C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 ls5 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 AM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I would recommend converting to a retro hydraulic cam shaft with roller lifters. You will not only get a bump in HP, but you wouldn't need to worry about wiping a cam lobe because of most of the oils you get today.

If you stay with a the hydraulic lifter cam shaft make sure you put in the oil additive's with every oil change.

Just my .02.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by crf311
I would recommend converting to a retro hydraulic cam shaft with roller lifters. You will not only get a bump in HP, but you wouldn't need to worry about wiping a cam lobe because of most of the oils you get today.

If you stay with a the hydraulic lifter cam shaft make sure you put in the oil additive's with every oil change.

Just my .02.
Good info/recommendation here, you will see in the neighborhood of 30+ add'l HP with the hyd-roller platform.

Also, you can use the MkVI stepped-nosed cams in the MkIV castings with little to no effort. Drill and tap (2) 1/4-20 holes and use the late style cam thrust plate/screws. No cam buttons OR cam end play to "mess" around with, just bolt it together and go!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We just made a major "breakthrough" with being able to install the later stepped-nose (hyd-roller or mech-roller) cams on the SBC platform, again, no cam buttons OR chasing cam end play. Some add'l machining (slightly more than the BB's) but for us it's now also a "bolt-it-together" and go deal! No timing cover reinforcement issues, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2016, 12:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

if youre spending the money for a rebuild and want more power dont be shy with compression heads etc. Usually a cam and a little headwork doesnt get one what they hoped for.
Unless its an ultra lowmiles number garage queen deck that thing and put some good stuff in it. Ls5 isnt really a powerhouse stock as you know
All up to you and your budget believ eme an imroved motor wont "ruin" your car as some would have you think. (flame suit on)
You bought it to have fun in right?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:51 AM
ru4crzn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Hi Steve, we do these LS-5's all the time for many of the guy's that want to maintain the 100% stock-appearing look.

We have one now, a '72" Chevelle "W" coded (if I recall correctly) on the Super-Chevy website that was done about 10 or 11 years ago, still running strong as ever! The owner's name is Tracey, you can check it out if you like.

Today we are at 500+ HP with ALL the original components, no need for any "special" heads, intakes, even headers. The factory exhaust manifolds along with the Q-jet carbs are all in play. This is how they are dressed when they're on the dyno. Over time many get judged at the Vette shows in our area!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On almost all of these type builds there is absolutely NO chasing HP numbers, take the pieces and just "bolt-it-all-together", really that simple. Here's a shot of the unit in that one on the website above, it was done locally at "Island Musclecars" here on Long Island back when. We don't paint these, the resto-shop takes care of that.
Saw this post , was wondering what you had in mind? I took have a LS5 but in a Chevelle SS 1970. Was wondering if you could share some information on how and what to do to the engine. Mike ru4crzn@att.net
Old 06-25-2021, 11:51 AM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Click on the User Name and look at their profile to see Last Activity - you'll notice GOSFAST hasn't been on the forum in 8 months so a PM would be better once you have some more activity. Mods don't like old threads being opened
Old 06-26-2021, 04:58 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by ru4crzn
Saw this post , was wondering what you had in mind? I took have a LS5 but in a Chevelle SS 1970. Was wondering if you could share some information on how and what to do to the engine. Mike ru4crzn@att.net
You are responding to a post from 5 years ago.

Quick Reply: 1970 ls5 rebuild