C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 03:50 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 772 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by oledave60

Here is something else you could check. 68 and earlier had the shift shaft with the stud and nut, which you have. It uses a different shift lever from the 69 and later trans that uses a 3/8" bolt. The slot in the 69 is larger than the earlier models and if someone used one on your trans, it could be loose, as they do not have a snug fit.

Just a thought. Good luck, Dave

Sorry, disregard, I now see that you have a Borg-Warner and not a Muncie. Dave
Does your wife know you take pictures of dirty car parts on her nice couch?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe how many variations there are to these!

So, here's what I discovered today. I made the gage tool (which I couldn't get in. What a PITA.) But I pulled the 2 shift rods off, and with the help of my hand dandy AIM, discovered a washer missing behind one of the levers, hence the "play" I described earlier. Also, from the inside of the vehicle, I removed the center console to reveal the lower shifter boot which is absolutely beat to H*#L. But, looking down through shifter hole at the bolt that holds the shifter, I turned that bolt with my fingers! So there was/is a lot loose that I'm cleaning up.

I'll continue to fight with the gage tool into that slot, switch over to the short throw, grease up and hopefully I'll be on to my next issue, I mean project. Lol.

Thanks again to all for chiming in. You guys are awesome!!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Update:

I spent the better part of the weekend working on this. I finally managed to get the gage tool into the slot, aligned everything, dropped the rods down to the short shift position, lubed and tightened everything up and aside from a lot of curse words and a few tool thrown against the wall, got it done. Lol. I just fired her up and went on a little test drive. The shifting is definitely a lot better than before. Not quite as sloppy and the short throw is a lot nicer. I still do have a little difficulty getting out of Reverse and am wondering if that has anything to do with that cable I mentioned at the start of the thread? I understand it's purpose now, for the reverse ignition lock, but just wonder if that has anything to do with it taking a little effort to get it out of reverse?

Also, and back to my original post where it was having some lagging, it still does have something going on. At idle, it's only idling at about 300-500RPM. Now I didn't really drive it long enough to really get it up to operating temperature, but when the issue started last week, it was doing this then too. I'm still getting used to the car and have only driven it a couple of times, so the stalling might have been a result of me getting used to the clutch, etc. But any ideas on the low idle?? It almost dies unless I give it some gas. Vacuum leak? Carb?
Thanks!!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,475 Likes on 4,008 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Theres many things that can affect the idle.

Idle set screws
Timing
Idle mixture screws.

And vacuum leaks

I would check the timing, use a vacuum gauge to see how much vacuum you are pulling.
Adjust the idle mixture screws to the manufactures instructions. If that is all set just turn the idle set screw in to bump up the idle

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 10-16-2016 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Danny76 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Ok, thanks for that. I'll have to get a vacuum gauge. I'm sure I'll be needing it.

One thing at a time.....
Old 10-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,475 Likes on 4,008 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Exactly.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2016, 03:03 AM
theandies
Team Owner

itYou can check the throttle stop too. If it has backed out or is a little out of adjustment it could cause a low idle. I know my '71 factory idle setting is 700RPM and if I happen to release the choke too soon (I converted to electric) by blipping the throttle before reaching temp my idle is low. 4 to 500 and I have to be careful and not let it die. Ahh the joys of a carb!!! Back in the day you actually had to know how to drive a car.

Edit Your lockout cable may be the problem with reverse. You could disconnect it at the steering column and test it. Sometimes I have some trouble getting mine into reverse but it was that way before I installed the lockout cable recently.

Last edited by theandies; 10-17-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Theandies since my cable is disconnected at the lever, do you mean test it by unhooking from the steering and then hooking up at the lever and see if the reverse works better?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 PM
theandies
Team Owner

If it's disconnected at the transfer then it's not your problem unless its getting in the way and hitting the lever.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Ok, it's disconnected so probably not the issue. It's just when I go from R to N, I really have to search for that click where I can then get into 1st gear.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM
theandies
Team Owner

If it's disconnected at the transfer then it's not your problem unless its getting in the way and hitting the lever.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

WELCOME to the wonderful world of 76"s, is yours an early or late 76?? you will need to know when ordering some parts. Need anything for yours?? I have some spare parts, but have sold alot of them off.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
WELCOME to the wonderful world of 76"s, is yours an early or late 76?? you will need to know when ordering some parts. Need anything for yours?? I have some spare parts, but have sold alot of them off.
I guess it would be considered early. Built in October of 75. What do you have?? I can probably use anything. Lol. Actually, it's pretty good overall. I just really want to dial in on these small issues. I'm learning as I go! Fun, but frustrating as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Hey guys, in general how much, if any, should the shifter move while in Neutral? I noticed the main bolt holding the shifter in place was very loose, so I tightened it up, however the shifter is still a little "wobbly." Is that normal on these cars? Should they have some play when just sitting in N?

Thanks as always!!

Last edited by Danny76; 10-19-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:15 PM
theandies
Team Owner

I don't know what you mean by wobble. Mine feels like any shifter I've ever owned in N meaning I can move it around in a circle if-you-will between the gears.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Originally Posted by theandies
I don't know what you mean by wobble. Mine feels like any shifter I've ever owned in N meaning I can move it around in a circle if-you-will between the gears.
That sounds like mine. I think it's just normal. Thanks andies! I'm gonna install a new rubber lower shifter boot, button things up then start working on this low idle issue. Getting there!

Quick Reply: Shifting problems, please help!