C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire presure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 04:35 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Okay, I'll address your responses one at a time:

1. The 26 psi you heard about. That was a suggested starting point then increase or DECREASE as needed.

2. The recommended pressure for a Hyundai has nothing to do with this discussion because its an entirely different vehicle running entirely different tires. The equivalent of telling me your 27" bicycle requires 100 psi so everything requires 100 psi. Even vehicles like my Yamaha quad (that only requires 2 psi).

3. Mechanical engineers. Obviously a software engineer wouldn't be remotely qualified to answer a tire inflation question nor would a chemical engineer. As we deal with forces versus pressures required in our work a mechanical engineer seems the best engineering discipline needed to answer tire pressure questions.

I asked you guys to give me your definition of "under inflated" and you either danced around or avoided that question so I'll ask again..............what is your definition of under inflated?

Now here's the question of the day. If you didn't have access to a tire pressure gauge how would you go about inflating a flat tire? At what point would you quit filling it?

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 12-11-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:47 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Default Cement Trucks Using LARGE Single Tires

And here's something else to ponder: The cement trucks of long ago had dual tires at the end of each axle but now days its more common to see huge tubeless single tires because of their greater load carrying ability. With their huge volumes single tires can easily replace the more expensive duals which drastically reduces maintenance costs.

The larger a tire is the less pressure is required to support a given load and that's why the C3's with their large 225-255X60R15's can get by just fine with only 20 psi. Are you beginning to understand this?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
And here's something else to ponder: The cement trucks of long ago had dual tires at the end of each axle but now days its more common to see huge tubeless single tires because of their greater load carrying ability. With their huge volumes single tires can easily replace the more expensive duals which drastically reduces maintenance costs.

The larger a tire is the less pressure is required to support a given load and that's why the C3's with their large 225-255X60R15's can get by just fine with only 20 psi. Are you beginning to understand this?
OMG
Is that why dual tires on a Tandem truck (big rig) usually require anywhere from 105-120 psi (depends on the width) and the single balloon tire requires 120-140 psi. And NO the load rating on a single tire is not the same as dual tires. You should give up while you are behind.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

END THE STUPIDITY. YOU KEEP SAYING THIS

AND THEN YOU SAY THIS.

The recommended pressure for a Hyundai has nothing to do with this discussion because its an entirely different vehicle running entirely different tires.

WHICH 100% CONFLICT WITH EACH OTHER.

You first say that the C3 with the "wide" 255 tires requires a lower pressure because the tires are so "wide". You even claim that the pressure is directly proportional to the weight carried.

Then you say what happens with a Hyundai is irrelevant because it's not the same car. The Hyundai in question is a lighter lighter vehicle with wider tires.Yet you're trying to say your formula and theories on tire pressure don't count for that car because it's not a C3?

You also directly responded to me that your formula doesn't apply to my car since it's not a C3. My car is also lighter with a wider tire.

SO, WHICH IS IT?

DOES pressure = weight/rated weight x rated pressure

OR NOT?

CLAIMING THAT"S THE FORMULA AND THEN CLAIMING IT ONLY WORKS FOR A C3 IS COMPLETE STUPIDITY. YOU'RE JUST MAKING UP MORE BS TO COVER UP YOUR INITIAL BS.

YOU'VE MADE THE POINT MULTIPLE TIMES THAT TIRES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TIRES AND THE PHYSICS HAVE NEVER CHANGED. SO WHY DO THE PHYSICS AND MATH CHANGE BETWEEN A C3 AND ANY OTHER CAR?

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-11-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This thread is another example of the same problem on many subjects lately. Sometimes the known contributor gets things correct, but more than anyone on this forum, his comments turn into a debate about the accuracy and legitimacy of the posts. Sometimes I wonder if its not a troll. Its getting to the point I am ready to stop reading this forum, but I guess there is nothing the moderator can do about it. It is definitely getting old listening to self proclaimed expertise, when alot of it is just opinion, and misinformed at that.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 12-11-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:19 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Really??
You continue. It is very simple to understand that YOU do not have ALL the information to do the calculation properly. I believe any EE could do the calculation when presented with the data. A Chem E, certainly could, but really you don't need to be an engineer - IF YOU HAVE THE DATA. And while we are at it, you don't have to be a Chem E to know that it is a Concrete Truck, not Cement. Do you also believe that concrete dries, rather than hardens?? Ha

