C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Corvette T-Top - Passenger side front

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1976 Corvette T-Top - Passenger side front

I have included photos, finally, so anyone who thinks they know what is going on with this passenger T-Top can get an idea of what I am talking about. These pics have no weatherstripping on the T-Tops, so it's not that, and I have adjusted them on all 4 corners so they are square and fit factory just like the driver side, which is not a problem. Can anyone figure out why this top is sitting high on the passenger front but not the T-Top on the driver front. I have been working on them about every weekend trying everything in the AIM, online sources, youtube (waste of time), etc.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Looks like the right side top is warped, has a bow in it. Not sure what to do about it though.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi J,
Did this panel fit well at one time?
It looks to me like the outer/forward corner of the roof panel 'may' be being held high by the windshield header trim.
Has that corner trim been off?
Can you post a couple of photos of that area with the roof panel removed?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-04-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

try another t-top from another car on there to see which part is the problem? or hold a straight edge across the top and then on the windshield fram to see which is the problem. had the car very long??/ maybe this problem came with the car when you bought it??/ any history on the car you can share with us????
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

You cant get it right w/no weatherstripping.Put on rubber then adjust. Looks as though the T-Top/windshield center trim is bent up

Last edited by gjohnson; 12-05-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Chop Shop
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 76's right side ttop looks the same way. I'll get pics later today.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Chop Shop
Cruising

Mines the same way
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Chop Shop
Cruising

Any luck on the fix for this?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Adjusting the T-tops with no weatherstripping is a waste of time to be honest. Install the correct type of weatherstrip and then do your adjustments. Doing it that way will give you the 'real world' end result..and that is only because I do this stuff for a living every day...and just trying to not have you waste your time and get frustrated.

AND ...do not be surprised that if the w/strips you install are too dense that you might have a fight on your hands versus the correct designed latex w/strips.

DUB
Old 12-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Chop Shop
Cruising

Mine still has original weatherstripping. I think it just might be a 76 thing. Lol My cars only got 37,000 on the ticker and looks the same as the original posters does with the strips in. But my car is an early 76, built Aug. 75.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Default T-Top misaligned

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi J,
Did this panel fit well at one time?
It looks to me like the outer/forward corner of the roof panel 'may' be being held high by the windshield header trim.
Has that corner trim been off?
Can you post a couple of photos of that area with the roof panel removed?
Regards,
Alan

Here is a photo of the car a year or so ago; the only change is that this spring when I sanded/polished the stainless steel under the tops at the T-Bar, I left the t-tops in their bags for a month and the right one has not fit since... don't know if this is related (cause/effect)... I will have to take photos of the T-Bar for you...

Manassas Car Show - June 2015
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Default t-tops

Originally Posted by DUB
Adjusting the T-tops with no weatherstripping is a waste of time to be honest. Install the correct type of weatherstrip and then do your adjustments. Doing it that way will give you the 'real world' end result..and that is only because I do this stuff for a living every day...and just trying to not have you waste your time and get frustrated.

AND ...do not be surprised that if the w/strips you install are too dense that you might have a fight on your hands versus the correct designed latex w/strips.

DUB
The purpose of the weatherstrip removal was to get the top as close to the t-bar as possible and also eliminate any reason for the misalignment, like weatherstripping interference... you think this misalignment is bad, let me reinstall the w/s and let the fun begin... it's almost double what you can see now. I've included a pic from 1-1/2 years ago at a local rally... appreciate you taking time with this, esp. since you are a professional... do you think the windshield install is a problem? This is the 3rd w/s in the car...

