C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Is it leaking where the hose goes to the adapter fitting or where the adapter goes to the steering box?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just took a closer look and it seems that there is ps fluid between the hose fitting and the adapter piece, so it seems the hose to adapter is leaking at least. hopefully the adapter piece to the box itself worked because that one involves the box which I rather not remove. I am pretty sure I did it right last go around, but will give it another try.

I'm going to open up the pressure hose to adapter fitting tonight, clean it up and get it back together with more hydraulic sealant. then top it off and keep an eye on both to make sure I spot it better next time. I feel like its the flare fitting on the hose itself is not sealing, so even with the adapter it isn't sealing... might have to try a new hose if this doesn't work.

When I first installed the box, the steering was super tight. now it seems that there is a little play, not sure if its this whole leaking or running low on fluid thing, the ps fluid dripping on the new ram thing, or whatever was left of my control arm bushings are now completely shot due to the tighter steering (very possible, they look really bad). I guess I will tackle them one at a time. Also will get it aligned haven't had it checked yet so that probably factors in too.

Last edited by Ali Vette; 12-28-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I removed the hose fitting from the adapter and realized I didn't put thread sealer on this part. I was expecting the adapter to make a good seal to the hose fitting (the original reason the adapter was used), but clearly that isn't the case. hoping that the pneumatic thread sealant will do the trick and I tightened it down pretty good again.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali Vette
Just to update, I used the fitting and hydraulic sealant and all was good for a while, then It started again after a few months. still not sure how it could leak after all that but I am going to take it apart again and have another look. I regret not going with the rack because this leak is really bothering me. not only does it leak on the floor but it leaks right onto the new steering ram thing that comes in the kit and I am afraid its going to wash out the grease and cause issues. I already repacked it with grease once...

Has anyone made a new hose that would work with the o-ring ends. at this point I wouldn't mind running a better hose. for now I am going to open it back up and clean and reseal it and hope for the best.
Dealing with this now, did the adapters work, I just ordered two

Quick Reply: Borgeson leak