Now that you show Texas as home, does this mean you have "on grid" power and we will see a barrage of your useless ramblings?? I am still trying to figure out those complicated spray cans!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

This is the statement from Mr. Shenango based on his discussion with a qualified representative from BF Goodrich regarding their tire:

Originally Posted by shenango
...I decided to ask BF Goodrich for their opinion...The gentleman on the phone spent 20 minutes with me...His recommendations were to inflate to a minimum of 26 psi in the 255's and if the handling seemed to suffer to INCREASE pressure by increments of 2 psi until the proper handling is achieved.
And this was your statement in retort:

1. The 26 psi you heard about. That was a suggested starting point then increase or DECREASE as needed.
I don't see anything in the referenced post that discusses decreasing pressure below 26 PSI.

2. The recommended pressure for a Hyundai has nothing to do with this discussion...
Actually, it does. It is a somewhat similar sized tire on a somewhat similar weighing vehicle.

And the trick with the dual-tire-to-single-tire thing is that the single tire deal is built VERY differently than the dual-tire deal. My limited understanding is that a large portion of the rolling resistance in a tire is from the carcass flexing at the sidewall. If you HALF the number of sidewalls, you lose less energy due to friction/flexiing. Yes, the section width increased...of course it did. The one tire is pulling double duty and the weight has to go somewhere. That is compensated for by changing the internal construction of the tire and changing the internal pressure to suit the new conditions.

I'm not even going to touch the Mechanical Engineering statement. That is one of the silliest arguments I've seen in a while.

And I agree with Mr. Iwasmenowhesgone. It is difficult sometimes to see ALL the silliness posted by one particular individual INFURIATE the community to the point of having a simple 6-post 1-page thread like this go on forever. It is very frustrating.

Last edited by keithinspace; 12-11-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

As a first time Corvette owner, and admitted non mechanical type, I come on here to learn. Since I don't have the knowledge to make an intelligent argue meant. So I read the posts, use what common sense God gave me, and watch and see who gets the most respect. So my vote goes for Whatever Dub Says. It reminds me of the adage:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Or at least try to.
The following users liked this post:
ddawson (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 01:12 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow this thread is still rolling along! lol. I`d give up guys. Mr. Tool just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. You can only debate with someone if they are willing to listen and accept fact. We have all learned a lot though and for that we should thank him.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:57 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER and his name is DUB. For his contribution to this thread he is being awarded a set of 255X60R15 BF Goodrich T/A radials mounted on 8" OEM aluminum wheels and inflated to...............(drum roll)..............20 psi so he can see for himself how much better they wear at the lower pressures. Congratulations Mr. DUB, your tires are in the mail.

Now back to my 2 questions that you are all avoiding.

1. What is your definition of "under inflated"?

2. How would you go about filling a flat tire if you didn't have a gauge?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER and his name is DUB. For his contribution to this thread he is being awarded a set of 255X60R15 BF Goodrich T/A radials mounted on 8" OEM aluminum wheels and inflated to...............(drum roll)..............20 psi so he can see for himself how much better they wear at the lower pressures. Congratulations Mr. DUB, your tires are in the mail.

WTF do your stupid questions have to do with the topic at hand besides trying to misdirect the discussion from your stupidity?

1. Why don't you google the definitions of of under and inflated and quit asking for an english lesson here.

2. I always carry a gauge so I don't have to.

NOW ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.

Do you believe the formula pressure = weight / rated weight time rated pressure or not?

IF you do, then why doesn't the formula apply to any vehicle except for a C3?

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-11-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:25 PM
shenango
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Since everyone else has set you straight in regards to the Hyundae analogy and the decreasing the BFG minimum pressure I will give you the definition of under inflated.
Very simply put and I will type very slowly so you can understand. Under inflation is the property of a given tire that does not carry the minimum specified weight in pounds per square inch as indicated by the tire manufacturer or governing body.

Another jem you posted was to take the advice of a non engineer with a grain of salt.
I don't know if the person I talked to was an engineer or not but he was very knowledgeable in answering my questions and did not hesitate in any manner on any question. And irregardless of the position he held whether it was in engineering, VP of technical development or 3rd floor janitor, he spoke for and represented BF Goodrich. This representation carries with it full legal liability accepted by BFG and their subsidiaries. I would fully accept his information before your illogical, archaic approach.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shenango

Under inflation is the property of a given tire that does not carry the minimum specified weight in pounds per square inch as indicated by the tire manufacturer or governing body.

