C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 10:42 AM
mk8035
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering

I have a 1976 Vette. I have taken the tilt steering column apart. While doing so i broke a plastic piece that was inside, it is some kind of retainer? I have tried looking it up and getting the name of the piece so i can buy one but i cant find it anywhere, Need HELP
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mk8035
I have a 1976 Vette. I have taken the tilt steering column apart. While doing so i broke a plastic piece that was inside, it is some kind of retainer? I have tried looking it up and getting the name of the piece so i can buy one but i cant find it anywhere, Need HELP

If you are referring to the tan-colored cupped plastic retainer that covers the steel "U" clip all of the vendors stocks them. Over time those U clip retainers get real brittle and will break apart when you try to remove them. When you get a new one grind off it's locking tabs and then you can remove it whenever you want without any damage to it.
The following users liked this post:
mk8035 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I do not recommend modifying the T&T strg column, plastic, retainer/insulator. It is a critical safety part. It not only prevents the big telescoping spring from touching metal steering column parts (and causing your horn to blow continuously); it also prevents the metal c-clip from disengaging the yoke steering shaft. If the c-clip comes loose, you will find that you are able to remove the steering wheel, hub, and upper steering shaft from the steering column. You do not want those critical steering parts to come out of your column; in your hands; while driving down the road.

I found the part under Zip Products SC-517. It is readily available from most other Corvette C3 suppliers as well.
Jim

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 03-13-2016 at 08:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SH-60B (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
If you are referring to the tan-colored cupped plastic retainer that covers the steel "U" clip all of the vendors stocks them. Over time those U clip retainers get real brittle and will break apart when you try to remove them. When you get a new one grind off it's locking tabs and then you can remove it whenever you want without any damage to it.
Wow, no thanks. Sounds more like Russian Roulette than steering column assembly advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering

Quick Reply: Steering