C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plug wires or ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:36 PM
buelldude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug wires or ???

So with this new project car of mine, I'm getting the little things that I have found first; fixed first. So I have started with oils and now doing plugs/cap/wires. I had to fix the exhaust first, I couldn't take it-all of it.
So the wires were todays project, who came up with those heat shields by the block??????? I don't know if the wires are suppose to be put behind the motor mounts but they were and someone had put tie wraps on to hold them together. Pain in the _____! So does everyone use the shields or run without them?

So what is more of a pain to do then the wires?

Last edited by buelldude; 12-14-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
Originally the 2 forward plug wires ran through the opening in the motor mounts. It's easiest to accomplish that by starting to run those wires from the plug end so you're pushing the distributor wire end through the motor mount.
The 4 spark plug heat shields and 2 spark plug boomerang heat shields are a nuisance to mount but do protect the wires from the exhaust heat.
Regards,
Alan

This is left side looking from the front… you can see the path of the wire through the mount.

And the boomerang shield that protects those wires from the exhaust heat.

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-14-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

One of the tricks to routing the plug wires through the mount is to remove the plug wire boot and reinstall it after the wire has been fed through the mount.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I took the bottom shields off because I am running headers, bought wires that withstand higher heat and keep them away from the headers by running them as if they were stock wires, kept the chrome pieces in the back to hold wires in place back there.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by buelldude
So does everyone use the shields or run without them?

If you still have them....use them.

So what is more of a pain to do then the wires?
A lot more on this car is more of a pain than the spark plugs wires. I just do not want to begin the long list. The spark plug wires and routing is a 'walk in the park' compared to some other areas on a Corvette. And I am commenting from decades of experience on that.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-15-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you have the old wires running through the boomerang remove a wire and the boot from the distributor end and tie a string to the end and pull the wire out from the plug end.
Remove the same boot from the new wire, attach the string and pull it back up.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

route them any way you want
looks cleaner running underneath but honestly over or behind the valve covers doesnt matter to anyone except you
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
looks cleaner running underneath but honestly over or behind the valve covers doesnt matter to anyone except you
Old 12-16-2016, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Not meaning to be a 'Killjoy'. Actually it 'kinda does' make a difference if a person is concerned about the heat from the cast iron exhaust manifolds. I personally/ professionally would not want wires going over the top of my valve covers and then have to go over the top of my cast iron manifolds to make it to the spark plugs.

Now with the Corvettes I work on with headers....if the tubes allow a clean path for the wires to make it to the spark plugs...then routing them over the top of the valve covers and coming down would be OK...because there is not a hot tube under the wires radiating heat upwards.

And also using the heat boots and sleeving material to further protect the spark plug wires and boots from heat does not hurt either.

DUB
Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not meaning to be a 'Killjoy'. Actually it 'kinda does' make a difference if a person is concerned about the heat from the cast iron exhaust manifolds. I personally/ professionally would not want wires going over the top of my valve covers and then have to go over the top of my cast iron manifolds to make it to the spark plugs.

Now with the Corvettes I work on with headers....if the tubes allow a clean path for the wires to make it to the spark plugs...then routing them over the top of the valve covers and coming down would be OK...because there is not a hot tube under the wires radiating heat upwards.

And also using the heat boots and sleeving material to further protect the spark plug wires and boots from heat does not hurt either.

DUB
I gave up and put on ceramic plug boot ends, and sealed the wires with RTV against any water/corrosion, grenade proof for about ten years now....knock on wood.....
Old 12-17-2016, 04:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
I gave up and put on ceramic plug boot ends, and sealed the wires with RTV against any water/corrosion, grenade proof for about ten years now....knock on wood.....
Once again I hear of something that I have never heard of before. I have never heard of using RTV on spark plug wire boots to seal them. Seems to work for you which is great.

I use dielectric grease which seals out moisture at my shop.

DUB
Old 12-19-2016, 08:19 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm just doing this on my 70 and after I had all the wires off I was thinking how the h--l am I going to re installed them . But I'm doing it by the book so wish me patience I remember doing this to my 80 and had a good swearing session at the engineers that invented this , but was glad when it was all done right .
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

The GM side covers (cant see mine very well in the picture below, retained on the rebuild of the L-82 in 2014) are a god sent to keep the wires off the manifolds or headers. I use Accel 9000 ceramic boot wires (not on in the pictures below) which are also head and shoulders above most of the wires out there, especially with headers which I have.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-19-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To plug wires or ???

Quick Reply: plug wires or ???