C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duntov Motor Company?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Hmm...

Based on this website, seems many have drank the tracdog coolaid "marketing". This may be warranted, maybe not. I don't know either way. I do know that he and I had a phone conversation today and he offered up some solid info. Something he did not have to do and I appreciate it.

Not sure I am drinking the coolaid yet, but we will see. So as far as a hint, I would have to say no, I don't get it. I am fairly new to this website still, but best I can tell, the marketing on this website is pretty one sided to really a couple of individuals, (three if you include Ford on the cover). So far I can say I have appreciated both of the individuals thoughts.

So thank you to both.
This past spring I had to replace the front pinion seal on my 80 and I gave tracdogg2 a call. He was a tremendous help, especially with the pinion preload. He spent a considerable amount of time on the phone, with no marketing (coolaid?) offered.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

You are new here. I, on the other hand have been here since 2001. You see a lot of things in that time, and hundreds of posts and experiences from other members. All of my recommendations are based on this. Cool Aid, no. Knowledge, a wholly satisfied customer base, yes. Fifteen + years here, and other forums, you get a good feel for who you can trust, solely based on my own, and other members experiences. Take it for what it's worth.

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 09-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I've got to get out more. Never heard the term "Cool-aid marketing".
But I'm sure it involves selling something. Me?, I'm giving it away. 40 years of experience, to anyone that asks for it. I get equal pleasure whether it's a large corporation, a repair shop, or someone that has a question at 11pm on a Sunday night. I don't know of anyone else that will answer their phone 24 hours a day just to help someone.
If I recommend not using a company I have a pretty good reason. Reasons I am not allowed to talk about on a open forum such as this one. Kill the messenger, so to speak. Many people here know exactly what I am talking about.
I'm not selling anything or promoting anything. I don't tell people what to do. I just explain all the facts and let them decide for themselves.
Mike
The following 5 users liked this post by tracdogg2:
73racevette (09-07-2016), Kubs (09-07-2016), pippo350 (09-10-2016), Richard Daugird (09-08-2016), Torqued Off (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks to all. Very much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

My friend owns Mongoose Motorsports and legally bought all the molds for the Grand Sport and GTP from GM. Duntov tried to sue them thinking Mongoose was trying to copy their Grand Sports. Like Tracdogg said, Mongoose is officially licensed by GM. Long story short, I will never buy anything to support Duntov because of the way they treated my friend.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Marketing

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Hmm...

Based on this website, seems many have drank the tracdog coolaid "marketing". This may be warranted, maybe not. I don't know either way. I do know that he and I had a phone conversation today and he offered up some solid info. Something he did not have to do and I appreciate it.

Not sure I am drinking the coolaid yet, but we will see. So as far as a hint, I would have to say no, I don't get it. I am fairly new to this website still, but best I can tell, the marketing on this website is pretty one sided to really a couple of individuals, (three if you include Ford on the cover). So far I can say I have appreciated both of the individuals thoughts.

So thank you to both.
I am not sure I understand your comments, but when it comes to forums, and individuals opinions on specific people like Traccdog and Lars on Carbs, and Dewitts radiators, the recommendations are not based on monetary bias like you see on websites for vendors, but on regular people having good experiences with these people. I trust that WAY more than I trust some vendor proclaiming their expertise....on the very product the sell. You can do whatever you want, but the true value of this and any other forum is networking with PEOPLE who have learned by EXPERIENCE who does the best job. There is no COOLAID with Traccdog, Lars, or Dewitts,...simply facts supported by broad based experiences with many people on the forum.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 09-07-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
I've got to get out more. Never heard the term "Cool-aid marketing".
I'm not selling anything or promoting anything. I don't tell people what to do. I just explain all the facts and let them decide for themselves.
Mike
Has something to do with Jim Jones in Guyana!

I wish there were more folks with your ethic. Always willing to help. Hell, I'd pay more just to do business with a stand up guy such as yourself. Can't put a price on good service.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (09-08-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 12:39 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

There are lots of vendors out there without reason to be concerned about using them so why take the chance? I had experiences with Duntov. I was using them for a while, bought a diff assembly from them spndles, bushings etc. Good web site, I liked dealing with Alan, until a couple of years later my diff started to fail. Stub axles wore out. By then there was something weird going on there, can't talk to Alan, they won't return warranty discussion emails. Say they use Lonestar stub yokes - mine were not. Talked to Alans brother - he says stub yokes should only last 50k miles[?!]. Talked to Ken McCormick of Lonestar - "Warranty on the reman stub axles is a lifetime warranty but service life should be 20 or more years and the same on the new ones. Hope this helps". So they sent my stub yokes for 1/2 price [I get no labor]. If I sent the old ones back they 'may' refund the balance, but after seeing some others have trouble receiving agreed credit I chose to cut my losses and not pay to ship them back.
Too bad ...
They won't get any more of my money.

Quick Reply: Duntov Motor Company?