that there is a nation-wide shortage of roller lifters, and whats more, it seems that Comp has been sending out CL kits packed with off-shore manufactured roller lifters!! He has two sets in his shop right now that have to go back for warranty reasons!!! What is the deal here??? Is there an alternate hyd. roller cam anyone can suggest, or are the lifters all made by the same company for every cam manufacturer??? :mad

[Modified by 7t2vette, 10:15 AM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 12:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Whats the deal with the roller lifter shortage??? (7t2vette)

All lifters for all companies are made buy a guy named Pedro in Mexico :lol:

Seriously though probably only one or two companies make the lifters and supply them to the major cam manufacturers although I'm not sure why they are having a hard time keeping up with demand could be because so many C3 owners want to upgrade their mills. :D
Old 08-11-2002, 12:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

This was discussed some time ago on the forum. A search may find it. Basically, one of the few companies making hyd roller lifters quit making them, and now supplies are scarce. I think some other company was taking over production, but ran into problems and delays. I think you can still get crane hyd roller lifters, though.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I received my solid roller lifters from Crane within about 10 days of order. Crane told me that Federal Mogal made most of the lifters for other companies. They have gone into bankruptcy, as I recall, because of asbestos related law suits.

Anyway, Crane had made and still makes its own solid roller lifters. He said that this is why their inhouse quality control is key to maintaining their great reputation. They state that their new lightweight pro lifter used with a reasonable mild solid lifter cam will last as long as a set of flat tappet lifters. My Crane #138601 was said to fall into this category, 246/254 @ .050" with .615/.636" lift.

The cam itself is supposed to arrive in a couple more weeks. Pedro must be running a little behind.

Chuck
Old 08-11-2002, 01:23 PM
robzr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were buying roller lifters right now, I'd go for Schneider (Crower). They are the exact same lifter, the only difference is the name brand. Crowers seem to have the best reputation outside of real high dollar lifters. For added security you can run their extreme duty lifters. To save $$$ on these, buy the Schneiders from flatlanderracing.com, they are the same piece as the Crower for cheaper.

Rob
Old 08-11-2002, 02:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't know who's making what for whom, but far as I"m concerned the only roller lifters worth having look like the factory GM stuff....I presume GM makes their own lifters....??? at any rate, the double D clip arrangement with that hold down spyder if a whole lot better than any aftermarket stuff I remember seeing...especially that toggle arrangement....

if the block is not prepped for the factory GM arrangement, IMO...get it done...or buy one that is,

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the deal with the roller lifter shortage???

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with the roller lifter shortage???