C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Vette Speedo Cable Bullet Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM
ADHDVETTE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Vette Speedo Cable Bullet Issue

Random question. Replaced my lower speedo cable on my 78 vette recently and within a week started to get a leak from the bullet housing on the transmission where its attached. New cable was the same length as the old. Thought it was odd so yesterday i replaced the bullet housing to make sure its old seals were not at fault. Today still a small leak. So i just went and ordered a new cable from corvette america. First one was a cheap one from advance auto. Does it sounds like i am on the right track?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You disassembled an item that had old worn seals in it. The appropriate repair would have been to change those seals while you were at it. And, you have now found out WHY we do that when repairs are made to such devices. THEY BEGIN TO LEAK if you don't finish the job.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 PM
ADHDVETTE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All is brand new now. I guess i wasnt clear in my post but i already put a completely new bullet in the transmission. Just waiting on the new speedo cable to get here. The question that was being asked was other than those two things could anything else be causing a leak from that bullet housing.

Last edited by ADHDVETTE; 07-06-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Nope. Something above that bullet could be leaking and making it appear like the speedo bullet had the leak. But, if the O-ring and internal lip seal are not damaged, the only other way that bullet could leak is if there was a machining or assembly error.

If the O-ring is not lubed before installation, it can 'roll' and/or cut during installation.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-07-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ADHDVETTE
Random question. Replaced my lower speedo cable on my 78 vette recently and within a week started to get a leak from the bullet housing on the transmission where its attached. New cable was the same length as the old. Thought it was odd so yesterday i replaced the bullet housing to make sure its old seals were not at fault. Today still a small leak. So i just went and ordered a new cable from corvette america. First one was a cheap one from advance auto. Does it sounds like i am on the right track?
I just replaced this housing on my 1979 with a GM part. The part comes with instructions. The housing is shipped with the seal that fits around the driven gear shaft, flush with the end of the housing. The shaft of the driven gear is tapered where it connects to the speedometer cable. If this tapered end is under the seal when the gear is installed, then the instructions say to use an appropriate sized socket to hammer the seal into the housing. On the 1979, the seal had to be driven into the housing.

When I installed it, I put some plumber's grease around the o ring and some lithium grease around the shaft of the driven gear.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Vette Speedo Cable Bullet Issue

Quick Reply: 78 Vette Speedo Cable Bullet Issue