C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Default Gasket sealant

About to install new Edelbrock aluminum intake on SBC. Edelbrock instructions call for using there version of gasket sealant called Gasgacinch or something like that. Also calling for RTV for front/rear lip. I have several RTV silicones I could use. I have blue, black, and ultra copper by permatex. I also have and remember Dad using Permatex aviation gasket maker. Will the Permatex gasket maker work in place of the "Gaasgacinch"? And will the Ultracopper be ok for the front/rear lip seals? IF not, what do you use that I can pick up at my local O'Riellys? TIA Andy
Old 04-30-2016, 01:11 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Gasgacinch has been around forever, think contact cement in a can with a little ball for an applicator.
The following users liked this post:
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

OK my local O'Riellys doesn't have "Gasaginch" or anything like it and have never heard of it. That's the O'Rielys at Knoxville, IA home of the Sprint car hall of fame and Grand nationals. They say just use a dab of silicone to hold them in place and put it on. That is all I remember doing, except when Dad used the Permatex avaiation gasket maker on every thing. Lightly applied it to all gaskets. So any other thoughts out there?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I personally like using GM intake gaskets when installing an intake...and not the blue Fel-pro type. To each his/her own on that one.

Around the water jacket areas of the intake gaskets..I apply a thin coat of the GM engine sealant. A lot of it depends on the integrity of the cylinder head where this gasket has to seal against.

I use the Permatex aviation sealant also....so it mall depends....and usually if I use the aviation stuff....I apply it thinly and allow it to thicken up before I assemble it. So it just depends.

I know O'Reillys sells some of the Ultra gray RTV which is kinda thick/heavy bodied like the GM stuff I use....or at least the O'Reilly near me sells it.

DUB
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I used Permatrx #2
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

You can use the common 'grey' colored sealer found in every auto store on the planet. Heavy bead at the corners where the head meets the block, a finger wipes worth around the coolant and air passages.
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
You can use the common 'grey' colored sealer found in every auto store on the planet. Heavy bead at the corners where the head meets the block, a finger wipes worth around the coolant and air passages.
I like the grey because it matches the aluminum manifold. I use spray Permatex gasket sealer on the gaskets.
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
I like the grey because it matches the aluminum manifold. I use spray Permatex gasket sealer on the gaskets.
I like the spray stuff too but I usually make a mess of everything around me, get it all over my hands and the floor too!
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I personally like using GM intake gaskets when installing an intake...and not the blue Fel-pro type. To each his/her own on that one.

Around the water jacket areas of the intake gaskets..I apply a thin coat of the GM engine sealant. A lot of it depends on the integrity of the cylinder head where this gasket has to seal against.

I use the Permatex aviation sealant also....so it mall depends....and usually if I use the aviation stuff....I apply it thinly and allow it to thicken up before I assemble it. So it just depends.

I know O'Reillys sells some of the Ultra gray RTV which is kinda thick/heavy bodied like the GM stuff I use....or at least the O'Reilly near me sells it.

DUB
I agree on the GM gaskets. I use Ultra Black around the water passages on both top and bottom, in the corners and across the walls. I haven't had a leak yet. I use a little Ultra Black on the bolts on bolts on each side of the water jackets also and any bolts that you can see through the bottom of the holes.
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by flyeri
I agree on the GM gaskets. I use Ultra Black around the water passages on both top and bottom, in the corners and across the walls. I haven't had a leak yet. I use a little Ultra Black on the bolts on bolts on each side of the water jackets also and any bolts that you can see through the bottom of the holes.
I have a hard time getting past being able to see a blue gasket. I just simple can not live with it. And it often times detracts from what else is going on in the engine compartment. It is my personal feelings on that and I know that will never change.

I also like to use the GM Teflon thread sealant on the two bolts in the center of each side of the intake where the holes pass into the lifter area ....so...in time...you do not have oil leaking/pooling out of them due to an incorrect PCV valve or system. The Ultra black will work also...but I have some customers who want it JUST LIKE how GM did it and when I work on Tuned Port and LT-1/4 engines....they want to see that I have the correct stuff on hand.

DUB
Andy Tuttle (05-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Gasket sealant

Quick Reply: Gasket sealant