C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson install, 454 w/ headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Borgeson install, 454 w/ headers

Plenty of Borgeson install threads, but didn't see any on cars with big-blocks and headers so figured I'd post my experience.

I'm not going to repeat stuff that was already posted in the last Borgeson thread here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html

My car is a '71 with factory LS5, PS, PB, AC. I have Edelbrock aluminum heads with stock exhaust port locations. Headers are Hooker Supercomps, 1 7/8" primaries (under-car, not sidepipe).

I removed the stock box and installed the Borgeson from the top. I had to remove the master cylinder from the booster, but kept the lines attached. Also removed the bolt holding the distribution block bracket to the frame so I could move the master more. It's very tight to get the box in between the valve and master.

Instructions say 68-72 has to relocate the brake lines. I did not have to do that. Distribution block is still in the factory location and I'm using stock lines.

The brass adapters that go in the box to adapt from o-ring to flare are funky. One side just fell into place, the other was press-fit. I screwed up by using a steel punch to drive it in and damaged the adapter. Luckily if you buy the conversion kit you end up with extra adapters as they come with the box as well as the lines. I pulled the damaged one out and found a better way to get the adapter in: Just lay it in the box, attach the hose and let the fitting press it in as you tighten it. Very easy that way.

Clearance from the #3 header pipe to the box is actually greater with the Borgeson than stock. #5 is much tighter. If you have larger primary header and/or raised exhaust ports it will be problematic. A dent in #5 is most likely required.

If anyone needs factory power steering components, I have some for sale... good condition, didn't leak. Steering box recently rebuilt by Tracdogg2.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Your experience and clearance were very similar to mine with the same heads. Stock port location is likely the key. My headers had a bit less clearance but they are Hedmans with 2" primaries. No header dents required, and my Borg box actually went in from below- much to my surprise. Congrats.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good Zwede. I have raised exh ports with 2" primaries, which is why I am fearful of trying this.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Well, I'm sure you have a hammer.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Good writeup.

When I installed mine I found I actually had better clearance everywhere with the Hooker 2-1/8" headers and the .600" raised exhaust ports on the Brodix heads.

I was able to "remove" the dimple I previously needed on the #3 pipe.

With the turbocharger install I used McJack's 2" shorty headers from Corvette Central and they clear everwhere fine even with the raised exhaust ports.

JIM
Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad to see this finally done on a BB. I have Hooker side pipes, is there less clearance with them? I had to clearance # 3 pipe just for the stock box. Looks like a nice install.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having Doug's headers installed with my rebuilt 454. When I measured for the Borgeson it appeared everything would clear. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Default Update

Well it turns out the the Doug's Headers (bolted to Edelbrock heads) don't quite clear the box. We'll be making some modifications to the headers so they do not touch. They only slightly touch so it shouldn't take to much.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM
430t
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

I also got a Borgeson box and will install it soon.
My car is a 72 454 with Sanderson BB 5 Block- Hugger headers.
There is little space left even with the stock box.

Can anybody report if the Borgeson will clear with Sanderson headers ?

Andreas
Old 05-14-2015, 02:13 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 430t
Hello everybody,

I also got a Borgeson box and will install it soon.
My car is a 72 454 with Sanderson BB 5 Block- Hugger headers.
There is little space left even with the stock box.

Can anybody report if the Borgeson will clear with Sanderson headers ?

Andreas
A ton of room with a small block, but that's not much help to you.......

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
The following users liked this post:
4 speed (04-05-2016)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Saddlehorn
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Very helpful info. I take it from your experience that a 454 with stock exhaust manifolds would have no clearance problems with the Borgeson box? I have a '73 454 with a shot box and this upgrade looks to be the best option.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 AM
oz68VET
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bit of an old post, but just thought I'd add my current experience. I have significant interference issues with my install. Will have to see what headers I have (no name, just a pn on the flange). #3 was already slightly dinted for the manual box, it needed further dinting. But #7 has a significant interference with the rag joint, will need heating and bending towards the firewall/footwell, and maybe a cut and join. I was a bit bummed as no one had reported any issues. But I definitely found some.
Has stock 215 heads and 2" primaries (probably too big, but came on the car!)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by oz68VET
Bit of an old post, but just thought I'd add my current experience. I have significant interference issues with my install. Will have to see what headers I have (no name, just a pn on the flange). #3 was already slightly dinted for the manual box, it needed further dinting. But #7 has a significant interference with the rag joint, will need heating and bending towards the firewall/footwell, and maybe a cut and join. I was a bit bummed as no one had reported any issues. But I definitely found some.
Has stock 215 heads and 2" primaries (probably too big, but came on the car!)
Why don't you go with a universal joint vs. the rag. You'll find these will provide far more clearance than the rag and I actually think it provides better feedback to the steering wheel (IMO).
Old 03-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Ranger24
Pro

If I had it to do over I would probably opt for a rack vs. the box. The box worked good but between the clearance issues and PS temps I've have to do a lot of work to get this system straight. Works great now but...
Old 03-12-2018, 01:42 PM
wicked74
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Dummy me collapsed the column too far and I had to pull it back out.What a PITA!got it done though

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson install, 454 w/ headers

Quick Reply: Borgeson install, 454 w/ headers