C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window rubber

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:56 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Rear window rubber

Does anybody in this country make a removable rear window weather strip that fits? I have ordered 3 now, and they all are about the same.

I ordered almost all of the rubber from Steele Rubber, and it's really nice, but, they don't make the rear window rubber.

It would appear those that are made are made from 2 pieces of straight rubber, and molded corners at the bottom. When you make a Z shaped piece, it will not go around the top of the rear window, it is curved, not straight.

Anybody have a solution? And, yes, I could "V" cut the rubber and make it fit, but I'd rather not. Oh well, what do you guys have?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The one we carry is CRC brand and I've never had any issue with it not fitting. Not sure where you other rubbers came from but I installed on in my own car about a year ago without issue. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ow-coupe-68-72

Willcox
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The one we carry is CRC brand and I've never had any issue with it not fitting. Not sure where you other rubbers came from but I installed on in my own car about a year ago without issue. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ow-coupe-68-72

Willcox
Thanks Willcox, they sent the one I got today. It's the top corners. Am I missing something? They won't lay on the window, or fit in the opening properly.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Typically the rear window seal was held in place with several very small screws in each upper corner.
These screws helped secure the seal tightly into the corners.
Are you using them?
Regards,
Alan

You can see countersunk flat 3 screw heads in this picture.

The following users liked this post:
USAFVeteran (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Alan, Can you tell me what product you used to glue the window weatherstripping down?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi CG,
I used regular black weatherstrip adhesive on the rear window seal.
I used tape to hold it in place while the adhesive dried, and did one side and then the other.
The screws really help because they help to keep the corners in the proper position.
Regards,
Alan

Here's the screw locations in the fiberglass frame in my 71.

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-03-2016 at 11:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
CanadaGrant (08-03-2016), USAFVeteran (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi CG,
I used regular black weatherstrip adhesive on the rear window seal.
I used tape to hold it in place while the adhesive dried, and did one side and then the other.
The screws really help because they help to keep the corners in the proper position.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, you always provide great solutions for everybody here, I've lurked for a while and saw you provide good information, thank you very much.

I'm not even getting that far with my replacement on the weather strip. I do have the screws, they came out of the original rubber.

And in the picture you provided, it appears that those top corners where the screws are have a bit of a curve to them, mine are completely straight, no curve at all. And, now I find out the bottom part is about an inch too long.

Is that rubber in the pic one you took off to replace?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V,
The seal in the picture is the original which I reused.
It definitely has formed round upper corners.
The trick and reason for the screws was to hold the corners tight in position while the adhesive set.
I used lots of painters tape too.
You have to be careful while you're 'seating' the seal in order to prevent stretching it as you apply it. If you stretch it becomes too long to fit in the opening.
Regards,
Alan
CanadaGrant (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V,
The seal in the picture is the original which I reused.
It definitely has formed round upper corners.
The trick and reason for the screws was to hold the corners tight in position while the adhesive set.
I used lots of painters tape too.
You have to be careful while you're 'seating' the seal in order to prevent stretching it as you apply it. If you stretch it becomes too long to fit in the opening.
Regards,
Alan
Yes sir, it's already a bit too long across the bottom as it is. I'm just disappointed in a lot of the parts I've used on this project. It started out to be a motor rebuild, and snowballed like a big dog. But, it's all stuff that needed to be done any way.

I'll try again, with, hopefully a bit more patience this time. I have some painters tape that won't damage the finish on the car. I really dislike inferior parts.

Thanks again Alan!!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V,
The parts situation is difficult for at least 2 reasons:
Even old GM service parts may be different than the part being replaced.
The service part only needed to be a functional replacement not necessarily be identical to the original part. It's for this reason that some restorers use as few replacement parts as possible and spend their time restoring the parts they have.
The quality of contemporary reproduction parts is often disappointing and on occasion simply not usable. This seems to be especially true for interior 'soft' parts and parts being reproduced for the wiper door and headlight systems.
Many folks working on old Corvettes are fighting the parts situation at every turn.
Having Fun?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Willcox Corvette (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Alan, actually I am having fun.
It's hard to recondition rubber parts, as you know all to well. I have previously done the whole interior, starting with cleaning back to bare fiberglass floor, then DymaMat Xtreme, and on to the original jute and carpet. The carpet came from a GM authorized supplier, and it worked almost perfect. Very little trouble at all, just the pieces over the wheel arches had to "massaged" a bit.
All the other weather strip is from Steele Rubber and it fits as good as factory, or so it seems. They don't make the rear window rubber, now I'm wondering why haha.

It's pretty hot and muggy in Tucson, in the garage today, so I'm kinda slow leaking work today, enjoying that I have the time to do it at my pace now. I'll get it, and it will be on the ground very soon, getting the FAST fuel injection tuned. Speaking of, I can't believe how responsive that motor is without being tuned. I have a little initial tuning right now, but can't finish until we take it out. My son works at a hot rod/race car/collector car garage and he's really wanting to help set this up. He's not had a car so far, that has used it. This way he'll be able to tell customers first hand about it, and not hearsay.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
Thanks Willcox, they sent the one I got today. It's the top corners. Am I missing something? They won't lay on the window, or fit in the opening properly.
Thanks Alan... I've had a long three days this week but you're always spot on..

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Rear window rubber

Quick Reply: Rear window rubber