C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Controlled Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf

Page 20 has the wiring diagram that is closest to your setup. In your case the crank signals comes from the distributor, so ignore the crank trigger. The CDI and coil part applies to you.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:09 PM
zwede
Race Director

I don't really see the point in you using the dual sync though. It provides a cam sync which allows port injection systems to run the injectors sequentially. But you have throttle body injection so you can't use sequential mode anyway. I'd recommend a regular 8-pin small cap HEI distributor instead. It plugs right in to the holley system, and you don't need a CDI box as the HEI module drives the coil.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:32 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I don't really see the point in you using the dual sync though. It provides a cam sync which allows port injection systems to run the injectors sequentially. But you have throttle body injection so you can't use sequential mode anyway. I'd recommend a regular 8-pin small cap HEI distributor instead. It plugs right in to the holley system, and you don't need a CDI box as the HEI module drives the coil.
So I understand the cdi box gets triggered by the white points out wire, but I'm supposed to hook it to the loose white wire in my ECU harness that's labeled "not used" ? and my terminator manual says to never, never connect any of the ECU wires to the cdi box. Makes me a little nervous.

I really only wanted it because of the timing advance and that it was supposed to plug and play with my ECU which it is but nothing else about it is. I'm probably stuck with it now so I gotta make it work.

Last edited by greghennings; 03-18-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Two other things, I should remember that the ECU for my terminator setup is a hp ECU so if I follow the manual you posted zwede I should be fine right?

Also I remember now the retail price for Holley's distributor is $429, and I wasnt going to pay that but summit had a sale going the week of Christmas and I picked it up for $386. So that's another why I bought it.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM
zwede
Race Director

Terminator manual p.14:

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...10-550-405.pdf

Points Output – Color = White – Used for ignition configurations that must be configured with a laptop computer. See pages 13-21 in
the Holley EFI Wiring Manual, located at http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf or go to www.holley.com, click on
SUPPORT, then TECH SERVICE, scroll down and click Resource Documents & Library. Go to the Fuel Injection tab and scroll down to
the Holley EFI Wiring Manual.
and my terminator manual says to never, never connect any of the ECU wires to the cdi box.
I think you misread the warning (bolding mine):

CAUTION! NEVER, NEVER connect any of the EFI wires to the coil on any CD type ignition system. The ECU will be permanently
damaged!
If you currently have the yellow wire connected to the coil, you must disconnect it when you add the CDI. You will use the crank trigger input instead of the yellow wire (yellow wire will be unused).

Last edited by zwede; 03-18-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Ah yeah, now that's all making sense . I definitely read that line wrong, this sounds good now. I'll get that CD box ordered up, should have it by wednesday, zwede where did you put your? i'm starting to run out of real-estate under my hood. I'm thinking behind/next to the power brake booster there's a nice cubby but i've already got a vacuum reservoir jammed in there, i could re-route that with less complications...
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 PM
zwede
Race Director

I put it on the passenger side wheel well, underneath the coolant tank. Pretty good access to that area with the gill removed.

A tip is to twist the wires going from the CDI to the coil. Drastically cuts down on interference (it cancels out the EMI). And you need a good power feed to the CDI, I took mine off the starter. The ground can go to the frame or engine, doesn't matter.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Well i got it going finally. I got my Summit Racing CDi box, my ECU is already occupying my passenger wheel well, so i ended up removing my washer fluid reservoir and mounting the cd box to the fiberglass/firewall underneath the power brake booster. Worked perfectly! Its perfectly flat and you can get your arm down behind it and use the rubber stands and nuts. Wiring was no problem, only difficulty was getting to the starter positive terminal, i had to add on to the wire but no problem. Fired right up.

I've got a little tweaking to do, right now it run ok. But it'll stall if i rev it up and let off the gas right away. Or like when i start it it'll high idle and then low idle and die. I can keeping running with just a little throttle.

I think i need to adjust the inductive delay. The manual say to use "enable static timing" in the software, which i did. It comes up "set timing value" Well the manual doesn't say what to set it at or what to do with it. How do i use this? Or should i just use my timing light and check it versus what my monitor says it is and adjust the inductive delay that way?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Also, between my ecu and cdi box running directly off the battery, should a guy put a battery disconnect in some where and maybe shut it off if the cars not in use for a while?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 PM
zwede
Race Director

ECU and CDI should not use any power with ignition off so no need for a battery disconnect.

To adjust the inductive delay you enable static timing as you found. The value you put in is what the advance will be while you do the test so you need to pick something that works for idle as well as reving it in neutral. 25 degrees is what I use. Then take a timing light to it and adjust so you have 25 degrees at idle. Next rev it to 3000 rpm and check again. If it's still 25 dgrs you're done. If it is not you adjust the inductive delay until it reads the same at idle and 3000 rpm. Finally disable static timing so everything is back to normal.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM
greghennings
Instructor

ok that cleared up for me. i got that done. that's a really neat trick, i set it for 25 deg. it holds that 25 degs just solid all the way to 3000 rpm. I didn't have to adjust the inductive delay at all. So now, i've still got a bit of a stalling problem around idle. It will kill it i put in gear without a little throttle. Any ideas? I know some of you guys mentioned about the cdi boxes are better at high rpms then low rpms could that be the trouble? if so is there a way to compensate for that? the car before ran like a dream, i hate to go backwards in performance.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

What's your timing map like? It needs to be stable around idle. You should have the same advance in neutral and in drive. What idle timing did you have before and what do you have now?

Last edited by zwede; 03-25-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM
greghennings
Instructor

you know i got to thinking too. i had to update my firmware for the ecu and so i had to start over, i wonder if i just need to drive the thing so that it'll learn...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM
zwede
Race Director

Yeah, if you started over with a default fuel map it needs to relearn.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM
greghennings
Instructor

tomorrow morning i'll try and take it out and i'll watch what everything is doing.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 PM
greghennings
Instructor

Oops, forgot to post from Sunday. Took the car out and filled it up with some fresh gas and put 20 miles on or so and it runs better. I think I gotta get a little more time on the road and it'll be fine. I'd say case closed.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Old 03-30-2017, 12:28 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

FYI.....the reason Holley recommends MSD is because they now own MSD.

Was just talking with a friend last weekend about MSD and he told me the horror story he had awhile back.
He changed everything over to Dakota Sensors.......

Changed the distributor to match the box. Has programmable rev limiter.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Ignition-S...on-System.html

Quick Reply: EFI Controlled Distributor