I have never seen any tire or tire manufacturer state a minimum psi; only a maximum psi that is never to be exceeded.

The minimum psi required depends on the load that tire will be carrying and in the case of a C3 running 255X60R15's that would be 20 psi or slightly less for average driving conditions.

Would anyone else care to give me YOUR definition of under inflated?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Your brain is under inflated.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Your brain is under inflated.
his ego is just that over inflated
Old 12-11-2015, 05:28 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have never seen any tire or tire manufacturer state a minimum psi; only a maximum psi that is never to be exceeded.

The minimum psi required depends on the load that tire will be carrying and in the case of a C3 running 255X60R15's that would be 20 psi or slightly less for average driving conditions.

Would anyone else care to give me YOUR definition of under inflated?
I will as soon as you tell hwy you have been on the forum for 6 years and just now became a pain in the azz.

You said you had an 82, now put one foot in front of the other and go out to your covered garage next to your single wide and read what it says on the door regarding tire pressure.

I find it hard to believe you hold any degree or diploma unless it was a GED Certificate and I would bet on it. All you have to do is scan it or take a picture of it and show us. But I know that is never going to happen because you can't come up with it.

I don't know anything about tires as it was not taught in any of my Nuclear Physics courses.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Default A Tire Is A Pressure Vessel

Its not the tire that holds a car up but rather the air pressure in that tire. The tire is merely a "pressure vessel" that contains the air. That's why a bigger tire can carry the same load with less pressure and that's why the cement (uh concrete) trucks can get by with a single wide tire to replace the more expensive and narrower duals.

I bought my '71 in September of 2009 and immediately put a new set of tires on it. I'm now half way thru my 2nd set because of the number of comfortable miles I put on it each year.

I put about 250,000 miles on my '82 running 20/20 psi but I run 24/20 psi in my '71 because of my 454's additional 250+ pounds of weight.

Get notified of new replies

To tire presure

Old 12-11-2015, 05:51 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

ok Mr Toolbroke what is the curb weight of the 82 vs the 71? have you ever scaled the cars?
have you ever thought about using a chalk mark across the tread and rolling the car to actually see the wear pattern across the tire?
I don't think your quip of being a ME matters a rats azz common sense prevails.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DANG...I am finally a 'WINNER'...and being a set of T/A radials on aluminum wheels. I guess I will need to get them computer balanced...but that is ok. I am sure the date codes are good also and not being stored in the warehouse somewhere for ten years.

And even though I am the winner ( thank you-thank you...no applause needed).....I HATE to tell you...there is NO WAY IN HELL that I will keep the tire pressure at 20psi. Sorry...but that is just NOT going to happen., I have evolved WITH technology and even though I do not have a degree in Engineering.....those that know me really good know that I am NOT the dullest tool in the shed. I have a very analytical brain...and it does not take many FACTS that are proven to make me change my way of thinking. When I can dissect the facts and each question I have about the FACTS is shown to be that the facts are correct....it is HARD to dispute it.

All I can say this is that I am GLAD that 'Toobroke' stays out of the 'paint/body' section of this forum. Because I KNOW that technology has passed him up on that...and it would not be a good thing for him to 'play around' in that area of the forum....just 'saying'.

Toobroke....do you have a tracking number for my new tires and wheels so I can see when they will get to me? I am SO excited.

Well...I do not know because I have a gauge in all my cars....and if you are filling up your flat tire at a service/gas station....and paying for the air more than likely...they have a gauge made onto the hose. And I would figure that you would have a method to teach all of us on how to defibrillate a tire and just by how it feels....kinda like how truck drivers check there tires.... we would knwo how full it is within 1-2 psi.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
All I can say this is that I am GLAD that 'Toobroke' stays out of the 'paint/body' section of this forum. Because I KNOW that technology has passed him up on that...and it would not be a good thing for him to 'play around' in that area of the forum....just 'saying'.

DUB
You didn't just say that out loud, did you?

Wait until he tells you the story of how he welded his chasis back together with 2 batteries, jumper cables and a stack of pennies.

Quick Reply: tire presure