C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 big block headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 big block headers

I recently purchased ceramic coated headers and side pipes from Dougs for my 1980 with a big block and was not successful getting them to fit. Passenger side worked perfect, drivers side was hitting the side of the car. I thought maybe a motor mount swap would work but I took the mount out, dropped the motor as far as it would go and they still wouldn't fit. So, I scrapped the idea and now just looking for replacement headers that will fit. I have hedmans on it now but the spark plug wire clearance is horrible. The Doug Headers fit and looked great but they only sell headers with the side pipe kit.
Does anyone know what header will fit my car? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

why dont you keep the Hedmans and install shorty spark plugs?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SHADRACK
I recently purchased ceramic coated headers and side pipes from Dougs for my 1980 with a big block and was not successful getting them to fit. Passenger side worked perfect, drivers side was hitting the side of the car. I thought maybe a motor mount swap would work but I took the mount out, dropped the motor as far as it would go and they still wouldn't fit. So, I scrapped the idea and now just looking for replacement headers that will fit. I have hedmans on it now but the spark plug wire clearance is horrible. The Doug Headers fit and looked great but they only sell headers with the side pipe kit.
I am curious - what exactly are the Doug's headers hitting? the rocker panel or the frame?
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Is it hitting a "lot" or a "little"?

Back in the day, we had trouble fitting Hooker headers on old roadrunners as the torsion bars or frames got in the way.

We would mark the spot on the header, pull it out and then smack it with a hammer a few times to dent it till it cleared. If we were fancy, we'd heat the spot up and bend slowly.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by cooper9811
I am curious - what exactly are the Doug's headers hitting? the rocker panel or the frame?
The drivers side is hitting the fender. The whole header would have to be bent down and out in order to get enough clearance. Strange because the passenger side fits perfect- I have more than an inch clearance from the fender.,
Old 06-01-2016, 10:27 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

The drivers side is hitting the fender. The whole header would have to be bent down and out in order to get enough clearance. Strange because the passenger side fits perfect- I have more than an inch clearance from the fender.,
It was hitting the rocker panel on both sides but I expected that since dougs said they would. Little trimming and they cleared fine.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I have Hedmans on my 68 convert with a NOM 454 installed by the PO. They "dimpled" the headers about 1/2 inch to make clearance around one of the mounting bolts for the pitman arm and the body of the steering gear. It is not noticeable and probably does not affect performance much. Not sure how this translates to the bb in your newer chassis.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by cooper9811
Mystery solved. I got another set of the exact same headers from Dougs since they said there is slight variation from Header to header. Had the same issue with it hitting the frame and the fender. After measuring, I noticed the fender on the passenger side was out 16 1/4" from the frame and the drivers side was 17 1/2"! That's one of the reasons why they aren't fitting on the drivers side. There are no signs that the car has ever been hit and the doors and hood align great so apparently the car was just made that way? Ugh! It appears the fender starts to flare out about 6" in front of the door and gradually goes out 1 1/4". Doesn't appear that there is any way to adjust it either but maybe there is?
The only other long tube ceramic header that I could find is McJack's and he said he takes Hedmans and coats them. Probably go with those if there is no way to scoot that fender in. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 10:11 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
why dont you keep the Hedmans and install shorty spark plugs?
Thanks for the thought but that would actually make the clearance problem worse since the spark plug wire boot is bigger than the spark plug. The plugs themselves are very difficult to even get in with those headers.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 AM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Measure your footwells, and you will find the drivers side is wider than the passenger side
Old 06-06-2016, 04:22 AM
SHADRACK
Advanced

Originally Posted by righthanddrive
Measure your footwells, and you will find the drivers side is wider than the passenger side
Will do. Never knew that. So I guess that means there is no adjustment! Oh well. Guess i will get some ceramic coated Hedmans from McJack and call it a day. Thanks for the feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 big block headers

Quick Reply: 1980 big block headers