C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Yeah, I cheaped out and kept the oem shoes.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Yeah, I cheaped out and kept the oem shoes.
Actually...in my opinion you did not 'cheap out'. If I can re-sue the stock brake shoes I do...because I have seen how some of the aftermarket shoes are not quite right.

And by this I mean that I have burnished the brake pads and took the system all back apart only to find that the shoe was not totally burnished. The only area that made contact was the center of the curve of the shoe.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DUB
Actually...in my opinion you did not 'cheap out'. If I can re-sue the stock brake shoes I do...because I have seen how some of the aftermarket shoes are not quite right.

And by this I mean that I have burnished the brake pads and took the system all back apart only to find that the shoe was not totally burnished. The only area that made contact was the center of the curve of the shoe.

DUB
In most cases the original shoes are cracked around the rivet holes and for the cost of the shoe it's cheaper to just replace than to re-use the old shoe.

But........ Brandishing the new/old shoe is a must regardless.... Making sure you have the correct tension and adjustment is also critical. I realize these shoes have a bum rap, but in most cases the customers don't do the proper adjustment procedure and if adjusted properly they will hold the car just like all other parking brake systems.

Willcox
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I realize these shoes have a bum rap, but in most cases the customers don't do the proper adjustment procedure and if adjusted properly they will hold the car just like all other parking brake systems.

Willcox

Mine hold no problem until the actuator contact tab slips out of the brake shoe after about five or so brake applications.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree...I do not re-use the shoes if they are cracked...but in many cases they look like they were never used.

YES...it is amazing on how much pressure 80 pounds of force feel like when going to the 14th click. Most people would never get it like that because they feel it is not tight. But like I tell them...my gauge does not lie.

Originally Posted by resdoggie

Mine hold no problem until the actuator contact tab slips out of the brake shoe after about five or so brake applications.
I keep forgetting to take a photo to show you the area of the lever I mentioned....some days I am so busy I would forget my head if it were not attached.

DUB

Quick Reply: Parking brake