C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L.E.D. Tail light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM
skibber
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L.E.D. Tail light issue

I just installed L.E.D. tail lights on my 72. I used the included electronic flasher and added load resistors to the L.E.D's. They work great! My problem now is none of my conventional lamps (Front Parking/Turn/Markers/Rear Markers) work at all. Did I miss something? Any ideas? Thanks all.

Last edited by skibber; 09-25-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 PM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I had the same issue with the indicators and the flasher unit is the wrong way for the L shaped plug you need to make up some leads to swap the flasher units two connectors the other way round.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:13 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

What sug said, the flasher connector pins need swapped. I recently switched the tail and front lights to LEDs and had the same problem. The pins come out the connector with a small screwdriver, no need to cut any wires.

But another thing is: Why did you add load resistors? Load resistors are for applications where there is no electronic flasher available. They make the LEDs use the same power as the incandescents so the factory flasher works. Since you have the electronic flasher you don't need load resistors.

Btw, for the front I used these neat "switchback" LEDs so my running lights are white and it switches to amber for the turn signals. Be aware that if you use LEDs in the front you'll have to change the wiring for the front side marker, otherwise the turn signals won't work. If you only change the rears you don't need to change any wiring (except the flasher connector as stated above).

Last edited by zwede; 09-25-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:19 PM
skibber
Cruising

Originally Posted by zwede
What sug said, the connectors need swapped. I recently switched the tail and front lights to LEDs and had the same problem. The pins come out the connector with a small screwdriver, no need to cut any wires.

But another thing is: Why did you add load resistors? Load resistors are for applications where there is no electronic flasher available. They make the LEDs use the same power as the incandescents so the factory flasher works. Since you have the electronic flasher you don't need load resistors.
Because initially the L.E.D.'s didn't work either. After the resistors they work fine. Thanks for your help. Will try it tomorrow
Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 PM
skibber
Cruising

Originally Posted by sug
I had the same issue with the indicators and the flasher unit is the wrong way for the L shaped plug you need to make up some leads to swap the flasher units two connectors the other way round.
Thank you
Old 09-25-2016, 10:28 PM
skibber
Cruising

What sug said, the flasher connector pins need swapped. I recently switched the tail and front lights to LEDs and had the same problem. The pins come out the connector with a small screwdriver, no need to cut any wires.

Btw, for the front I used these neat "switchback" LEDs so my running lights are white and it switches to amber for the turn signals. Be aware that if you use LEDs in the front you'll have to change the wiring for the front side marker, otherwise the turn signals won't work. If you only change the rears you don't need to change any wiring (except the flasher connector as stated above).
Thanks, I never would have figured that one out!! lol
Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 AM
KrisB410
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What wires need to be changed? I have a set of switchbacks I'd love to be using.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 AM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by KrisB410
What wires need to be changed? I have a set of switchbacks I'd love to be using.
Stock is the side markers alternate when the running lights are on. You have to wire the side marker to be in parallel with the turn signal. It's been a while since I did it, but I think I had to cut one of the wires to the side marker and connect it to ground. Or if you don't care about the side marker you can just pull the bulb and the turn signals work fine.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:40 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM
zwede
Race Director

The following users liked this post:
worship79 (09-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies