C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 big block doug header install help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 big block doug header install help

I have a 1980 Corvette with a 427 and a 6-71 blower. I purchased ceramic coated big block Doug headers and side pipes for it but before installing, I looked up the specs on the World Merlin 2 heads I have and the exhaust port is .600" higher than stock. Anyone out there install these before and if so, were there any clearance issues with the frame since they are almost 5/8" higher? Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't forget the heads are on an angle, it's not like the exhaust port is 5/8' higher straight up, when you factor in the angle of the heads it will be less than 1/2" to 3/8" higher than stock. And in my experience it doesn't really make any difference for the exhaust port to be a little higher than stock when using headers .
The following users liked this post:
SHADRACK (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Don't forget the heads are on an angle, it's not like the exhaust port is 5/8' higher straight up, when you factor in the angle of the heads it will be less than 1/2" to 3/8" higher than stock. And in my experience it doesn't really make any difference for the exhaust port to be a little higher than stock when using headers .
That's a great point! I just know there is not a lot of clearance to begin with so just wanted some other opinions before I spent a lot of time yanking the rusty Hedmans off, try to install these, have them not fit and waste a ton of time for no gain. Really appreciate the help.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

If you have rusty old headers with no holes in them you can get them ceramic coated and they will come back looking better than new. That what I did a few engines back.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 PM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by MotorHead
If you have rusty old headers with no holes in them you can get them ceramic coated and they will come back looking better than new. That what I did a few engines back.
Thanks. Actually the Hedman headers have about 100 miles and 7 years on them but they started rusting as soon as I started the fresh motor. I do like the side pipe look and going to attempt getting them on. Wish me luck! Those Doug Headers look very stout and very well built so I believe I will be happy with them. If you are wondering why I only have 100 miles on the car in 7 years, had a number of rear end issues- stuff I purchased from Van Steel gave me so much grief, I walked away from the car for a long time to regroup. Actually bought a 2003 Z06 to fill the void for my need for speed. Back working on the '80 again. Will be on the road, with side pipes in June.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 big block doug header install help

Quick Reply: 1980 big block doug header install help