C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 Headlight Actuator Orientation Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:41 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default '69 Headlight Actuator Orientation Confusion

Since the front end of my '69 was in shambles when I got it, I have no way of knowing how things were before being molested.

The vendor's website where I purchased new actuators from states: "Note: When installing the headlight actuator - often times left or right sides are confused. Original installations featured the vacuum nipple pointed to the OUTSIDE of the Corvette. Often times upon replacement the actuators are mixed up and the correct installation is reversed. This reversal causes issues with the routing of the vacuum hoses allowing the hood to catch or pinch the hose when closed."

Yet, I've see several vacuum diagrams showing the exact opposite, (nipples pointing in) and the AIM appears to show both pointing to the left side. I'd really like to get this one right the first time and avoid having to re-position them later. Does anyone know the correct way to install them?

Thanks,
-Doug
Attached Images  

Last edited by CrossedUp; 11-15-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Doug,
In early 68 production until late February or early March the tubes for the hose connections both pointed to the left side. (In fact the tube itself was not at the 6:00 position on the actuator, it was at about 7:00.)
The info I'm looking at shows the pipes on both actuators pointing toward the outside on 2 fairly unmolested 69s.
Does this have anything to do with the number of relays? 1 or 2?
The 71 AIM shows both pipes pointing outward.
Regards,
Alan

69 Bowtie Car.

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks Alan.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Does this have anything to do with the number of relays? 1 or 2?
That would be my next question. Most of the vendor diagrams I've seen show two. Also, were two relays part of the initial design, or was the second one added later?

-Doug
Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Doug,
I'm thinking that 68 and 69 cars had just one headlight relay and 70-72 cars had two relays.
The single relay screwed right to the headlight reinforcement bar while the set up for 2 relays was a plate that was screwed to the bar and the two relays were screwed to the plate.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-09-2023, 01:17 PM
TommyClocks
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '74 Roadster and both actuator connectors point to the inside. I will rebuild and reinstall in the same orientation, because I cannot see any performance issue caused by either orientation. I have seen photos and illustrations showing both actuators pointing outside and other photos show both actuators hose connections pointing outside. Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by TommyClocks; 10-10-2023 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:32 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

It's a 9 year old thread you're on...
But to your question, The AIM shows them pointing to the outsides but there is no working difference which way they are installed. BUT, there's slightly more room for the hoses if they go off the actuators to the outside and it keeps the hoses away from the point of the hood when it swings down while opening. A lot of them get re-installed pointing inwards I believe because the relays are in the center and in makes sense that the hoses should point there... but that actually crowds them more
M
Old 10-10-2023, 11:48 PM
TommyClocks
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly what I needed to know. I was more concerned that there would be functional binding or component wear, by installing them on the wrong side. After rebuilding the actuators with new seals, they function very well. Thanks for the reply.

The actuators looked a little sad so I had to paint and clear coat them. Not anodized, but close.

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Headlight Actuator Orientation Confusion

Quick Reply: '69 Headlight Actuator Orientation Confusion