C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine builders please step in

Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default engine builders please step in

I picked up a fair to good 350 010 block a few months ago. I have never done an engine rebuild but my goal here is a 383 with about 10.5 compression and around 450HP.

I finally got it stripped down this weekend and its ready for the machine shop. trouble is I have no idea what to ask for or what services might possibly be offered.
There is some light rust in the cylinders, more than a honing could fix. so boring will be in order I assume.
Is it assumed the decks should be machined in the process or the crank journals honed?
What else should be done?

just trying to be an educated consumer before calling the shop.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

They will be better equipped to tell you what is needed. To do it correctly a bore and hone and square everything up is needed. This probably means machining the head surface so it is flat and making sure the crank journals are all in line which may require a pass with a boring bar to square it all up.

Have them hot tank the block to get all the rust and scale out of it and they will install new cam bearings also.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg
I picked up a fair to good 350 010 block a few months ago. I have never done an engine rebuild but my goal here is a 383 with about 10.5 compression and around 450HP.

I finally got it stripped down this weekend and its ready for the machine shop. trouble is I have no idea what to ask for or what services might possibly be offered.
There is some light rust in the cylinders, more than a honing could fix. so boring will be in order I assume.
Is it assumed the decks should be machined in the process or the crank journals honed?
What else should be done?

just trying to be an educated consumer before calling the shop.
1. Hot Tank or Thermal Cleaning.
2. Bore and hone with a TQ plate.
3. Square Deck surfaces
4. Line Hone mains
5. Clearance for stroke (rods will hit the lower cyl/pan rail area if not done)
6. Install cam brgs, oil galley plugs and core plugs.

What are you going to do for internal parts? Couple of things here you need to know about.

The machine shop will need the new pistons to bore hone the block.

If you use file fit rings the machine shop will need to do that as well unless you have a ring filer and are capable.

If the rods are press fit - the machine shop will need to press the rods on the pistons.... if they are floating - you can do it yourself or have them done.

Crankshaft balancing....

Is the block a 4 bolt main block?

At 450HP or more you'd be money ahead using a factory 4 bolt or having a 2 bolt block converted. The machine shop will need to do the conversion if yours is a 2 bolt.

Do you have a machine shop in mind?

I have a very good friend that owns/operates a top notch shop in Jonesboro GA. Be happy to put in a good word for a fellow CF member.

Do you have a plan for the 383 450HP engine combination?

I'd be glad to help there if you need it. Some of my very recent work here on CF just came off the dyno in Indiana.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...95-dyno-s.html

Will
Old 05-26-2015, 02:01 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
1. Hot Tank or Thermal Cleaning.
2. Bore and hone with a TQ plate.
3. Square Deck surfaces
4. Line Hone mains
5. Clearance for stroke (rods will hit the lower cyl/pan rail area if not done)
6. Install cam brgs, oil galley plugs and core plugs.

What are you going to do for internal parts? Couple of things here you need to know about.

The machine shop will need the new pistons to bore hone the block.
did not know this. How do I know what size to buy untill the bores are cut?

If you use file fit rings the machine shop will need to do that as well unless you have a ring filer and are capable.

If the rods are press fit - the machine shop will need to press the rods on the pistons.... if they are floating - you can do it yourself or have them done.

Crankshaft balancing....

Is the block a 4 bolt main block?

At 450HP or more you'd be money ahead using a factory 4 bolt or having a 2 bolt block converted. The machine shop will need to do the conversion if yours is a 2 bolt.
Yes it is a 4 bolt main.

Do you have a machine shop in mind?

I have a very good friend that owns/operates a top notch shop in Jonesboro GA. Be happy to put in a good word for a fellow CF member.
I have not committed to any shop yet. shoot me a PM with contact info. ill give them a ring

Do you have a plan for the 383 450HP engine combination?

I'd be glad to help there if you need it. Some of my very recent work here on CF just came off the dyno in Indiana.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...95-dyno-s.html

Will
I need a knowledgeable play mate. Your profile says you are in VA? I would love to get together.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Experience and a dial bore gauge tells most of us where a used block will clean up and what pistons to buy but since your not someone who does this alot, your best bet is going to have the machinist look it over, measure the bores and tell you.

That's great. Your money ahead with a factory 4 bolt block.

I will send you a PM with the shop contact info and mine.
Will

Originally Posted by jnealg
did not know this. How do I know what size to buy untill the bores are cut?

Yes it is a 4 bolt main.

I have not committed to any shop yet. shoot me a PM with contact info. ill give them a ring

I need a knowledgeable play mate. Your profile says you are in VA? I would love to get together.

Get notified of new replies

To engine builders please step in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine builders please step in