C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific technique for Headlight Actuator reinstall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Specific technique for Headlight Actuator reinstall?

I know there are a ton of actuator posts and I swear I've read them all, but cannot find any photos or videos showing the installation of the actuator on a c3 from the underneath/through the grill opening. True, mine came out through the opening and all the posts I've read indicate that it needs to be "turned until it goes back through", but I am trying my darndest to do it the same way it came out, but have been banging my head against the wall for at least an hour trying to get this thing back into position! Does anyone have a specific starting orientation? I am working on the passenger side, and looking at the car, I am attempting to start with the pushrod pointed toward the passenger fender and the rear vacuum line toward the driver side. I have been trying to "roll" it back into the void but the bolts and/or the vacuum line keeps getting hung up preventing that final roll?! Frustrating to say the least. Hoping there is another orientation I have not tried yet to start the process. I could swear I've tried everything, but obviously it's still not back in, so...any help with this final step is appreciated. I'm good getting everything else back together and buttoned up. Thanks in advance!

Update: Finally banged my head a couple of more times and made it work. In hindsight, part of the issue is that when it finally came out, I had tried so many different positions, I was a bit surprised it actually freed up, so I did not have any specific recollection of the exact movements that allowed it to free up. Naturally, when I reinstalled it, the same thing happened - some random movement while twisting it and turning it, and suddenly, it was into the void! In follow up, got the unit back in with new seals, installed two new relays, a new check valve, stripped and painted the support rods, replaced all the bulbs and the old crusty steel screws with SS and polished off the overspray from the chrome trim rings when PO painted the car with the surrounds in. Just a typical day de-bubbafying. Although this job was one of the more frustrating, I am loving watching the car come slowly back to life and having a spot to pat myself on the back and extract all the expert advise from others. Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge base!

Last edited by Highlander1732; 04-19-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Solved the issue
Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
It's difficult to understand what you're facing without knowing the year of your car…. no hint in your post or in your profile.
Are you working with the hood open or closed?
Headlight up or down?
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi H,
It's difficult to understand what you're facing without knowing the year of your car…. no hint in your post or in your profile.
Are you working with the hood open or closed?
Headlight up or down?
Regards,
Alan
Alan, thanks for your note. I just updated my original post as I was able to solve the issue with a bit more persistence/patience. I was remiss in jumping the gun and posting with no information (I'll have to update my profile). Incidentally, the car is a 1975 convertible. I ended up doing the entire project under the car with the parking light grills out and the hood down. Lights work fantastically now (I'm assuming like new). This is my first Corvette and so far, it seems as though I'm addressing all the "typical" C3 issues. Having fun injecting a new life into this previously well maintained but recently neglected car.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
Well!
I'm glad to hear you were able to get it back into place AND that it's working!!!!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Specific technique for Headlight Actuator reinstall?

Quick Reply: Specific technique for Headlight Actuator reinstall?