C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't turn off

My 71 engine has now decided to not shut off! There is 12 volts on the coil even when key is in off pos. any ideas.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 71454
My 71 engine has now decided to not shut off! There is 12 volts on the coil even when key is in off pos. any ideas.
Thanks
It's possible that your ignition switch, the one on top of the column just above your foot... is out of sync with your key position.

photo courtesy Paragon Corvette Reproductions
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...elescopic.aspx

The switch is attached with screws to the mast and if it comes loose it can move out of sync. It is connected to the key via a rod that runs down the top of the column. With the key in the off position, I would reach on top of the column and push the rod gently toward the steering column. If this cuts the power to the coil, you've found your problem. You'll need to loosen the screws on the switch and slide it down the column just a very small amount then re-tighten them.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-27-2016, 10:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'd take a hard look at the ignition switch. Jim Shea has some nice instructions on his site that'll tell you how to adjust the rod if indeed that is the issue. But in most cases it's probably the switch has failed.

Willcox
Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you look at the picture above, you can see where the metal portion of the switch is "clamped" to the plastic body. Internally there are a springs and contacts that do their best to separate the switch over time. I have seen them where the switch has partially separated and the switch will partially function. If that does happen, and you know what you're doing, you can often re-clamp the switch and it will be as good as new.

Ford used a similar switch for many years and actually did a recall as the switches were coming apart and they would arc and over heat, sometimes causing a fire. I had an '89 Bronco that was recalled and when they handed me the old switch you could see where it had already begun to over heat. Other than a switch starting to separate, I never saw evidence of overheating in the Corvette switch.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I had that problem once. Turned out it was the alternator failing and backfeeding the coil. Found that out after I had pulled the column and replaced the ignition switch.

Last edited by stumpshot; 09-28-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To won't turn off

Quick Reply: won't turn off