C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random questions on 72 A/C convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:47 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Random questions on 72 A/C convertible

Did the Air conditioned convertibles:

1. Have Astro ventilation?

2. Did all 72 convertible side windows have the Astro Ventilation script?

3. Did all 72 convertibles have the air box for Astro ventilation under the rear deck grills?

Jim
Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
Welcome!
First Post!!!
No, a/c equipped cars didn't have a functioning Astro Ventilation system, but DID have the script on the side widows, and coupes but not convertibles also had the fiberglass plenums at the rear deck, but did NOT have the doors and actuator that operates the plenum doors and makes the system function.
Both coupes and convertibles have a metal block-off plate at the location the plenum IS in coupes and WOULD BE in convertibles.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-30-2016 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
72 Project (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Jim,
No, a/c equipped cars didn't have a functioning Astro Ventilation system, but DID have the script on the side widows, and also the fiberglass plenum at the rear deck, but NOT the doors and actuator that operates the plenum doors.
Regards,
Alan
True that my '72 vert was an old show car, but most of the running gear was left alone, stock engine/trans for that matter, and when I bough it, stock wheels/tires.....

but yes all the ASStro vent window markings, the vent up front before the wiper door, but the back deck had the metal strips across the inside wall, and of course I had the louvers behind the top hatch cover....now here is the odd comment, I did not have any 'plenum' up/under any of the rear, in fact I put a couple of 6x9 speakers in that wall with foam backing buckets, some 20 years ago when I bought this ride......and never saw anything odd, just a wide open space demanding speakers.....
72 Project (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Thanks Alan

So both convertibles and coupes, A/C means Astro Ventilation was capped off. Non A/C had functional Astro Ventilation.

All side windows had the script and all cars had the (air box) plenum.

Did having A/C have any effect on the side vents in the foot wells?

Jim
Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 72 Project
Did having A/C have any effect on the side vents in the foot wells?

Jim
YES...the side vent in your RIGHT kick plate panel area is the ONLY used for MAX A/C for the re-circulation of cabin air. The 'vent' for the LEFT side is not used and blocked off due to being an A/C car.

And the 'flapper door' that is under your top right fender area at the cowl/wiper area is where the incoming air is stopped when you are also in MAX A/C mode.

DUB
72 Project (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
Non a/c cars have 2 levers on the shifter console that open and close the 2 kick panel vents.
A/C cars DO NOT have these controls because the a/c air system is part of the plenums in the lock pillar.
Regards,
Alan

Added: you're quick DUB, I was looking for my picture!

The control lever/**** for a 71 non-air car.
72 Project (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM
72 Project
Instructor

mrvette Thanks for your response. Is it your belief your vert came that way from the factory?

DUB Thank you for the information. I will look for the air inlet under the top of the right fender.

Alan 71 I do not have these levers on my 72. But remember them from a 72 convertible non-A/C, I had 89 - 94 (should never have sold it)

My 72 convertible is an A/C car. There is no plenum under the rear grills. I can see the ground when looking down thru the grills on the rear deck. Is there any way to tell if it came from the factory this way or if a previous owner removed it for some strange reason.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My 72 convertible is an A/C car. There is no plenum under the rear grills. I can see the ground when looking down thru the grills on the rear deck. Is there any way to tell if it came from the factory this way or if a previous owner removed it for some strange reason.
The car is CORRECT....due to NO vacuum port that would open and close these doors/flaps. It is as simple as that. I have YET to ever see an A/C car with functional rear deck doors/flaps.

DUB
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 PM
irelandr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mrvette Thanks for your response. Is it your belief your vert came that way from the factory?

DUB Thank you for the information. I will look for the air inlet under the top of the right fender.

Alan 71 I do not have these levers on my 72. But remember them from a 72 convertible non-A/C, I had 89 - 94 (should never have sold it)

I have a 72 Convertible with AC and have had the whole rear end out, suspension, arms, spring so had a read good look and using your own words "My 72 convertible is an A/C car. There is no plenum under the rear grills. I can see the ground when looking down thru the grills on the rear deck. "

Rich
72 Project (08-03-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Random questions on 72 A/C convertible

Quick Reply: Random questions on 72 A/C convertible