Manassas Corvette Rally - June 2015
Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
try another t-top from another car on there to see which part is the problem? or hold a straight edge across the top and then on the windshield fram to see which is the problem. had the car very long??/ maybe this problem came with the car when you bought it??/ any history on the car you can share with us????
looking for one from a friend's '71...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chop Shop
Any luck on the fix for this?
No sir. Not yet... work has had me tied down...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjohnson
You cant get it right w/no weatherstripping.Put on rubber then adjust. Looks as though the T-Top/windshield center trim is bent up
the windshield is not installed correctly... too low in the w/s chamber... most people (99%) don't know how to install a C3 w/s...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Adding the rubber back on will take the top up another 1/2" with it being adjusted with no shims and the lock lever so tight it takes 2 hands and a pair of pliers to unlatch... I took the rubber off to get the top as low as possible and not have any interference to see if the weatherstrip was the problem, initially... look at the top 1-1/2 years ago...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi j,
Is there any chance the 'guide pin' isn't in quite the proper location and isn't sliding down into the 'receiver' fully?
Loosen the two twelve point bolts to let the pin move freely.
???
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Corvette T-Top - Passenger side front

Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi j,
Is there any chance the 'guide pin' isn't in quite the proper location and isn't sliding down into the 'receiver' fully?
Loosen the two twelve point bolts to let the pin move freely.
???
Regards,
Alan

The photos of mine were taken with nothing tightened, just the latches in lock position... the guide pin, inner bayonets, rear corner hold down... you can literally move the t-top any direction as it sits on the car, which I did. I pushed all the way forward, backward, and inward each time closing the latches tight (very tight) and I photographed the best position I could manage. My buddy has a '71 and he said I could use his tops to test their fitment. If it's still a problem, I will have to pull off the t-bar, windshield, stainless moldings, a-pillars, birdcage frame, etc. and start over... not wanting to do that, of course!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

QUESTION:

Was a new windshield recently installed and AFTER the photo you posted in POST # 16 when the T-tops were fine?????.

I have seen and experienced a very few cars that when the windshield was removed and replaced....that movement of the pillar post did cause a problem...but it is not common.

IF a car is getting its windshield replaced and it is NOT on level ground....then YES...that can cause for problems....even though many may think that is a bunch of crap.

I seriously doubt that even if a windshield is set too low in the channel. All that will do is make it look like crap and have gaps between the windshield and trim. That will not effect the sealing area of the T-tops and how they fit to the car.

Not knowing where the tops were stored and the temperatures they were stored in for that month...and how they were positioned when sittign there. I can say that I can see the hump in the right top.

It makes no sense that IF the weatherstrip you have in the top now is what was in the top in the photo you posted in POST #16.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Default T-tops

Originally Posted by DUB
QUESTION:

Was a new windshield recently installed and AFTER the photo you posted in POST # 16 when the T-tops were fine?????.

I ahve seen and experienced a very few cars that when the windshield was removed and replaced....that movement of the pillar post did cause a problem...but it is not common.

IF a car is getting its windshield replaced and it is NOT on level ground....then YES...that can cause for problems....even though many may think that is a bunch of crap.

I seriously doubt that even if a windshield is set too low in the channel. All that will do is make it look like crap and have gaps between the windshield and trim. That will not effect the sealing area of the T-tops and how they fit to the car.

Not knowing where the tops were stored and the temperatures they were stored in for that month...and how they were positioned when sittign there. I can say that I can see the hump in the right top.

It makes no sense that IF the weatherstrip you have in the top now is what was in the top in the photo you posted in POST #16.

DUB
I appreciate your reply. The windshield was replaced back in 2012. So the pic #16 was after the windshield was replaced years before and the guy did a nice job. A little gap in the trim at top and side pillars, but not too bad. I have also thought that the car could have flexed when getting aggressive with the tops out. It is high performance and I've been known to have a little fast fun from time to time...LOL. Why own a fast car, right? What do you know about this? I heard when Chevrolet first designed the L body in 1968, there wasn't a t-bar and had a one piece removable top, but body flex made the test cars unsafe for final approval and production. I hope to meet my friend with his '71 and try another set of tops to further define where the problem resides...

Quick Reply: 1976 Corvette T-Top - Passenger side front